“I always saw this place crowded... ” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Black's Bar & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 301 restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norfolk
Transit: Three blocks from the BETHESDA METRO.
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“I always saw this place crowded... ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 NEW

I didn't got that same excitement.
I think it's ok but no more than ok.
The waiter was way "too much" talkative w/o giving one single good advice on the sauces to be chosen (and paid extra, so are the vegetables and the side dishes) nor about the wines better related to the chosen food...
The menu has few dishes.
Between the restaurants of the Black' chain the less interesting in my opinion.
On the top of this during the night I was woken up by a strong stomach burning...

As usual in Bethesda and surroundings is pricy, to give you an idea $11.00 and up for a glass of an ordinary imported wine.

61% Recommend
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great location and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 NEW credit card Amex Card Member Review

In the heart of Bethesda, this is a great place to meet up with friends for a celebration. We made reservations in advance for 8. The food was great, the service was terrific and the valet made sure we got our cars quickly. We will definitely return.

Visited July 2014
Spring, Texas, United States
“Great duck nachos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We went for happy hour and sat at the bar. The prices are a little high for us. The atmosphere was happening on a Friday evening. The duck nachos were tasty and flavorful. I wish there was more. The menu looked intriguing if we were wanting expensive food.

Visited August 2014
Maryland
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We gave this place a try after seeing it in the Washingtonian Top 100 Restaurant list. I can't see how it got there. A lot of what we ordered was very good but there were gaping holes. I had the shrimp and avocado salad, which had an excellent dressing but a grand total of 3 shrimp. My wife had mussels; it was served in a terrific soup but more than a quarter of the shells had nothing in them, and no the mussels had not fallen into the soup. The fish special was dull, although it came with a good sauce that saved it, and potato side dish was decent (and happily relatively plentiful). A peach cobbler dessert had a wonderful basil ice cream, but the peach itself was sour. I might add that with plenty of open tables for two, we were seated right next to the kitchen; totally unnecessary, and when we commented the host said there were no other tables for two available (we had passed several along the way). Anyway I'd be okay with all this, but the tab is steep and definitely not worth it. The same owners used to have a restaurant called Addie's that was a gem; our experience was in no way comparable. And, like Mortymom, it was an anniversary. Oh well.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Fabulous food... lovely atmosphere... great outdoor dining...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have dined many times at Black's Bar & Kitchen... for lunch, brunch and dinner. It is in my neighborhood and one of my "go-to" places when I have out of town company. The food has never disappointed and the service is always good. One of the specialties of Black's restaurants is their mussels... I'm REALLY critical if mussels aren't prepared properly and theirs are ALWAYS wonderful. Lovers of raw bars will not be disappointed (or so I've been told) with the very fresh oysters on the half shell... etc. I myself am not a raw bar aficionado. The in-house baked breads at brunch are delightful.. in short... there isn't anything bad to say about dining here except, perhaps, for the difficulty of finding parking in Bethesda. If possible, take the red line metro train to the Bethesda stop and you will find Black's a short walk away from that stop.

• Visited November 2013