“Cute Place” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grapeseed is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 303 Restaurants in Bethesda
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
Description: Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cute Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a nice place to get a good glass of wine and appetizers. Don't expect a full meal but you will like it.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

LaCrosse Wi
“Grapeseed Restaurant Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My daughter and I went here for a light meal. Just soup, appetizer and wine. It was the most expensive meal of the weekend. The portions were modest. The appetizer mushroom in a cream sauce was barely warm. The cream flavor over powered the mushrooms. The soup also lacked flavor and was warm not hot. We will not be back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Delicious and creative menu!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Date night and an on-line deal had my wife and I at Grapeseed once again.
This place is just shy of the main bars, but far enough that it doesn't get much of the spillover crowd.
The crowd here is older and a bit more gentile. Perfect place for a date, or to grab a glass of wine during a business meeting.

Our appetizers were: Butternut Squash Soup with Goat Chees Crostini which she said was absolute delicious. I was offered some, but declined as she was enjoying it too much. I had the mussles - Blue Bay Mussels in a Thai Green Curry with cilantro sauce. Sounds weird, but the spiciness of the curry sauce countered the blandness of the mussels very well. And the portion was excellent - could have even been an entree with 6 more mussels added to it.

Our entrees: My wife had the shrimp scampi, and although she's not usually a fan of this dish (we had 3 choices from the price fix menu), she thoroughly enjoyed it. My Steak Frites (hanger steak) with fries and house-made steak sauce was good. The fries were a bit of an oddity as they were of the generic shoe-string variety. I'd recommend that they made home-made steak fries, as the steak was tasty and the sauce had the perfect consistency and tanginess.

For dessert: We shared the apple crisp with oatmeal raisin ice cream. If they had added two scoops of the ice cream instead of one, I'd give this dessert 5 stars - but alas it only gets - 4.5

Wines -- I enjoyed a smooth Tempranillo, and a French dessert wine with the apple crisp. My wife wasn't drinking that night.

Service: Perfect and personable
Ambiance: Think smooth jazz
Food: (see above)
Wines: Too many to pick from
Prices: A bit pricey, but it is Bethesda
Parking: Nearby lots, street, or valet on Fri & Sat nights
Bathrooms: Clean

Would recommend: Definitely
Would patronize again: Without hesitation

Recommendation:
- Have some lower end wines for those who want to experience Grapeseed, but don't want to pay $50 for a decent bottle. $7.50 for a glass is ok... but a few drinks at $10+ add up quick.
- Feature some Virginia wines.... (they did have a few MD wines)

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Herndon, Virginia
“Pricey and worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had a reservation for an early dinner (at 5:00 pm on a Saturday) before a concert. We arrived a few moments before 5 and a handful of restaurant staff were about and they were all friendly and had us sit near the bar it took until about 5:15 pm (in an empty restaurant) before we were seated. Although off to a bit of an unsettling start, the food would make up for it. We had mussels - the size and smooth texture of which I have rarely encountered. They were in a white wine sauce with what appeared to be cilantro and slices of jalapeno and while it was too spicy for my wife, it went just to the edge of what I can normally tolerate and I easily finished the sizable bowl. We also tried the butternut squash soup - excellent. I had a chicken breast with mushroom bread pudding which was very good. We had the crabcake as well which while not the best we've had, was also very good. Their wide selection of wines and the option of ordering either a glass or half glass made this even more of an adventuresome evening. I tasted three half glasses of whites - a Ganeta (which was excellent and by far my favorite), a Beblenheim reisling and a Bouchaine, the latter two both good. Too full for dessert, I had a latte to wrap things up and even that was very good -steaming but not piping hot and delicious. All in all, a delicious dinner, albeit somewhat dear.

• Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Grape not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have been here twice. The food is good but not exceptional. The wine list is great but not a value. The servers were stretched. Did we like it tonight? Yes. The dishes were all at least good and played to a foodie palette.

• Visited November 2013