“Wow!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grapeseed is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 278 Restaurants in Bethesda
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
Description: Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.
MD
“Wow!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My meal at this restaurant far exceeded my expectations. The food was simply excellent and the service matched. I would have given it an excellent rating but the price did seem over the top - about $230 for dinner for two with one person experiencing wine pairings. We won't be able to back anytime soon, but it was wonderful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bethesda, MD
“Excellent Wine Tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We attended a wine tasting for six wines by Siegfried of New Zealand. What was done so well by the restraunt was matching the food with the wines and making the food protions small enough so that people did not leaved feeling they had eaten too much.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC
“Very disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am struggling to understand how this restaurant has the current rating that it has. It is merely "average" at best. Went last evening w/a friend who had a "Groupon-coupon" for a $90.00 for two - 3 course meal inclusive of wine. The Groupon "deal" indicated that the wine selection choices were those that were fully available on the wine menu, though not to exceed $40.00. But, alas, of course, to no surprise, the waitress indicated otherwise and handed my friend a 3"x5" index card w/three wine choices. If the wine isn't good enough to be offered on your main wine list, then that raises concerns. Additionally, it would indicate to me that the wine was no better than a "two buck chuck" - to note that the manager was quick to mention that Groupon forces him to buy specific wines for this particular deal - hence, Groupon must receive some form of "kick-back" from the wine distributer. The service was average, the food much the same and we concluded that the $90.00 "deal" so to speak was what we would have paid to begin with - essentially, not much of a Groupon deal. Also note that the restaurant on a Thursday evening was a 1/4 full - ambiance was lousy and begs to question the need for this Groupon deal. We wrapped up our evening, left a 20% tip on the $90.00, only then to be questioned aggressively at the front door by the manager as to why we didn't leave 20% on what he deemed to be a value of $160.00. Are you kidding me??? So, my friend and I felt compelled to help the poor soul understand a "value for money" conversation and "misrepresentation" issue. I do not believe it sank in. All in all a very disappointing evening and so dreadfully sorry to hear that the CEO of Groupon was fired yesterday!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Falls Church
“Excellent, we loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went the weekend after Valentines Day. Had a wonderful meal. I loved the korean beef appetizer but my wife thought it was too spicy. The scallops were amazing and greek yogurt "cheesecake" was excellent.

Visited February 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Perfect setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I hosted a business dinner and wasn't sure how it would go over, but it was only about half full on a Tuesday and we had good seats by the front window. The best part was the mussels. I have never had such big, tender mussels and so many I was able to share with the whole table. They were the best! Everyone else really enjoyed the evening and their food, so it was perfect!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere