“Tara Thai+Tired Thai” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Tara Thai+Tired Thai”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Inattentive service, overly sweetened food, overall a snore.

• Visited June 2012

Reston, Virginia
“Do not bother to eat at Tara Thai Restaurant in Bethesda”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We took some guests who were visiting us from Liverpool, NY and Dusseldorf, Germany to Bethesda for dinner. They craved for Thai food as we passed this restaurant. We ordered two appetizers, the vegetarian spring roll and some chicken satay. The appetizers were pretty average. However, our main course was awful. I ordered the tiger shrimp dish which was not edible because it was too salty. I had to send it back. The waiter suggested fried rice with chicken which was very greasy and bland. The green curry with chicken and another chicken dish were just as bad. A vegetarian tofu dish with peanut sauce was barely edible and faired a little better than the other dishes. there are too man other Thai restaurant in the area where one can get much better Thai food. Avoid eating at the Bethesda Tara Thai Restaurant if you can.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“I didn't like it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

More an 'oriental' fastfood then a real Thai restaurant.
Been there at lunch and after the soup I was already sorry to be there.

• Visited February 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Don't Bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

There are just too many good Asian restaurants to bother with this one. We have eaten at 3 other locations of this local Thai resturant chain during the past 10 years. When the first few restaurants were opened many years ago, Tara Thai established a good reputation. But on my most recent visit, it was apparent that this local chain is now too big (expanded to 9 restaurants in DC, Md and VA) and it has been reduced to serving the type of food you can find at the shopping mall food court. Based on what I ate, I doubted there was really a chef back in the kitchen, just some hired cooks tearing open packages of frozen entrees. I ordred a "house special" shrimp dish, and was sorely disappointed -- poor quality frozen shrimp like you'd get in a cheap frozen dinner from the grocery store. My wife agreed that her entree was no better. We wont go back. We could do better at most neighborhood Asian restaurants that serve fresher food.

• Visited February 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Prefer my veggies cooked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Mixed views on this one. As a vegetarian I asked about the fish sauce issue that keeps me away from thai food unless cooking it myself, but staff understanding and ensured a meal without fish. Quick service, but as I find in the US (am English) the fast speed of getting the food on the table was at the expense of cooking it. Tofu and mushrooms were k, but rest of veg was almost raw. Unlikely to revisit.