“Tapas heaven” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 301 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Transit: We are walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Station on the Red Line.
Bethesda, Maryland
“Tapas heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Jaleo has long been one of my favorite places to eat, and to bring friends. The varied nature of the menu works well for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike, and I think the dishes have very delectable seasonings and flavors. It can get a bit pricey if you order lots of tapas, but my advice is to order a core number to start with and then order more if you're still hungry. The bread and olive oil is also delicious. I also like the original downtown Washington DC location. The Bethesda location is ambient though can get a bit noisy. There are some tables in the large dining area that tend to be a little quieter, likely due to some acoustic effect. Good to go early, or reserve a table for a larger group.

• Visited October 2012

69% Recommend
Bethesda, Maryland
“Bethesda Tradition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Good food, pleasant environment. Specializes in tapas Creativity limited, taste only average. Not the most interesting dining spot in the area

Visited August 2012
Seven Corners, Virginia
“Overpriced cocktails”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We really didn't go there to eat, but to have a few drinks before a movie. I ordered a martini with a top shelf vodka and it turned out to be $14. I consider it a little overboard given a fact that they didn't have a specific, and pretty standard, vodka I like (Ketel One or Ciroc). To add insult to injury they serve their martinis in margarita glasses. How hard it is to stock a bar with proper glassware?
On the other hand their Sparkling Wine Sangria With Cava was very delicious. That's how I would remember the place since everything else was unremarkable (even from my previous visits).

• Visited December 2012
Maryland
“Great happy hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

While trying to decide on a place for dinner, we read that Jaleo had a happy hour and decided to go there. My son and I loed our coices of tapas (garlic shrimp, calamares fritas, roasted onions with blue cheese and some kind of balsalmic reduction. My husband liked his but the choices were not as good for him since he eats no meat or seafood. Wine and sangria were $4 a glass--pretty good. The hardest part was finding room for all of the dishes on the small table in the bar area!

• Visited December 2012
Brigantine
“Excellent all around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were staying in the area, heard about Jaleo, and wanted to give it a try. We had planned on going into Washington DC, but we were tired and decided to eat closer to where we were staying (in Bethesda). We were VERY happy we did!

The food was beyond on par. The timing was perfect, more than satisfied with every dish. However, our waiter made our night. Probably one of the more personable people I've encountered in my life, he was fun, entertaining and warm. He made sure we were satisfied with everything - never pressured us to order more (sometimes this happens with tapas), and really just made the night enjoyable. Even better - we left our credit card there and he personally ran to the parking garage to bring it back to us. Don't remember his name, but really wish I did!

• Visited November 2012