“Authentic Malaysian cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 296 restaurants in Bethesda
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Authentic Malaysian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ate here on a recent Sunday night, and with the dining room about half-full, we were the only non-Malaysian customers. My lamb rendang was great, and my dining companions' mie goreng and chicken in black bean sauce were very good, too.

Visited May 2013

54% Recommend
  • Indonesian first
Riverside, California
“Every dish a delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've eaten at the Penang restaurant twice now, and the food was delicious and memorable both times. The most recent time, every dish was marvelous, from the roti canai at the beginning to the ais kacang at the end, with char kway teow in between. It's a good thing I don't live in this area, or I would become quite poor, coming to this restaurant. I should also mention appreciation for the convenience of them being open all afternoon and evening on Sundays.

I gave this review 5 stars because of the excellent food. I do think they could do a little bit to bring the decor theme inside the restaurant together a bit. Additionally, some of the waitstaff have been more friendly and helpful than others. But no major complaints.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Laurel, Maryland
“Ok food, Bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Penang after a long time and I have to say the service and quality of food has gone downhill. We waited 20 min before someone came took our order. When the waiter came to take our order she seemed distracted and was rushing us to order our food. They were greatly understaffed for a Saturday evening. The restaurant was packed and it seemed like there was only 2 waiters in the whole place. The food quality was not like it used to be and I was not impressed enough to drive 35 min to eat here. We are going to have to find a new Malaysian restaurant to love.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic Malaysian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I've come here a few times. Being from Singapore - I've personally had very high standards for Malaysian food.

My first visit here was about 5 years ago and I was very impressed.

My next few visits were a kinda mixed..

Our craving for Malaysian food brought us back here again - and this time - I must say that the food was indeed very good!

I would therefore extend my recommendation to all ...

Enjoy

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Camberwell, Australia
“Gone downhill, no more pride in their offerings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

This used to be our go to Malaysian restaurant five years ago, where we would eat every couple of weeks when we lived in MD. Now returning on holidays, we wanted to visit an old "friend". Unfortunately it seems Lisa is no longer there and quality has deteriorated so much. Char Kway Teow was hard and tasted burnt, Hainanese chicken not fresh, the rice was flavourless and hard and to add to that, the service was terrible. When the order was incorrect and they delivered a Kway Teow Thong instead of Curry Laksa, the cook just threw out the soup and added the laksa soup instead of cooking a new one as the ingredients came back the same as the Thong. We noticed the difference as another person in our group ordered the laksa and it contained the correct ingredients. Waiter never came after that to ask how everything was. Probably knew the cook just shortcut us. Taste of laksa was also bland. We know what Malaysian food should taste like as we are Malaysians. Extremely disappointed and definitely won't be returning. Sad to lose an old favourite.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere