“A Bethesda Must” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Bethesda, Maryland
“A Bethesda Must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have lived in Bethesda for most of my life. My family and I have dined at Foong Lin for all these years. The food is always very good. Living a couple of blocks away I often order in and am not disappointed. The food usually arrives as I'm setting down the phone! You can expect great spring rolls, pan fried dumplings, wonderful barbecued spareribs, hot & sour soup... their Peking Duck is always very good as is the Moo Shi. The people that run Foong Lin are the best! Long may it wave!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Bethesda, Maryland
“Once Great Chinese Bistro”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I've eaten here for well over 20 years. Not anymore. The menu, staff and interior are all stale. Rumor is that their lease is not being extended and it appears that management has checked out. Too many good places nearby to waste any time here.

Visited December 2011
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“used to be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We found the place not up to par. It used to be better. We thought the food was just ok and the service just ok too.

Washington dc
“Crispy Orange Eggplant, yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I had the most delicious dish here the other night. Crispy orange eggplant. It was pure heaven. Usually "crispy" dishes are not good as leftovers, but I just ate this one, and although it was no longer crispy, it was wonderful. This restaurant has amazing food, wonderful service, great value and one of the fewer and fewer family owned Chinese restaurants left in the area. I miss those wonderful Chinese restaurants of my childhood! Hopefully, Foong Lin will be around for another 30 years or so.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“As Authentic Chinese food as can be found anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

"Authentic Chinese Food" is almost impossible, because authentic to you might not be authentic to me...as China is a huge country with all kinds of food traditions...and as you might know your mom's authentic apple pie is not the same as my mom's or as good...in any case, I have travelled widely in China and love almost all Chinese food exept Shangainese, which happens to be the most refined, I find that it is too balnd and sweet for my taste. I love Foong Lin because it serves good honest Chinese food as authentic as you will find in America or perhaos even in many places in China. Their food does not come from a bag or is it nuked. They have a fried beef that is out of this world, it is crunchy and tasty. I have recently had Chinese Food in the Chinatowns of NYC, Washinton DC, and Philadelphia and I can honelty say that this restaurant in Bethesda could take them all on. I wish I had them in my town.

On the downside...the Restaurant needs a makeover...but then again what Chinese restaurant doesn't?

• Visited April 2011