“used to be better” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“used to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

they seem to cater to a much older crowd than they used to, bland food, no spices and sort of boring.

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“used to be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We found the place not up to par. It used to be better. We thought the food was just ok and the service just ok too.

Washington dc
“Crispy Orange Eggplant, yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I had the most delicious dish here the other night. Crispy orange eggplant. It was pure heaven. Usually "crispy" dishes are not good as leftovers, but I just ate this one, and although it was no longer crispy, it was wonderful. This restaurant has amazing food, wonderful service, great value and one of the fewer and fewer family owned Chinese restaurants left in the area. I miss those wonderful Chinese restaurants of my childhood! Hopefully, Foong Lin will be around for another 30 years or so.

• Visited October 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Walked out and will never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Slightly different review from me to normal, as I left (walked out) before eating due to the service and lukewarm food served. Has a few veggie options, chose a tofu dish. It arrived very quickly, as seems to be the way with many Bethesda restaurants, which to me, as an Englishman who would rather wait for properly cooked fresh food, suggests one of 2 things. 1) the food is cooked in advance and left to stand,or 2) it's not cooked properly. My food arrived and even the sauce was only lukewarm so I asked for it to be heated up. It came back at the same temperature, so I left and found a much better Chinese restaurant nearby. I travel to Bethesda regularly and will never return to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“As Authentic Chinese food as can be found anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

"Authentic Chinese Food" is almost impossible, because authentic to you might not be authentic to me...as China is a huge country with all kinds of food traditions...and as you might know your mom's authentic apple pie is not the same as my mom's or as good...in any case, I have travelled widely in China and love almost all Chinese food exept Shangainese, which happens to be the most refined, I find that it is too balnd and sweet for my taste. I love Foong Lin because it serves good honest Chinese food as authentic as you will find in America or perhaos even in many places in China. Their food does not come from a bag or is it nuked. They have a fried beef that is out of this world, it is crunchy and tasty. I have recently had Chinese Food in the Chinatowns of NYC, Washinton DC, and Philadelphia and I can honelty say that this restaurant in Bethesda could take them all on. I wish I had them in my town.

On the downside...the Restaurant needs a makeover...but then again what Chinese restaurant doesn't?

• Visited April 2011