“Houston's Ribs on Woodmont” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Woodmont Grill

Woodmont Grill
7715 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814-6003 (Formerly Houston's)
301-656-9755
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Houston's Ribs on Woodmont”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Woodmont Grill in Bethesda is my "go to" place for great food and a nice atmosphere. Whether it is a business lunch or I am out with the family for dinner on a Sunday, the Woodmont Grill delivers.

The Ribs are hands down the best you will find in the DC Metro area. Order and enjoy!!

Visited May 2014

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great food and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Excellent location in Bethesda. Great service and very good food. Live music at nights so a reservation is best. Lovely bar. Went there 3 or 4 times during my time in the area because nothing they served disappointed. A tad on the pricey end but worth it.

Visited April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Popular but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Do you really need a reservation for two at 6 on a Wednesday? Yes, you do. The former "Houstons" is so popular there's often a line to get in but it's hard to see why. There's nothing outstanding on the menu and the prices are Bethesda-high for decent but not memorable food. The burgers are good but are they worth $17 to $20? The highly-touted spinach and artichoke dip is all spinach and not much flavor. The beer list is pathetic. The wines by the glass start at $11. Maybe the attraction is the free parking in their own lot, but I can't imagine going back for dinner. A drink at the bar? Perhaps. The jazz trio was pretty darn good and there's live music every night.

Visited May 2014
Bethesda, Maryland
“Never, ever disappointed here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We must have been to the Woodmont Grill (formerly Houston's) 200 times…no exaggeration. We have never walked away disappointed. Fine meats, fish, and IMHO the best burger in Bethesda. Always look forward to the grilled artichoke appetizer. Usually, we walk in without reservations and have to wait 30-45 minutes. This is about the only restaurant in Bethesda where we are willing to wait that long for a seat. Just consistently good for many years.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Not worth the wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I live just a few blocks from Woodmont Grill, and I've wanted to eat there for a while. However, every time I pass by there's a line inside. Since there are so many restaurants in Bethesda, I rarely make a reservation anywhere. If one place is full, I just go next door.

On my wife's birthday, she wanted the four of us (her, me, our two kids) to eat at Woodmont Grill, and we happened to have a $100 gift card. It was already 8 pm on a Thursday, the first night of the NFL draft. We were told to expect a 45-minute wait, but it was more than an hour. That's not so bad. Also, the bar area looked inviting, and a jazz band was playing, but we couldn't sit in that area with kids (there was no room anyway).

When we sat down, service was OK. I ordered a French dip, my wife asked for a Hawaiian steak, and my kids got fish and crabcakes. The seafood dishes were the clear winners. After eating half of my sandwich, I felt ill and had to walk outside. I started sweating and had to take deep breaths. I returned after about 10 minutes, but I couldn't eat the rest. I could barely look at it without feeling sick.

Later that night, my wife felt sick from her steak. Could it have been a passing bug unrelated to the food? Possibly. Who can be sure? But I know I started to feel sick while eating the beef.

Anyway, the place is perfectly charming if you feel well, I suppose. My visit was tainted by the illness, however, and my rating reflects it. Even with the $100 gift card, the meal set me back more than $100. I can pay a lot less to feel ill. I won't be returning soon.

• Visited May 2014