“New to me” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Woodmont Grill

Woodmont Grill
7715 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814-6003 (Formerly Houston's)
301-656-9755
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Bethesda, Maryland
“New to me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Met a friend there for lunch and had fabulous crab cakes with excellent slaw and fries. We both really enjoyed them but $32? Pricey for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, MD
“Lovely Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I took my husband to this restaurant for this birthday, and we truly enjoyed the experience. It's imperative that you make reservations well in advance. If you don't, you're liable to wait for up to an hour for a table. With reservations, you walk right in. No issues. We were seated in a booth and shortly serviced. We ordered the spinach and artichoke dip and peel and eat shrimp as appetizers. Both were good. The dip didn't have enough chips, but the server asked us if we wanted more and quickly brought them out. I was under the impression that the shrimp would be seasoned with Old Bay. It was really a plate of shrimp cocktail with the shells still on. Our entrees were the day's fresh fish (rock fish) with wilted spinach and the Hawaiian rib-eye with a baked potato. The fish was amazing, and hubby really enjoyed the steak. The food really takes on some serious smoky flavor by being grilled over hardwood. It was awesome! Dessert included the warm five-nut brownie a la mode with Kahlua caramel. Amazing. We were in and out in a little over an hour. We love this place!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“They went out of their way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Woodmont Grill is in the old Houston. We descended with several kids and a constantly changing guest count! They did not have a table for the 9 of us, but put us in two adjoining booths. Then when two more arrived they quickly moved us effortlessly to another area to keep us together in three booths. Then more arrived and we juggled again. Never anything less than smiles and help from the staff. Drinks were served at each change and orders taken, and changed several times. Wow!

Besides great staff the food was good. They had a kids menu, but did not bring it out. We had to ask, and the waitress gave it verbally. There was parking on site and close to the Metro.

Visited July 2013
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“I would review this place, but I've never been able to get in.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've heard great things about the food, but the wait to get in is always 30-60 minutes. They need to get it together with reservations--usually we throw in the towel and cross the street to Black's, which is terrific.

Visited December 2012
Toronto
“So So”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Remembering the great dinner I had at another location, I was delighted to discover a Houston's during a recent visit to Bethesda. Other than the dark wood shutters, this location bears little resemblance to that other one. We reserved for 7, arrived on time, only to be told we'd have to wait for 15 minutes! We were told this was their custom. So we hung around the jazz trio...the bar was too crowded, only to be called for our table immediately! What's that about? We were taken far away from the music, past numerous empty tables for two, to the farthest side, where several families with small, very active children and a crying baby were ensconced. I have nothing against family dining and think its a smart move for a large establishment to set aside an area for it, but then why would you deliberately seat an older, well-dressed couple amidst the chaos when there are more suitable alternatives?
The food came fast and furious...we shared a Caesar salad and dinner of ribs. Neither were split for us but, instead, an empty plate was plunked down in front of my husband each time and we had to divvy it up without any serving pieces. At several other places in the area, our shared food was plated for us and we were offered extra veggies for a small charge.
All hell was breaking loose in the booth next to us where two young mothers tried, in vain, to cope with five yelling kiddies while their husbands sat in a booth behind us, enjoying themselves. Occasionally, the youngsters ran over to their dads in the way of the servers. Very exciting floor show.
Very noisy. Couldn't hear the jazz band at all!
As for the food....salad was drenched in dressing, lettuce limp and warm, croutons soggy. The ribs were just ok, not as good as the other location, and kind of skimpy. The fries were cold and thrown over part of the coleslaw. Not great.
We were very disappointed, to say the least. We skipped dessert and coffee just to get out of there.
When I mentioned the seating issue, the hostess apologized in an indignant tone and clearly insinuated that it was my own fault for not insisting on a change. I told her we had already ordered by the time I realized the problem and our waiter was conscientious, I didn't want to make a fuss. "I apologized!" she announced. Real amateurish.
It's interesting that they were keeping so many people waiting in line, outside in the heat, even though they had free tables. Strange policy.

Visited June 2013