“We had a great time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woodmont Grill

Woodmont Grill
7715 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814-6003 (Formerly Houston's)
301-656-9755
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Bethesda
“We had a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Worth a bit of a wait!! We got served drinks at the bar during a short wait. Staff was wonderful, food was even better!! Parking is right across the street and there is outdoor seating. Very pleased!! Will go again!

• Visited April 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“There's a reason it is always crowded”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have been visiting woodmont grill ( also known as Houston's) for several years and we always marvel about the number of people waiting to get seated it seems any time of day. They come back for the excellent food and outstanding service. The menu isn't huge but EVERY item uses top ingredients cooked to perfection. My favorites are the entree salads, especially the crab cake salad, and my husband rotates between the French dip,, barbecue ribs, and prime rib. Yes he is a meat and potatoes guy and this place delivers outstanding meat and potatoes. If you go, don't miss the grilled artichokes or the Hot Fudge Sundae. And they even have a jazz combo at night. What more could you ask for?

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Woodmont Grill is a great choice if you are looking for a high-end dining experience in a classy but informal setting. You can expect to pay a bit more to dine here, but in my opinion, the quality of the food and the service is worth it. Also, prices are comparable to other places in this area. On a recent visit, I enjoyed a fried oyster special served with a nice citrus vinagrette topping and a super fresh and tasty grilled Scottish salmon prepared simply with salt, pepper and lemon juice. We ordered a cornbread skillet which contain quite a bit of green chili pepper. I loved it, but my wife does not care for much spice. The waitress noticed that we only finished half the dish and inquired if it was OK. Even though I worked it over pretty good, she took it off the bill since my wife had ordered it and did not care for it. She noted that the menu did not disclose that the dish had a little heat to it and she was going to make sure to mention this to customers going forward. I should also note that it was a busy Friday night and my drink never got low, the service was very attentive and food was served quickly. If you are considering this place, I encourage you to look over the menu and perhaps give a call to check on the specials that day. The menu is not large, but it does offer the usual beef, chicken and seafood choices. They had a grilled Bronzino fish of the day which looked excellent at the table across from us. Expect entrees to run in the $25 - $35 range. I think the Woodmont Grill is one of the better places in Bethesda and look forward to my next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My Go-to Place for a Pseudo Pretentious Meal...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Houston's, Woodmont Grill, whatever the name, the quality of the food and atmosphere still delivers. When this was Houston's on Rockville Pike, I remember going with my mom for take your child to work day and just going crazy for the chicken basket with the shoestring fries and amazing honey mustard. I wanted to shake my fists in the air and cry when I saw it did not exist anymore! (dramatic much? haha)

You can imagine my excitement when I found out that Houston's moved to Bethesda and had just changed the name to Woodmont Grill. Just a bit of a back story, Woodmont Grill is owned by the Hillstone restaurant group and if you are ever in New York, the Hillstone Restaurant has the same delicious food with the addition of a sushi bar. Ok that is all for the history lesson...NOW ONTO THE FOOD.

All my friends and I always start with the spinach dip. Try to get your fix and not let it get cold, it becomes a bit congealed and unappealing in the ramekin it's served in. Other than that the flavor is great, its creamy and comes with huge chunks of artichoke which I can't get enough of (score if you are with people that do not like artichokes, more for you).

This is by far THE place I come to get my veggie burger fix. My carnivorous boyfriend at the time could not imagine eating a veggie burger and actually enjoying it, but once he took a bite of mine, he was shocked at how meat like and delicious it is. The veggie patty is moist, succulent, and is exactly like ground beef, however the flavor is something to die for. I have not been able to ever find a veggie burger that can even come close to this one. I sub the french fries for the delicious Tabbouleh side. Can't go wrong with this combo.

I have had the French dip here and that is also a winner, the horseradish is so fresh and just takes the sandwich to the next level when you take that bite of the tender meat dipped in the au jus. The shoestring fries are a welcome addition to this meat and potatoes meal.

Most people love the loaded baked potato here and I really think the reviews are just size based. Yes, it does arrive at the table heaping with bacon, cheese, and sour cream, however, under all that, it is your average baked potato and a bit dry at that. I find it is just too dense and overkill for me to enjoy as a side with their amazing entrees. Would not recommend it.

On my lighter days (not at all though). I have gotten the crispy chicken salad and it is lovely if you are craving a simple salad with nothing too exotic. The Thai steak and noodle salad is good too, my friend goes bonkers for it.

Still have room? Oh go ahead and either get the brownie sundae for the hot fudge sundae. Woodmont Grill does nothing fancy with these desserts and I love them even more for it. They are just big portioned and delicious versions of these old favorites. The vanilla ice cream on both is creamy and lovely. The chocolate sauce for the sundae is served in a gravy boat for you to pour over the sundae (love this because you can control how much you put on the sundae) and the candied walnuts are awesome. They took old favorites and did them so right.

Woodmont Grill is perfect, the atmosphere is a calm one and the lighting is low. You would think a restaurant like this would be serving small portioned meals at an exorbitant price being in Bethesda, but no. You get generous portions of non-pretentious and well prepared food. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgeable of the menu.

Wilmette, Illinois
“Fine Evening Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Met a friend here for dinner at is suggestion. It's located in downtown Bethesda where there are a lot of dinner options. I wa dearly and so sat at he bar and ordered a martini. They had my vodka (Tito's) and blue cheese olives. The martini was truly excellent but also $15, a little o the high end.

Then sat down for dinner. I have a rule that I always order to he strength of the menu. It's hard to describe what the strength of Woodmont Grill is. Essentially, it's an all-around restaurant with a menu broad enough to appeal to anyone. We started with a shared appetizer of grilled artichoke - think while artichokes cut in half and grilled until tender. Surprisingly delicious. The my friend ordered the ahi salad. I got the ribs. Both were well prepared and presented. These were not he finest ribs I've had but were surprisingly tender and clearly cooked slow and low for hours. The bill was reasonable too.

The ambiance is clubby but there were plenty of families, groups of friends, and others. I think Woodmont Grill is solid and a great solution foe groups that have varying tastes.