“Enjoyable Meal at the Grill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Woodmont Grill

Woodmont Grill
7715 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814-6003 (Formerly Houston's)
301-656-9755
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Baltimore, Maryland
“Enjoyable Meal at the Grill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had some difficulty in finding this restaurant on foot, however, I called and the hostess assisted me in finding the site using my iPhone. We walked in and were greeted by a crowd of hungry people waiting to be seated. The hostess advised me it would be a 15 minute wait even with our 6:30 pm reservation. And she was right as we were promptly seated around 6:45 pm in the rear of the restaurant near the open kitchen. There is nothing distinctive about the interior except it looks like an upscale diner with a bar and open kitchen. We had a great server who was very efficient in taking our order for dinner.

I had a nice salad with fresh greens, cranberries, beets with goat cheese and crumbled bacon with a thick vinaigrette dressing. I liked the salad but not the smoky tasting bacon as it did not mix well with the other tasty ingredients. My husband had the chile and gave me a thumbs up before it was all gone. We both had the fresh broiled rockfish with a crabmeat topping (which were plain lumps of sweet crabmeat). This was served with a sizable portion of real mashers and asparagus. We both liked the entrees and said that the fish was fresh and ample and so was the crabmeat. I asked for the buttery sauce on the side so as to not confuse the taste of the fish with the sauce.

We were very satisfied with our food and could not eat more so we asked for the check. It was hard to believe but in this busy restaurant we ate and paid in less than an hour.

I would return to this nice eatery in the heart of Bethesda if I am in the area. It was a very good meal with excellent service. And yes the restroom was clean and well stocked. It lost one star for the wait we had even with a reservation and the cramped waiting area that did not have seating for its diners.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
DMV
“Nice spot tucked away.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Had a reservation, which is your best bet cause that little place gets a lot of business. Had to wait for the entire party to get there but that was on me. Good service, not too overbearing. I had the crab cakes and my party had ribs and burgers. Not the best crab cakes but certainly not the worst. Nice spot for couples cause it can get expensive for a party of 2 or more. Definitely would go again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“something changed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

we used to love this place and were going from time to time when we were craving for really good steak. But I agree with other reviews, something has changed. When we visited last time the meat was dry and tasteless, artichoke undergrilled. I don't understand how they let this piece of meat out of the kitchen.
Consider it is an expensive place, it is very poor value for the money. I put 3 stars only because they did not charge me for the steak, but overall it was a disappointment.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always fantastic..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have to say that of all the restaurants I love to frequent, Woodmont Grill consistently stands above the rest...the service is always spot on..always attentive and never overbearing, orchestrated perfectly from appetizers to main course. I love the red river trout, it is not on the menu but they always have it and it is very good, order it with the chef sauce, a tarragon concoction that is fantastic. The specials are varied taking advantage of seasonal fare and the vegetables are beautifully prepared. The Spinach Artichoke dip is a great appetizer...piping hot with lots of tri colored tortilla chips. They have live jazz during the weekends which is a nice change from the normal dining routine.
I have never had a bad experience at Woodmont and look forward to any opportunity to go!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“The Best Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Woodmont Grill is the same menu as the old Houstons that was in Rockville for years. Actually the Woodmont Grill building in Bethesday still has a Houstons sign on one side of the building. I love the food, everything they cook is delicious. It is expensive if you have drinks and appetizers and desserts but we always do if we go there. Try a lemon drop martini, if you like a sweet drink they are wonderful.

• Visited October 2012