“Good, Plentiful Food, Hair Notwithstanding” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #128 of 300 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Chinese
Maryland
“Good, Plentiful Food, Hair Notwithstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Fu Shing is a small restaurant--maybe 8 tables--behind the Montgomery Mall in Bethesda. My wife, our youngest daughter (8), and I visited upon recommendation of a friend who lives nearby.

First thing to know: just sit down. You won't be seated by anyone. Apparently there is a sign that says "Seat yourself," but we didn't notice it. It was unclear who was in line to eat in and who was waiting for takeout (it's big on takeout), so we stood between the entrance and the counter for 15 minutes before we realized we were supposed to seat ourselves. Finally I just sat down at a table and a woman came over with utensils. We got our own menus.

As you might infer, service is gruff, "laughably rude," according to a review I read on Yelp. However, once we sat down the service was fine, if not ebullient. There is an area where you can help yourself to menus, chopsticks, soy sauce, etc. You pay at the counter, but a waitress brings you the food. The setup (mostly self-serve, not all) left us confused about the tipping policy. We tipped; it seemed like most people didn't.

The restaurant earns its stars from the tremendous portions of food served for decent prices. I ordered a house soup that came in a huge crock, filled with thick noodles, shrimp, chicken, beef, and various vegetables. It was $8.99. My wife ordered Moo-shi beef, and my daughter got a chicken dish, both of which were equally huge.

The meat in the soup was tasty and plentiful, though I would have liked slightly more broth. The only downside was that my wife found a hair in the soup, which she thought was disgusting. I just plucked it out and kept eating. I realize that a hair is a showstopper for many people, but, seriously, how dirty is hair? If it had been a bug I would have sent it back, but doing so in this case seemed to be more of a hassle.

Meantime, my wife commented that I scrupulously avoided eating noodles that touched the bare tabletop. The way I see it, the table is likely to have far more germs than a single lock of hair.

Anyway, if you don't get a hair in your food, or you don't mind a hair in your food or less-than-chatty service, you will probably really enjoy this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013