“Palate and Wallet Abuse!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #151 of 296 restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Seafood
Rockville, Maryland
“Palate and Wallet Abuse!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Four of us tried our luck at Freddy's Lobster & Clams in Bethesda. It set us back $96 including tip. The place is set up with take-out service as well as dine-in both inside and outside. Service was ok, though the place was not terribly busy (Sunday evening), they seemed understaffed. Parking was tough; there are more restaurants per square block in Bethesda than in any other town in the state, perhaps the eastern seaboard.

The menu is primarily limited to fish and shellfish, which you would expect to be at least very good. This was not the case. We were looking forward to having steamers and ordered them for an appetizer, but they were out even though delivery day was the previous day. We were encouraged that the fish would be fresh so instead we ordered a small bucket of mussels served with a toasted hot dog bun, which was strange, (mussels were good but a little undercooked) and fried calamari (good).

The four of us had a variety of seafood. Whole belly clams were underwhelming and extremely rubbery. Though we tried to share them, only a third of this expensive dish was eaten. Clam strips were better, though still not very sweet and also much of it was left on the plate. 2 Haddock filet sandwiches were ordered. The first got 2 bites from 2 people and tossed back onto the plate because it was slimy. The second miraculously disappeared into our hollo- legged college student. Why didn't we get the lobster rolls? They were hilariously expensive (18.95) for the tiny serving size of the orders we saw being served around us.

Soda was fine. Beer was fine. We passed on the unappealing dessert list.

Freddy's was overpriced and served us poorly prepared seafood. Two of the fried items tasted of overused oil. Do they only change one frying tank?

Overall, the dinning experience was bad. We left a good tip for the hard running server, but we will not return for more palate and wallet abuse.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Virginia
“A Lobster Lover's Dream Come True Restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am from New England and lobster is my favorite food, so I was thrilled to be able to try out this place for lunch today. Overall, it definitely didn't disappoint! My favorite part was the appetizers, especially the Lobster Poutine (lobster, waffle fries, cream sauce -- so unique and delicious!!! I loved it!!). The lobster deviled eggs were also good! I got the Maine Lobster Roll and was introduced to the concept of the Connecticut one (warm lobster with butter; I'll have to go back again someday and try it out). The lobster roll was very good; the roll was quite buttery, maybe more than it needed to be. The shoestring fries were good. The only think that could use improvement was the cole slaw. I loved the casual, lobster shack decor, and the staff were very friendly. I would definitely go back to this place again!

Visited December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Liked the happy hour deals. Had the lobster poutine which was ok, but good for the price. Service was kinda all over, but nice.

Visited November 2012
York
“Super rehearsal dinner event”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

When you are a Mainer and your kid asks for a Lobster Shack rehearsal dinner near Bethesda, MD, you start fretting how to buy 30 lobsters and drive them South! But.....along comes Freddy's! The staff did a great job with a cocktail party and sit-down meal for 30 folks - each of whom seemed to have a great time and loved their meals. In the spirit of a true food review, I must admit that the split lobsters in the pot short-changed the true spirit of tearing into a whole lobster - and my wife tells me the tails were a bit dry. But, overall, I would certainly entrust Freddy's to deliver on a fun experience for a large party.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“So disappointed by the food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We decided to try Freddy's Lobster and Clams in Bethesda, as we are always looking for a good place for seafood. The decor is basic but inviting, with several booths and tables with bench on one side and a sports bar on the other. I ordered the New England Clam Chowder and the fish and chips platter; my wife went for the house salad and the lobster roll. I was disappointed to see that the chowder, which looked like a potato bouillion, contained hardly any clams and had an off taste. Similarly, the fried fish and the tartar sauce were nothing like what I am used to; I did not like any of it, so I ended up filling up on the french fries, which were fine. My wife's lobster roll was very small, about 3/4 the size of a hot dog bun, totally dwarfed by the pile of french fries besides it. The glass of wine we ordered turned out to be an inch of wine at the bottom of a glass.
The only positive about the place was the friendly service.

• Visited October 2012