“Would you go back to a place with mice at your feet?” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Would you go back to a place with mice at your feet?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I haven't eaten here since 2009. Let me tell you why I will never go back. I was eating in the dining room with a friends and there were two mice running around on the floor - very close to us. I brought this to the attention of our waiter and he acted like I was uptight. When I questioned whether he thinks this is normal, he replied, "yes, and it's an issue in most Bethesda restuarants." He is wrong - and so is your choice if you decide to eat here.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars
6 Thank jmshersh

“Very sorry to see the sorry trend downwards”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This very casual neighborhood place has been our "go-to" place fresh seafood for years. A recent trip confirmed that's it's lost its way. Service terrible, food poorly explained and poorly presented. A shame.

It was a lovely spring night, just cool enough to require a sweatshirt on the outdoor veranda (where it's also a bit quieter than the very loud interior space, with its multiple flat screens for all of the local team sports). We asked to be seated there. Our host wasn't sure if there was room, but he escorted us out and placed the two of us at a table for four. Nice. We waited for our waiter. And waited. The host came by about 5 minutes later and asked if he could offer a drink. I asked what beers were on tap. He didn't know. I asked for a dark ale, bottled. My wife asked for a margarita, not frozen, with salt. He asked if he wanted the bar brand or the upgrade, but couldn't say how much more it was. It was a "special occasion" so my wife upgraded (turned out be a $3 upcharge).

Several minutes later, he returned with a frozen margarita for my wife (no salt) and a pale lager for me. We sent them back.

Several minutes after his return, he came and asked whether our waiter had arrived. "Nope." "Okay, I'll take your order." Need I say that he screwed that up too? My wife ordered a "crab burger" which he explained was "kind of like a crab cake, but served like a burger." I ordered a seafood platter with lobster (I had come for that specifically), along with mussels, clams, and crab.

My wife's "crab burger" turned out to be a hamburger with some crab meat on top. My large serving arrived without lobster ("sorry, we're out, didn't he tell you?") and Alaska King Crab substituted "at market price."

Not only did we not get what we ordered.....my offering was cold, and made me think of the old joke, "the food was awful, and there was so much of it!"

The host never made it back to ask if "everything is ok." I would have given him an earful. Our server disappeared for 10 minutes while I tried to pay at the end of a really poor eating experience. When she did bring the bill, I was stunned to see the "market price" was at least $20 bucks higher than one could reasonable expect, and that the bill included charges for the drinks we had been served erroneously (as well as the two we actually consumed).

So 10 minutes later, with a bill voiding out the extra drinks, I paid, we left, probably not to return again.

• Visited April 2012