“Small museum, big message” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 20 things to do in Bethesda
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Small museum, big message”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This place may be small by comparison to the heavy-hitters in downtown DC, but the purpose makes a big statement: to glorify God through contemporary art. Philip Ratner brushes off the beloved Old Testament characters and gives them a modern, sometimes whimsical, deeply symbolic, look that keeps you exploring the piece. In addition, there are many textile and needlepoint pieces by other artists that are hung to complement his works. My 12-year-old daughter immediately suggested the appropriateness of the Ratner Museum for a school field trip, demonstrating its broad appeal. Try it. You'll be blessed.

Visited October 2012

College Park, Md
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

You have to know where this museum is located. We must have driven by it a hundred times before we finally stopped. There are some lovely sculptures and I loved the fact that children are welcome. It has been some time since our last visit but I seem to remember a room specifically for children to try their hands at art.

Visited May 2012
Damascus, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I can't believe that I have lived in the DC Metro area forever, and I did not know about this gem. The museum is located in Bethesda Md. Admission is free. The lower level features a rotating display of art from many local artists, and the upper gallery feature the works of Philip Ratner. Mr. Ratner's sculptures depicting Biblical people and stories are amazing. I could have spent hours devouring the art. So a return visit is imminet!

Visited March 2012