“Nice Spot for Latin food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Parva Restaurant Bar & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 297 restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fairmont Ave
Description: As more South Americans venture north with their cooking traditions and ingredients in hand, North Americans are getting the chance to sample these new foods and flavors. THE PARVA RESTAURANT BAR & LOUNGE has the Nuevo Latino cuisine as one example of the global gastronomic exchange that happens today, a fusion of traditional Latin flavors with global food trends. The rest of the world has become interested in the cuisines of South America, and new combinations will emerge. But the time-honored culinary traditions of Latin America remain intact. If you have not explored them already, new or old, don't miss out. You will fall in love with South American food. Our Chef now showcase Andean products such as alpaca meat, grains like quinoa and kiwicha, and unusual tubers such as yuca and maca in sophisticated new ways.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Spot for Latin food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

A group of friends decided to try The Parva to celebrate a birthday, we were very pleased with the menu and drinks. There were several vegetarian and seafood options, I tried the "Ropa Vieja", arepas and the "Tres leches" dessert. They were all tasty, just be aware that the service is slow on a weeknight, we were having drinks and had a good time but spent almost 3 hours for dinner between serving times. The birthday girl got a free dessert and a song. There was only one other table the entire time we were at the restaurant, so it felt like a private event.
I will definitely try it again on a date night with my DH.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Silver Spring, Maryland
“weeknight dinner out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Dined here with a friend. Service was excellent as was our food. Excellent cocktail menu. While on a Wednesday night, getting a seat was very easy, I have visited one other time on a Saturday night and the place was jam packed upstairs and downstairs. Music and dancing. Not too young a crowd. Will definitely be going back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Amazing Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

WOW! What an incredible menu! This restaurant does a fantastic job with the Spanish staples you're used to at other places but with their own twist... The gauc was smooth and whipped and tasty... Salsa was AMAZING and had a slight kick to it... Quesadillas were the best we've ever had and the empanadas were fresh and outstanding!

They have a huge menu and the place is very well designed and put together... Great for special occaisions!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxon Hill, Maryland
“Great Ropa Vieja”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Went with a couple of Latin friends the other night and was pleasantly surprised. First, they have a good Happy Hour and good Daily Drink and Appitizer Specials. The place definately looks different than pictured on the web site, not as luxurious. But it was fine. The staff were nice and accomodating. The bar area only seats about 6 people. Since we were looking forward to the Pisco Sours, we were pleased that the bartender was from Peru and did indeed, make a good Pisco Sour. The Passionfruit Pisco was also good. We then moved to our table and ordered the Para Picar Platter which was very good. I ordered the Ropa Vieja, which although a little different than most Peruvian Restaurants, was very good. I would deffinately get that again. A couple of people ordered the Ceviche Classico and they liked that also. Unfortunately, after 4 Pisco Sours, I don't have a clue what the others ordered. I had a couple of drinks that I had to send back. The Watermelon Sangria, had a chemical taste to it, and the Caiparina, which was way to sweet. By the time we were leaving, they cleared to floor of tables and it turned into a club. Over all, it was a good experience. Word of advise though, bring quarters for the parking meters.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Sublime creme brulee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

DH and I availed ourselves of a meal at The Parva courtesy of a Groupon we’d purchased - $34 for one appetizer, two entrees and two glasses of wine. We arrived on a Saturday at about 4 pm. The restaurant was empty and we couldn’t fathom why – maybe it’s a nighttime spot? The restaurant is located in a quiet but fairly busy section of Bethesda. Quick note – there is metered street parking but the parking attendants are very active even on Saturday afternoon. We arrived about 3 minutes after our time had expired (and were in fact crossing the street to get to our car) and were already getting a ticket. We didn’t argue (we were late after all) but the meter guy let us go with a warning, which was generous and we appreciated it.

The restaurant’s ambience was nothing to write home about. The restaurant space downstairs (contemporary with lots of white) is a bit small, although there was a baby shower taking place upstairs in the lounge space, so combined, it must be a reasonable size place.

For our appetizer we chose the La Criolla which comprised black sausage (what’s known as black pudding in the Caribbean), Andean potatoes and Aji sauce. To my surprise (he was really hungry), my DH liked it. For my entrée I chose Chuleta en Salsa which comprised a bone-in pork chop and white rice, patacon wafers and a salad. It was tasty but the chop was a bit tough so I had to request a steak knife. My DH chose the Chicken Fajita Platter, which he seemed to like.

For dessert (which was not included in the Groupon) I had the most sublime crème brulee ever. I almost licked the bowl. If you read my review of Chef Tony’s from a visit a few months back I mentioned how good the crème brulee there was. The Parva’s was better!

On receiving our bill we realized that an automatic gratuity was included. This is unusual for the 25 or so Groupons we’ve purchased for meals, so we were taken aback. When we use Groupons we always tip generously based on the original price of the meal. We were willing to leave at least a $10 tip but in light of the fact that about $7 was charged automatically, that’s what we left. The restaurant’s loss. I guess too many people under-tip when using a Groupon.

All-in-all the meal was fine. Not the best meal we’ve eaten recently but certainly not the worst!

• Visited May 2012