“Pretty good Peruvian chicken” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 296 restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American
Boston, MA
“Pretty good Peruvian chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Since leaving the DC area to move back to Boston, one of the things I miss most are the ubiquitous Peruvian chicken places. I'm not going to start a religious war by mentioning my own faves but Don Pollo was right down the street from our hotel in Bethesda.

There chicken was just the way it should be: moist and flavorful (I had a dark quarter). The rice and beans side was pretty good though the coleslaw was mediocre. Got mac and cheese for the toddlers and they were in heaven with the overcooked noodles and 'Kraft-style" cheese sauce (it's nothing fancy or gourmet). The big win, though, was the black bean salad: black beans, corn, red onion, tomatoes and cilantro over lettuce with a lime dressing - all the veggies were incredibly fresh and flavorful - truly one of the best salads I've had in a while.

So, not my favorite Peruvian chicken place but it scratched my itch and I'd be happy to go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

100% Recommend
Bethesda
“Best Chicken in the Bethesda / DC Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Only discovered this place this year, but thank goodness ! Having tried every chicken place in the area, includining Nando's Peri-Peri, we can honestly say this is the MOST delicious chicken we've ever had. The chicken is ready very quickly, it's consistently perfectly cooked, and the marinade is divine. The sides are also nice and varied. It's fantastic for take out. For about $20, you can have a really nice sized meal for 2 - not that easy to find anymore in this town !

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lunch spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I love this place. I work right down the street from Don Pollo. The chicken is amazing - flavorful, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, moist, seasoned perfectly. The sides are excellent as well. It's always very busy in there, but I've never had to wait longer than 3 minutes for my lunch. Fast, friendly service.

• Visited January 2012