“Groupon offers not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Georgetown Road
Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
“Groupon offers not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've purchased several Groupons within the last 6 months for Chef Tony's and upon using them, they only offer a select few items off the menu. In fact, they have a separate menu for Groupon holders. In my opinion, I don't think this menu includes their better menu items. Both times my wife and I ate there, we weren't impressed even though we'd had great food previously. Just a warning to those buying Groupons. Other restaurants just allow the value purchased.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChefTonyMarciante, Owner at Chef Tony's, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
I appreciate your feedback on your Groupon experience. I have seen many, many people from our promotions, and the usual comments are very positive.

Our Three Course Menu has choice of at least 6 appetizers, 6-8 entrees (usually straight from our Dinner Menu) and 3-5 Desserts. These are by no means "special dishes" that are created for Groupon customers, rather dishes from our main menu. Yes, they have to make sense with the price point,and for me, any restaurant in Bethesda that offers you 3 full size courses of Fresh Seafood for $20 is an incredible deal. ALL costs in operating restaurants, especially full service seafood, are up, and we maintain a great deal year round.

I love to hear back from our diners, and welcome the feedback. I hope we see you again, I truly believe in over delivering in our guest experience, I would love to meet you in person next time.

Chef Tony Marciante

“A disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I went using a Capitol Deal voucher. Before I purchased the voucher, I went to the restaurant's website to learn more about it. The advertised focus on fresh and seasonal ingredients sounded great. The menu mentioned that the food was locally sourced, but missed the opportunity to let us know where it came from. The website described the restaurant as intimate and comfortable with gentle jazz in the background. Not at all. We were sat in the back room, which didn't seem too bad at first. Our table, however, was right by a "back" door to the outside. During the hour that we were there, workers (construction? electricians?) walked back and forth from the kitchen to the outside over and over again. As my chair was right by the door, there were constant interruptionsl The "gentle jazz" in the backgound was something like slacker radio, complete with advertisements.

When the food came, we were once again disappointed. A few pieces of the "Best calamari in Bethesda" were perfectly cooked, but most of what was in the basket was the overly cooked bits of crunchy coating that tasted like they'd dumped all the burnt pieces in the bottom of the deep fryer into the wax paper holder. The mussels tasted a little off and was light on the white beans and tomatoes. My parmesan crusted sole did taste fresh, but was very salty. The zucchini was overcooked. My husband's trout was nice, but did not come with the roasted potatoes as described in the menu, but rather some rice with gray looking shallots.

On the up side, our waiter was very helpful and service was attentive. The wine and desserts were very good - I had the cheesecake with the strawberry malbec sauce and my husband had the creme brulee. We won't be returning.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, MD
“A disappointment and not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We went on a coupon deal and when we arrived we were seated in an area setaside for those using coupons and given a special menu from which we could choose. The food was poor and we would never think of going there again. Why bother trying to attract new customers with coupons and treat them poorly?

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
ChefTonyMarciante, Owner at Chef Tony's, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
While I realize this is too too late to effect a change in your thoughts, I'm getting introduced to the number of reviews here, and yours is special.

We use Groupon to promote, but how would anyone think there is a "special place" to seat people with a groupon offer? Our restaurant has 2 1/2 dining rooms, there really aren't many other options besides front/back or Lovers lane. I have to be direct here to correct your misunderstanding.

Food wise, I'm sorry to hear your feedback, it certainly isn't typical...we would have gladly replaced your dishes were it brought up to anyone? It is understandable that this would sour you to our restaurant, but after 7 years here, we please a lot of guests, and take a lot of pride in that.

IF I can invite you back to experience our restaurant now, email me at cheftony@cheftonysbethesda.com and allow me to have you in on me...I know we can "wow" you and perhaps change your mind...

Chef Tony Marciante
Rockville, Maryland
“Skip the brunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were so disappointed in this! First, they "lost" the reservation we made over a week ago. We were, however, allowed to sit at the bar. This would have been forgivable if the food was up to par which it was not not not.. The menu was a pretty limited. Not even Benedict variation, but we decided on the chorizo egg casserole. However, it tasted like something off the side of a Bisquick box - virtually inedible. It came with a very sparse side salad. No bread/potatoes/or even garnish. Even with the Groupon special it was not worth it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dickerson, Maryland
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in here early on a Thursday after working late. They call their calamari the best in Bethesda and they're right. Great fresh seafood and a good wine list. The braised cod was fabulous.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere