“Great low cost eatery” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 301 Restaurants in Bethesda
Description: Panas specializes in Latin fusion gourmet empanadas, crescent- shaped turnovers, stuffed with well seasoned combinations of meats, vegetables, spices, fruits, and sweets. Our recipes are inspired by the idea of Latin Fusion cuisine; a culinary concept based on creating new recipes by combining traditional and modern culinary techniques and mixing ingredients from different countries in the Americas. The only empanadas’ tradition we want to preserve is that empanadas a great idea and fun package for food.
Coolangatta, Australia
“Great low cost eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stumbled across Panas' down a few stair on P Street in Washington near the DuPont Circle. Excellent selection of empanadas, dipping sauces and salads. To quench your thirst there is also Sangria. The tray of 8 empanadas was very good value and very filling.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
“Healthy Empanadas are heresy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to try this place out! When I got in, I was wowed by the clean atmosphere, the Latin/salsa music and the friendly employees. I loved that it was like a lounge setting as opposed to your typical restaurant setting. For me, the wow factor stopped there.

When I have empanadas in mind, I think of yummy filling, crispy, buttery, flaky crusts, with every bite that is decadent and luscious goodness. These empanadas were none of that.

I tried the carne, carne asada, and pesto chicken empanadas. The carne was okay, I thought it had a bit too much cumin.
The carne asada was too tough to chew, but I did like the flavor of it. The pesto chicken did not taste like it had pesto, but I think I like that one over the 3 that I tried.
I was not a fan of the dough crusts. To me, it was very tough. I would of liked it deep fried, but that would go against everything healthy, and I think this is what this place was about. To me, this place was just ok. I don't think I will come back though.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, South Carolina
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My friend and I were very excited to try this place out because we don't have anything like it back home. The menu featured a lot of new and exciting flavor combinations and mix-and-match options for 2 or more people. We got our choice of 8 empanadas, the plantain and veggie skewers and the cucumber appetizer (the last two we were hoping to share with my 9.5 month old). Half of the empanadas were tasteless. The shrimp and coconut one tasted old and we didn't finish them. The plantains were green (not maduros, as expected) and were rock hard. All of the veggies were covered in a weird spice that overtook the flavor of the vegetables, and I was not able to serve them to my daughter. The cucumber had such a strong pickled flavor (not indicated on the menu) that we couldn't eat them. Very small portion for the price. However, the idea is creative and they had some good music in the background. Probably won't go back, though. :(

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Take Out Divine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We did take-out of about 12 mostly meat empanadas for a group of 4, and they were PERFECT. The filling of each is stamped in two letters on the edge of each empanada (CA for beef, green olives, hard-boiled eggs, onions and parsley, CS for Chipotle Steak, CP for Chicken Pesto, etc.). Each was better than the one before: fresh ingredients, great combinations of flavors, and interesting sauces, too. One of the best parts is that you pick things up cold and bake them at home for a minute per empanada, so everything is hot & fresh. Highly recommended for take-out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rockford, Illinois
“Unbelievably good food for not much $$$ - will definitely return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I would consider this a fast food restaurant because one orders at the counter. BUT the food is not your typical fast food, it's delicious: fresh, tasty and easy to eat.

After enjoying the empanadas, I ordered a special fruit drink. The ice machine was broken, so the guy at the counter said that if I returned after about two hours, he'd give me the drink for free. VERY nice touch. He enjoyed discussing the food with me after I'd eaten.

I am very impressed with this restaurant. Our group of four spent $31 on a great meal and wondered why we had wasted our money on a mediocre meal at Range the night before.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere