“OK & not a typical Golden Tulip Hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bethesda Court Hotel

You added Bethesda Court Hotel to your Saves list
Bethesda Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7740 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814 (Formerly Golden Tulip Bethesda Court Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Special
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“OK & not a typical Golden Tulip Hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here for a friend's wedding. I stay in Bethesda about once a month. I tried this hotel out because it was where she booked rooms, but I wouldn't book again. I stayed 5 days (maybe 6 days), I believe.

It was OK, but it looked more like the place had a facelift than a remodel. The bathtub was old, but the sink was new. I didn't feel clean in the tub. The rest of the room was fine. It was trying to be "luxurious" on a dime. It isn't a typical "Golden Tulip" Hotel. The paint on the new mirror was more of a white-wash and you could see the wood underneath in some spots. The wall-paper was peeling too. The painting on the closet area, door, etc. wasn't the best and wasn't stripped down and repainted. The room had its own heating and air, which was very loud. The decor and the bedding were very nice. The maids kept the room clean. I appreciated the fridge, microwave, and Keurig. But, you could tell that it was a cheap redecorating of an old motel. But, it was far from terrible. It was OK.

The hotel is in walking distance to downtown Bethesda, a Starbucks, and other restaurants.

I was finally able to use their car service on the last day, and that was the deciding factor that I wouldn't book there again. The Bethesda Metro had construction on its elevators. This was well-known and should be known to the hotel staff. It was on going for a few months. So, I asked to go to the other Metro (basically, turn left instead of right). The driver, who pretended to not speak English well, drove me to Bethesda - even though I had luggage and asked to go to the other (which is less than 2 miles). When she dropped me off - at the Hyatt! Not even taking the time to turn the corner and go to the Kiss and Ride (BTW, she would have passed it on the way back to the hotel) - she just points down and says "Metro down." To get "down" you have to walk down a large set of stairs - kind of hard to do with luggage from a week's stay and a wedding! Thankfully, since I usually stay at the Hyatt, I knew they had an elevator that went down one level. I still had to go on the metro - during rush hour - with my luggage on and the second or third longest escalator in the Metro system - a safety hazard to say the least. Thankfully, I am a Washingtonian, so I knew what to do. But a guest to our city or someone with a physical impairment wouldn't have. I do suffer from a chronic pain condition, so I am very conscious of such things - luckily, I felt fine that day and could manage. That driver killed the possibility of me recommending the hotel....and they never credited my points to my Golden Tulip Card (Flavours Loyalty Programme).

Taking someone to the wrong metro is inexcusable. Dropping someone off in the portico of another hotel is not appropriate. Telling that person "metro down" is not sufficient - especially when the stairs are a bit a way from where that person was dropped and there is an established location in the metro for dropping people off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Laurel, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at this fine establishment for four days. The rooms are nicely appointed, the staff is nothing short of outstanding! hey will accomodate your every need! This is one of the best hotel experiences I've had!

Room Tip: 1st floor courtyard rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are a little small as is the bath but the staff is extremely helpful and friendly and the place is immaculate. The breakfast area is tiny though adequate and at about half the price of most of the big hotels it's well worth a try.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here using a living social deal a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it! It's in a great location from the metro as well as many restaurants. It was totally worth the money I paid for it. I spent $99 for the voucher which included free parking which is normally $15 (I agree that's a little steep for an open lot with a broken gate, but It was free for me so I am not complaining). I arrived way before checkin time, but the young lady at the front desk was so pleasant and allowed me to check in early..gave me lots of information, and even gave me extra water and chocolates! (Unlimited free bottled water and free chocolate.. You CAN'T beat that). Originally. Our keys didn't work and we had to get them redone, and the same young lady at the front stopped what she was doing, and then walked us upstairs with extra sets of keys so we wouldn't have to come all the way back down just in case the new set did not work (apparently they have this key issue often, I would look into replacing some equipment If that is the case). But anyway, that's great customer service. Down side: there was only 2 towels in the room, up side: the young lady noticed we had 4 in our group and informed us that housekeeping didn't get a chance to set the room for 4 people since we were early. She noticed before I even had to ask! That's great service to me. Quick, friendly, efficient, and aware!! The room was a decent size. Not too small, and it overlooked a lovely courtyard.
Another thing I loved seeing was the young lady addressing guests by name. I mentioned to her she must have been doing this for a long time to remember names like that.. She informed me she only has worked there for a couple of months. WOW.
Did I mention the brand new Chrystler 300 free hotel sedan that shuttled us to dinner... Nice touch!
The breakfast options were very nice, the room it is served in was however very small. But since it was nice out, we sat in the courtyard area and enjoyed out complimentary breakfast.
I honestly never heard of this site until the young lady informed me about it, had I read the reviews here I would have been a little weary about actually staying here, so I'm glad I have only recently discovered it. I overall had a wonderful experience and hope they run another deal soon, it was a nice getaway from the kids. Way to go Bethesda Court!! I am going to recommend to all my friends to stay there when they come to DC!

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Staff professional ...Great breakfast options....Rooms clean..can't go wrong for the $$$$$. Sad part is in 2013 They're demolishing the hotel as the owner is bringing in a Westin ....I luv them tooooo so out with the old and in with the new in 2013.....lets hope the staff has a home while the construction is ongoing .

• Stayed November 2012
NJ, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My initial impression of the hotel & room was not that good. It looks like it was a motel. The elevator is very small, esp the doorway. There is a rather loud heating unit. The shower is quite small with a cheesy door. There’s a curtain rather than a door on the closet. There appeared to be no full-length mirror. Days later I noticed there is a mirror in the back of the unlit closet. But after a few minutes the place grew on me. It is comfy & homey. The staff is very efficient & pleasant. The cleaning staff is not loud & obnoxious like they are at many other hotels. The place is spotless. I know others complained about wi-fi but I had no problems on the 3rd flr. The lobby has a nice seating area. Free breakfast is included. It’s nothing special but it’s a good starter for the day. This is a nice perk, not usually included in the DC area in my experience. The breakfast room is very small with only about 5 tables. You might want to sit in the lobby on the living room-type furniture. The hotel is in a great spot. It’s barely a 2-block walk to the Metro. There are blocks & blocks of all different kinds of restaurants nearby. Nice that there’s a Keurig, fridge & microwave in the room. Staff let me leave my car all day on my checkout day. My big complaint is that the breakfast staff is very annoying. Her cellphone went off constantly & she answered it & had full-blown conversations in Spanish daily. It’s a big problem here b/c the room is so small. She was in the way. She kept refilling things, which is nice, but she was in the way. The containers were full & she kept overfilling them possibly b/c she wasn’t paying attention b/c she was on her cell! Also, 1 day they were getting a replacement coffee pot. Instead of waiting 10 min until breakfast was over she had the guy change it so we couldn’t get coffee or tea. The vendor wanted to wait. She told him to change it now. I think the hotel mgr should have made that decision.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bethesda Court Hotel? Share your experiences!