“Traditional Italian” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Traditional Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's hard to not like a restaurant with 30-65 year old waiters in long sleeve white shirts (mine had worked there for 30 years!). I ordered the fried zucchini appetizer (very lightly breaded, so quite fresh-tasting) and lasagna (hand made noodles, great sauce, not spicey meat). Get a carafe of the house red!

Visited April 2013

Rockville, Maryland
“Classic Italian American home style food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Bethesda and I have yet to leave disappointed. It is casual, kid friendly and good for groups. Be sure to check out the blackboard as you enter for specials- some go pretty quickly like the artichokes!

Wine is served by the glass or carafe and is a reasonably priced addition to your meal. To start, we often get an order of the fried zucchini for the table (actual circles of zucchini in a batter that are fried) and a cheese less pizza (dough brushed with garlic, herbs and olive oil). As some people have said, the house bread is nothing special but the kids seem to enjoy it.

For my main course my go to dishes are either the eggplant parmigiana with a side of aglio olio pasta or the cutlet Milanese with the same pasta side. You can get traditional red sauce or meat sauce too. Kids seem to enjoy the spaghetti with meatballs. Their pizzas are tasty though not "gourmet". They are always well liked by the table. They have some good shrimp dishes and fra diavolo pasta with seafood too.

For dessert there are limited offerings but the tartufo is usually the way to go if you want something sweet with your coffee.

Service is efficient and it is a bit noisy. Don't be afraid to ask for your leftovers to go! The prices are very reasonable, especially for this area and the portions are generous. If you are looking for a place to call your local Italian restaurant this is it. For the 10+ years I have been going there I don't think anything has changed on the menu. And that is a very good thing!

Visited March 2013
Pleasantville, New York
“Get the white pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The only place I have ever been to that serves a special white pizza that is out of this world. I have eaten it there for over 40 years and no one else makes it like this. Don't miss.

Visited March 2013
Haleyville, Alabama
“Pizza For The Gods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

You really have to be looking for the Pines of Rome restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland. It's just a rather small and very old almost hole in the wall kind of establishment in the middle of a block of other shops. There is nothing particularly inviting about the building but for those in the know....there is something particularly inviting inside.
Whenever I am anywhere near Bethesda I have one mission. The Pines of Rome. The tables are covered with checkered clothes and the house wine is served in plain glasses the size of a fruit jar. The menu is filled with every Italian dish possible and the walls are lined with framed articles from the Post and the Times along with awards for their delicious selections. I come for the White Pizza. My family comes for the boulaise and spaghetti. The children order all sorts of combinations of the pizza. When the orders are placed they come to the table with their version of an appetizer.......white pizza. The crust is tossed until it is extra thin and then brushed with family grown olive oil from the old country, covered with a fine selection of white cheeses and herbs and then baked to perfection. I enjoy the one brought for the table and then I order another one just for me. I also order one of the largest sizes to go so that I can stock the freezer in our RV.
If you are in the D.C. area and in the mood for Italian then make the effort to drive into Bethesda and enjoy.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Authentic, like my mother's cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

A business collegue has an office near by and he took me here for my birthday. He raved about the white pizza because he knows how much I love pizza. It was excellent. The small was perfect for the 2 of us. It has a nice flavor of cheese and garlic. We also split the spaghetti dish made without a heavy cream sauce. That was also very good. I was also p,eased by the prices. Not the typical over the top bill in DC. Total bill for 2 with tip was $25.10. This is not a gourmet restaurant and it does not pretend to be one, but I can see why it has been a fixture in Bethesda for over 35 years! The servers are professional, polite, and attentive when necessary. I will certainly return...and order the white pizza again. I measure Italian food by what my mother made for me. The Pines of Rome passed the "Mamma" test easily.