“Comfort food” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Comfort food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

No one goes to the Pines for the ambience, unless eating in a noisy, busy place is your idea of a good time. No, the locals go to the Pines for the comfort food -- simple Italian that's the same for decades. The place is crawling with families and neighbors. You can always run into folks you know if you live nearby. You can count on well-prepared pasta, veal dishes, and antipasto (made with iceberg lettuce). Nothing fancy, for sure, but definitely dependable and popular.

Visited July 2012

77% Recommend
Atherton, California
“Classic Italian spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

When my grandmother was alive, we visited DC from California often, and we would go to Pines multiple times every trip. After her death, we stopped visiting, but we flew out for a cousin's wedding in May. With all of the festivities, we had only one meal free. Without even considering anything else, we went to Pines. It's just that good. The white pizza alone is worth the 3,000 mile flight. I always get the veal parmesan as my entree, but I have never heard a bad word about any item. It's a very accommodating of large groups, and the service is always up to snuff. I don't think I will ever visit DC again without a trip to the Pines and neither should you.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Neighborhood joint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We have been going here for over 15 years. The lobby used to be so crowded- the wait was listed on a sign. Now you can walk right in, since so many other restaurants have opened in Bethesda. The service and ambiance is almost rough, but that creates a unique atmosphere, like a neighborhood joint. The food has stayed consistently good but the prices have jumped. Just came back from there at $65 for two. The only place I know that will serve wine in a water glass and fill it to the top.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Amazing White Pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The white pizza is the best! A must have if you are in the D.C. area. Located a short walk from the metro, Pines of Rome has been there for years. I used to eat there when I was a kid and recently got to enjoy it again on a visit to D.C. I wish they had pizza like this back home.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Where the locals eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Pines of Rome is not where you go to impress or to be impressed. This is where you go for good food, fast service, and a good down home neighborhood ambience that is passed down from generation to generation . I have been going here for years and the quality holds up. I may be a little biased because I swear they must have stolen my Grandmother's recipe for sauce. I usually get a pasta dish and they are all excellent. I have also had the chicken parmesan and cacciatore and they are of the same quality, and be sure to order the white pizza for an appetizer.

• Visited May 2012