“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Newton's Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 296 restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Woodmont and Arlington
Transit: We are two blocks from the Bethesda Metro Station, on the Red Line.
Description: Newton's Table, a new restaurant by Chef Dennis Friedman, is the latest addition to downtown Bethesda featuring contemporary American cuisine. Renovations are almost finished and opening is slated for early April.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went to Newton's Table with a group for lunch. I ordered the beet salad, which looked quite nice (according to the description), and planned to share the Kobe beef wontons with someone else.
Well, was I surprised when I got my "salad", and I will give them credit - presentation is great at Newton's Table. The restaurant is nicely decorated, and the food is pretty. But the salad, for $10, was rather a surprise - not even one whole beet when you added up the paper-thin slices on the plate, plus the tiniest bit of frise, a few pine nuts, and one orange slice that had been further sliced up.
Suffice it to say, I was still hungry after the salad. Very hungry. Then the Kobe beef wontons came, and I bit into one. Grease went down my blouse, and I have since been unable to get the grease out of my blouse.
We ordered the gruyere cheese puffs to help make it seem like more of a meal. One person at the table got the soup, which he found inedible.
Many at the table got the pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich, and all seemed pleased with that. The lobster macaroni and cheese and noodles with curry went over well with them too - I can't eat shellfish so I was not able to partake in those.
Newton's has a lot of fish, and a lot of shellfish.
I told the waiter what happened to my blouse and showed him as well. He apologized and took my number for the manager to call me. He hasn't yet.
I can't say I am in a hurry to return to Newton's; it is just too inconsistent, and I worry about ruining more clothing.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Washington, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Newton's is a lovely restaurant in terms of ambience and sufficently quiet so it is possible to comfortably have a conversation. We had several seafood dishes, one of which, the snapper appetizer, was truly excellent. Unfortunately, the shrimp, a key ingrediant in some of the remaining plates, were not up to par; Overly sweetened in the the salt and pepper shrimp, and just without a fresh shrimp taste in the other dish. The bread was also poor -- a cake-like soft bread rather than a crusty tuscan or French bread that good food deserves.

Wines were expensive -- we had the least costly of the reds, it was $40. Taking into account the cost as well as the expectation of a first class restaurant suggested by the ambience, the service and the prices, two stars is reasonable. It is quite possible we hit them on an off night or ordered the wrong dishes -- the couple at the table next to ours seemed very pleased-- but we will not return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockville
“Good food a d quiet enough for a conversation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We dined with friends. Service is really good and the restaurant relatively quiet so conversation is easy. The menu is interesting and enticing with many imaginative dishes. The food is generally quite good. Wines are a bit high priced and valet parking (in a neighborhood that desperately needs more parking) is rather high. Worth a return visit. .

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“New American Style withe French techniques at Newton's Table”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our party of four had a fantastic dinner at Newton's Table in Bethesda. The Chef/Owner, Dennis Friedman, does a "new American" style of cooking in which French techniques are applied, often with an Asian style. Among the dishes we enjoyed was "Fuzu," a rice noodle dish which included chicken, scallops, and shrimp, among other ingredients.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
washington dc
“will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had a business lunch at Newton's Table & throughly enjoyed the food & service. Nice addition to the Bethesda options. Had the lunch seafood catch of the day - salmon on spaetzel with some spinach - fantastic. Also had the Thai soup as an appetizer - yummy. Looking forward to trying other dishes. Decor is nothing special, but not a big item on my list. Service was efficient & friendly (room was about 1./2 full on this rainy day).

• 5 of 5 stars Food