“Good spot all around” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
Pensacola, FL
“Good spot all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

the only real issue I had was getting there. GPS had me go all around everywhere, but I really don't know if that is the hotel's fault. clean room, good service and several trendy places to go within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
HGIBethesda, Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Greetings!

Thank you for your review on Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda.

It was interesting to read about your experience with finding the Hotel with the GPS and thank you for sharing this with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Happy Holidays!

Best wishes

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Let's discuss the location first. The hotel is located on Waverly, which is directly off of Wisconsin Avenue and is about a 5 minute walk from the Bethesda Metro station (south). I didn't have much of a problem walking here from the Metro carrying and rolling multiple pieces of luggage. I took the Metro from Reagan International and this venture took about 45 minutes.

The property is located near a ton of great restaurants, a Regal Cinema, the Crescent City running/biking/walking trail, banks/ATMs, and an assortment of other businesses like local coffee shops, a Barnes and Noble, and a cupcake store. When I go to new places I love to venture out and try new restaurants. A week would be a perfect amount of time to visit your selections of these restaurants (or pubs). I was here for 3 nights and actually had a tough time deciding which restaurants to choose.

The hotel was very clean and well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful. My check in was quick and I was welcomed (and thanked) for being a HHonors guest. I received a phone call from the front desk during the middle of my stay asking if I had everything and if I had any problems. I thought it was a nice touch to check in on their guests. I usually do a quick lookover in my room upon entering (to make sure cleanliness levels are up to my standard) and I had no issues. The rooms had a microwave, an LCD 32" flat panel TV, and a mini-fridge.

Breakfast was good for a HGI and there was a chef on hand for orders (hot items like eggs) for those interested. They also have their spread of cereal, bagels, yogurts, fruit, toast, and juices. There were flat panel LCD TV's in the breakfast areas with news playing each morning. I don't think the breakfast is worth the $13 if you have to pay for it. It's a good deal if you are a GOLD or higher HHonors member and the breakfast is included.

I had two minor complaints: First, some of the fruit at breakfast was a bit overripe. For example, some of the pineapple was browning. Second, it wasn't very clear where the exercise room was as the elevators didn't have any markings. The front desk may have mentioned this to me upon check in, but I don't recall. It's on the 2nd floor. As you can see, these are very minor (and picky) complaints.

Helpful recommendations: If you enjoy running outdoors, there is an entrance to the Crescent City/Bethesda trail very close to the hotel - go 2 blocks down on Wisconsin, and like 1 block west on Bethesda; follow the signs. This was a great find for me. Restaurants I tried: BD's Mongolian Grill, Union Jack's British Pub, and Shanghai Village. There are plenty of places if you go west on Waverly, cross Wisconsin, and head down Elm. I plan on visiting some of these places next time in Bestheda.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Greetings!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out a full review on the experience you had at the Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda and our location. Being a new Hotel we are always thrilled to get feedback from our Guests.

I could not agree with you more in terms of all the great restaurants, shopping and entertainment within safe walking distance to the Hotel, really adds value to our Guests stay.

Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda looks forward to welcoming you back!

Happy Holidays!

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in mid-October during a business trip. It was very nice overall. Clean, new, contemporary in decor. We really liked this hotel a lot, but for one potentially fatal flaw...
The complaint? They apparently have an energy efficient HVAC system for each guest room that is motion-activated. Thus, when you are not in the room, the air conditioner will not run. A good thing, yes? Well, good only until you *sleep* in the room. At which time, the air conditioner does not run and the room becomes stuffy and over-heated.
On our first night, we were perplexed and vexed when the air conditioner did not run throughout the night after we turned out the lights. Indeed, when we woke up that morning, the wall-mounted thermostat was considerably warmer than what we had set it at the night before.
By the second night of our stay, when we figured out what was going on after talking to the staff, we found ourselves getting up at 2am just to dance around in the entry way to coax the air conditioner into running. A few jumping jacks, and -- hooray -- there was blessed air conditioning.
We're all for energy conservation, but we're not in favor of cooking in a stuffy hotel room just because of a dumb system. There must be a more intelligent solution to this, such as requiring the room key in an activation slot like some European hotels use. I can't imagine staying at this hotel during the hot summers of DC and would caution anyone else who can't stand sweating in bed to deliberate carefully before choosing this hotel.
Other than this issue, this hotel was very nice and clean with great staff.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

The hotel was new so everything looked nice. Watch out for the restaurant in the lobby area. I could not find someone to help me at the restaurant at all, so I left. I did order room service through Ruth Cris one evening, that was okay but it's expensive. The location is neat. It is close to a metro station which people can use to ride downtown to the museums and stuff. And it is right off Wisconsin Avenue, NW. which is a nice area of Washington, DC. When I came in, I parked at the place next door. After I checked in, they gave me a pass to use for the garage which is great because parking in the Washington area can be hard to find at times. Of course you still have to pay for the parking. One thing that I did not like was it was a connecting door to something. I don't know if it was another room or what. But I did not like that I saw that. So, the only two things I did not like were the restaurant in the lobby and the door connecting to another room or something. I would stay there again though. It was okay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HGIBethesda, Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Hi Sarah!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda. We are glad that you liked the Hotel and will consider returning. Being a new Hotel this feedback is very helpful as we establish our services.

The Hotel does have some connecting rooms which we often use for families however when you book again you can advise us to try book a room that does not have this feature if you would prefer.

Have a great holiday season!

Best wishes

Hampton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Short Walk to the Metro, Staff was very friendly. The 3 in 1 package deal was perfect for us. It included room, breakfast each morning, and parking in the garage attached to the hotel. Bethesda has many restaurants to choose from, all within walking distance. There is also a free circulator bus running in the downtown area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was a one-night stay. Arrived late on friday evening, Oct. 29. Check-in was swift. Room was very well appointed. Sleek modern decor, and spotless. Bed was very comfortable, but I did not remember to play with the firmness adjustment until morning. Very large flat screen tv was nice. Room also featured a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Wifi was free in the room. Full line of Neutrogena toiletries are provided. Very conveniently located to the Bethesda metro station, and two Starbucks within two blocks (different directions). This was a quick trip - in and out for the rally in DC on the 30th - but if I need a place to stay for my next DC visit, this was a great option.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

This hotel is tucked away in Bethesda. It's within a couple of blocks of the Metro, good restaurants, and it's WAY cheaper than DC. The people who work in the hotel are extremely nice, the rooms are quiet and clean, and definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!