“Could not have been better!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed N' Breakfast Deal
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Escondido, CA
“Could not have been better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn during a recent trip to Washington DC. The hotel was a fantastic (and extremely affordable) jumping off point for touring the city. The room was immaculate and extremely comfortable. The service was great and the staff was friendly and accommodating. Because we were traveling during the Cherry Blossom Festival we had to pay special attention to budget. We wanted to balance comfort and convenience with cost. This hotel met all our needs. Although at first we were a little concerned about staying in Bethesda rather than in the city center, we went ahead and booked the hotel. We also purchased 7 day metro passes and hopped on and off all week. The metro station is minutes away and dropped us off near the all "sights." I can't imagine that it would have been much easier if we had been staying in the White House. The hotel is also close to a number of restaurants as well as a Trader Joe's (convenient for quick grocery shopping since there's a small fridge and microwave in the room). Thanks to the Hilton Garden and all the free attractions on the Mall we had a wonderful time and actually came in under budget.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

The Hilton Garden Inn in Bethesda is either new or recently redone because it is a little nicer than others of its type at which I have stayed.

Staff was friendly and helpful. When I checked in they noticed that I wasn't receiving our corporate discount and the fellow helping me took care of it right away. After handing me 2 bottles of cold water he directed me to the elevators and with a handshake I was on my way.

My room was standard fare but really clean and nicely appointed, including the things one has come to expect - iPod compatible clock, flat screen TV. Because I'm a Hilton Honors member I was able to get free wifi.

The hotel has a small bar/lounge area that was open until 11 pm or so. We found that useful for our post dinner "business discussion."

Workout factilities were cramped, like in most hotels. On the upside most of the equipment was new.

Breakfast was a passable buffet. My only complaint was that I was never offered a menu but it was assumed I'd eat from the buffet. Since I don't eat large breakfasts I overpaid.

Location had a lot to do with why my colleagues and I stayed here as it's 3 or so blocks from our local office. If I need to return I would stay again as I'm told by my colleagues that it is a nicer property than the alternative across the street.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and his brother for a leisure trip to visit Washington, DC. With this hotel being new, under $90 CDN and walking distance (not even two blocks) from the Metro Station, I thought I would be perfect for our trip. And I wasn't let down.

When we arrived we were a little disappointed with the lack of front curb area so I could run in and get checked in. You can't park your vehicle unless you have a room key and are willing to pay $15 per day (unlimited use) per vehicle. So we had to awkwardly pull up front without being in the way of traffic, get checked in and then pull to the underground parking which was clean and convenient.

Once we got in to our room I was very happy to find a microwave and small regrigerator in our room. Apparently it is standard in all rooms. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. As you probably read you can adjust the firmness of the mattress. Not quite like the Sleep Number bed, but still it is a nice feature. You just lift the side of the mattress by the head of the bed and turn the dial to solt or firm. I kept mine on soft and loved it.

The sheets were clean and the comforter was white and plush. I wasn't a big fan of the down filled pillows as I felt they didn't provide enough support, but that was just me. My husband loved them.

The bathroom was a nice size with marble counter tops and the tub was an average size. I found it weird that the clean dry towels hung on a rack IN the tub, not on the outside, but nevertheless, they didn't get wet when I took a shower.

The free internet is a bonus and the chair for the computer desk was awesome. It was so comfortable and ergonomically friendly.

The nice big screen TV was beautiful as well, but there didn't seem to be too many channels to choose from.

The pool was VERY small. I was actually surprised they had a lifeguard on duty becuase if anyone was drowning, it wouldn't take much to save them in under 4' of water (both ends of the pool). There was a chair lift for anyone that needed it, even though it was very small. There is a hot tub which is almost the size of the pool. It was very warm and clean.

I never used the gym but it's right beside the pool and seemed to be clean and a decent size.

The location of the building is perfect for those that are travelling via metro becuase it's right around the corner from the station. However, the neighbourhood is very high end. Which is a good thing for cleanliness, but for restaurants, if you want something not overly priced, be willing to drive about 10 minutes north of the hotel. That's where we found the TGI Fridays, etc.

Again, I absolutely loved tihs hotel and would highly recommend it to everyone. I was just surprised at the low cost considering the high-end neighbourhood it was in.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was attending a conference that was being held in downtown D.C., but the conference hotel was way out of my price range. I was looking for alternatives that were along the metro, since the conference hotel was right off of the Woodley Park Zoo metro stop. So I found the Hilton Garden Inn in Bethesda, just about 2 blocks and a very quick walk from the Bethesda Metro stop, which was super convenient. The advanced booking rate is amazing, while that did mean I was locked into the room and couldn't cancel my reservation or get a refund, it was $111/night for four adults. It ended up only being two adults, but I think the advanced rate for two adults was only just over $100, so there wasn't much difference. They also had packages that included parking and breakfast for all of the guests in the room, but I did not opt for that package.
The rooms were very well outfitted- adjustable beds (more firm, soft), down pillows, ergonomic desk chair, free wi-fi, free wired in-room connection, LCD TVs, fridge, microwave, and of course hairdryer and good bathroom stuff (lotion, shampoo, etc.). Everything was very clean, beds were super comfy, spacious shower, nice towels...the two of us staying in the room are graduate students, and we felt like we were living the good life! :) So- rooms- GREAT!
Service was great too, easy check-in/out, lovely fresh baked cookies (better get them fast though, we saw them the first night, went to our rooms to wash our hands and drop off our bags, and came back and they were all gone!!). There is a snack/amenities section with medicines, drinks, and lots of quick snacks that are very reasonably priced- I was desperate one day and grabbed some crackers and a granola bar and was expecting them to be way over-priced, but they weren't at all, which was a nice surprise. You can also print for free from your room, which was remarkable- so I was able to print off my boarding passes prior to leaving. We did have breakfast there in the hotel one morning, and it wasn't anything stellar- they did have made to order pancakes, french toast, and omlettes, but I just went with the scrambled eggs and toast, which was good, but not necessarily $13 worth of good. There are LOTS of really good local restaurants (and a McDonald's, Subway, and Dunkin Donuts) within walking distance- 2 blocks at most. These include a great bagel shop (Bethesda Bagels), a fast-food salad place (SweetGreen), several coffee shops, really, just tons of places to eat. There's even a movie theater across the street and possibly a mall, but we never actually had time to explore that.
A friend also drove in from out of town and was able to park in the hotel garage for $15/night, and I *think* it was unlimited in/out, but I could be wrong.
There was also a pool and fitness center that looked amazing, but we were busy working the whole time and didn't get to enjoy them.
If I were ever returning to the DC area, I would stay here again because it's very reasonably priced for the high quality of the facility/rooms/service, very convenient to restaurants, and very convenient to the Metro station that can get you pretty much anywhere in DC you need to go.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
South Windsor, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from 04/08 to 04/11 while in DC for the Cherry Blossom Festvial. We LOVED that the Metro Station was just a TWO MINUTE WALK from the front door!

The housekeeping department does an AMAZING job at this hotel. Everything is ALWAYS spotless. I don't think I saw a sign of dust in the place. Impeccable. Being a neat freak, I felt great about that!

The people at the front desk were all very nice, but didn't seem to know very much (if anything) about the area. Being from out of town, we asked for simple directions somewhere or advice on places to go to eat, and they would tell us "We're not from around here." I would think the staff of a hotel would be equipped with the knowledge to give their customers insight on those types of things...

When we were leaving, we checked out, but had planned on going to Brunch before leaving. They let us keep our room keep and remain parked in their garage and extra 2 hours. We thought that was REALLY nice of them!

If we're ever back in DC, we'll definetly stay there again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I love Hilton Garden Inns- seems like they read my mind when they designed this brand. I travel often, but rarely get to stay in a hotel that's as new (7 months) as this hotel - I was looking forward to it. That's why I'm so surprised...

At check-in, my mini-fridge was warm; it did not cool down. I called the front desk and asked them to send someone to fix it while I was at work the next day. Minutes later the toilet paper roller refused to stay snapped into the toilet-paper holder. And then the handle fell off the hot water tap at the sink.

I returned to the hotel after a 14-hour day and happily bought a beer at the bar which I could not carry - too much "stuff". The bartender allowed me to "park it" in his fridge.

I dropped my "stuff" in my room - and observed that the mini-fridge was still warm inside, the handle still on the counter and the toilet paper roll still sideways on the shelf under the sink. On the way back up to the room with my beer in hand, a disgruntled fellow traveler complained that the bartender refused to serve him since "last call" was over. (I'm sure that he could not have been at the bar more than five minutes after me.)

I called the desk again to tell them that things were still not working and got a $100 discount on my stay - but frankly, at that point I think I would rather have had the cold fridge.

On the whole, this hotel is very nice; the staff is hard-working and cheerful and the location (about two blocks from the Metro) is superb. It's weird - and hardly up to Hilton Garden Inn standards - that these little lapses are being allowed to occur.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I chose this hotel because of it's proximity to DC without actually being in DC - there is easy metro access and the ride into DC was fast. Since we were not in DC, we were also able to enjoy the great rates that this hotel had to offer (try staying in DC for $129.00/night including parking and a cooked to order breakfast during peak season!).

Before arriving, I was a little disappointed with the booking process - I saw a rate online that I was assured would be matched and it was not (it ended up being $5.00 more per night). When I asked about it, I was told that they had to increase the fee since my 12 yr. old would also be eating breakfast even though breakfast was free for children 12 and under. I did not understand that and, eventually, the person at reservations (which I should mention was from a call center and not the hotel itself) said he had called the hotel and spoken with a manager there and had adjusted my rate to the correct rate of $129.00/night. A week or so before our trip, I verified my reservation online and had noticed it was still not corrected and I also noticed that the rate was even lower. I called the hotel directly and, after some argument, the rate was corrected to the original price of $129.00/night but the lady at the hotel said she could not lower the price to the price I saw online. She was actually somewhat rude and told me that I would have to speak with reservations and she very quickly transferred me before I could ask any other questions about my stay. The reservations center was able to answer my additional questions but told me that the hotel would have to reduce the price to the new price I saw online. Apparently the Hilton Garden Inn website was showing different pricing information than whatever the reservation call center had access to but they assured me that the hotel could give me the correct price. I was transferred back to the hotel and got the same lady who again refused to lower the price - she said she had already lowered it (to the price that I should have gotten originally) and would not lower it again. At that point, I was upset with the attitude she was giving me and did not want to pursue the matter anymore so I dropped it.

After that encounter with the front desk staff, I was a little concerned with how I would be treated upon check -in. Especially when I noticed that the person checking me in was the same person I had dealt with regarding the pricing concerns that I had. She was pleasant at check-in, though and did not present any of the attitude that she gave me over the phone. We proceeded up to our room, which was clean and comfortable.

I would also like to mention security - my husband ( a police officer) was concerned about the DC area in general and what type of security measures the hotel would take. He was pleasantly surprised to find that all areas of the hotel require key card entry (the stairs even have a separate door to access the rooms that requires a key even though a key is needed to access the stairs) and the elevator also requires a key card when going up to the rooms (you do not the card to go down). There is also a Montgomery County police department across from the hotel. We felt very safe and did not have any doubts that the hotel was on top of security.

On to the restaurant. We ate breakfast every morning and it was very good by any standards, especially since I didn't expect much from a hotel restaurant. We ate there for dinner the second night and I was agin pleasantly suprised at thwe quality of the food. The staff was also great - German S. was our waiter for all but two days of our stay and he was outstanding! Being from the South, my husband loves his sweet tea and German actually brewed tea for him when there was none available. After the first day, he remembered our drink orders and brought them to us without us even asking. All of the staff was personable and attuned to excellent customer service.

On a side note, my daughter was a little disappointed with the pool as it was small. However, we were so busy with touring DC that she wasn't very interested in swimming anyway. But if a large pool is important to you or your family, you won't find that at this hotel.

I mentioned that we stayed during peak season and I believe the hotel was close to capacity while we there. However, there was hardly any noise and we were made to feel like we were the only ones there. We've stayed at a lot of hotels and that is hard to find - even at a four star! The beds are extremely comfortable and we all enjoyed a good night's rest while we there (I find it difficult to sleep on hotel beds for either comfort or cleanliness concerns and that was never an issue).

Overall, this was a great hotel that we will definately visit again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!