“Clean, quiet, great price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed N' Breakfast Deal
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reno, Nevada
“Clean, quiet, great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was attending a conference that was being held in downtown D.C., but the conference hotel was way out of my price range. I was looking for alternatives that were along the metro, since the conference hotel was right off of the Woodley Park Zoo metro stop. So I found the Hilton Garden Inn in Bethesda, just about 2 blocks and a very quick walk from the Bethesda Metro stop, which was super convenient. The advanced booking rate is amazing, while that did mean I was locked into the room and couldn't cancel my reservation or get a refund, it was $111/night for four adults. It ended up only being two adults, but I think the advanced rate for two adults was only just over $100, so there wasn't much difference. They also had packages that included parking and breakfast for all of the guests in the room, but I did not opt for that package.
The rooms were very well outfitted- adjustable beds (more firm, soft), down pillows, ergonomic desk chair, free wi-fi, free wired in-room connection, LCD TVs, fridge, microwave, and of course hairdryer and good bathroom stuff (lotion, shampoo, etc.). Everything was very clean, beds were super comfy, spacious shower, nice towels...the two of us staying in the room are graduate students, and we felt like we were living the good life! :) So- rooms- GREAT!
Service was great too, easy check-in/out, lovely fresh baked cookies (better get them fast though, we saw them the first night, went to our rooms to wash our hands and drop off our bags, and came back and they were all gone!!). There is a snack/amenities section with medicines, drinks, and lots of quick snacks that are very reasonably priced- I was desperate one day and grabbed some crackers and a granola bar and was expecting them to be way over-priced, but they weren't at all, which was a nice surprise. You can also print for free from your room, which was remarkable- so I was able to print off my boarding passes prior to leaving. We did have breakfast there in the hotel one morning, and it wasn't anything stellar- they did have made to order pancakes, french toast, and omlettes, but I just went with the scrambled eggs and toast, which was good, but not necessarily $13 worth of good. There are LOTS of really good local restaurants (and a McDonald's, Subway, and Dunkin Donuts) within walking distance- 2 blocks at most. These include a great bagel shop (Bethesda Bagels), a fast-food salad place (SweetGreen), several coffee shops, really, just tons of places to eat. There's even a movie theater across the street and possibly a mall, but we never actually had time to explore that.
A friend also drove in from out of town and was able to park in the hotel garage for $15/night, and I *think* it was unlimited in/out, but I could be wrong.
There was also a pool and fitness center that looked amazing, but we were busy working the whole time and didn't get to enjoy them.
If I were ever returning to the DC area, I would stay here again because it's very reasonably priced for the high quality of the facility/rooms/service, very convenient to restaurants, and very convenient to the Metro station that can get you pretty much anywhere in DC you need to go.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
South Windsor, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from 04/08 to 04/11 while in DC for the Cherry Blossom Festvial. We LOVED that the Metro Station was just a TWO MINUTE WALK from the front door!

The housekeeping department does an AMAZING job at this hotel. Everything is ALWAYS spotless. I don't think I saw a sign of dust in the place. Impeccable. Being a neat freak, I felt great about that!

The people at the front desk were all very nice, but didn't seem to know very much (if anything) about the area. Being from out of town, we asked for simple directions somewhere or advice on places to go to eat, and they would tell us "We're not from around here." I would think the staff of a hotel would be equipped with the knowledge to give their customers insight on those types of things...

When we were leaving, we checked out, but had planned on going to Brunch before leaving. They let us keep our room keep and remain parked in their garage and extra 2 hours. We thought that was REALLY nice of them!

If we're ever back in DC, we'll definetly stay there again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I love Hilton Garden Inns- seems like they read my mind when they designed this brand. I travel often, but rarely get to stay in a hotel that's as new (7 months) as this hotel - I was looking forward to it. That's why I'm so surprised...

At check-in, my mini-fridge was warm; it did not cool down. I called the front desk and asked them to send someone to fix it while I was at work the next day. Minutes later the toilet paper roller refused to stay snapped into the toilet-paper holder. And then the handle fell off the hot water tap at the sink.

I returned to the hotel after a 14-hour day and happily bought a beer at the bar which I could not carry - too much "stuff". The bartender allowed me to "park it" in his fridge.

I dropped my "stuff" in my room - and observed that the mini-fridge was still warm inside, the handle still on the counter and the toilet paper roll still sideways on the shelf under the sink. On the way back up to the room with my beer in hand, a disgruntled fellow traveler complained that the bartender refused to serve him since "last call" was over. (I'm sure that he could not have been at the bar more than five minutes after me.)

I called the desk again to tell them that things were still not working and got a $100 discount on my stay - but frankly, at that point I think I would rather have had the cold fridge.

On the whole, this hotel is very nice; the staff is hard-working and cheerful and the location (about two blocks from the Metro) is superb. It's weird - and hardly up to Hilton Garden Inn standards - that these little lapses are being allowed to occur.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I chose this hotel because of it's proximity to DC without actually being in DC - there is easy metro access and the ride into DC was fast. Since we were not in DC, we were also able to enjoy the great rates that this hotel had to offer (try staying in DC for $129.00/night including parking and a cooked to order breakfast during peak season!).

Before arriving, I was a little disappointed with the booking process - I saw a rate online that I was assured would be matched and it was not (it ended up being $5.00 more per night). When I asked about it, I was told that they had to increase the fee since my 12 yr. old would also be eating breakfast even though breakfast was free for children 12 and under. I did not understand that and, eventually, the person at reservations (which I should mention was from a call center and not the hotel itself) said he had called the hotel and spoken with a manager there and had adjusted my rate to the correct rate of $129.00/night. A week or so before our trip, I verified my reservation online and had noticed it was still not corrected and I also noticed that the rate was even lower. I called the hotel directly and, after some argument, the rate was corrected to the original price of $129.00/night but the lady at the hotel said she could not lower the price to the price I saw online. She was actually somewhat rude and told me that I would have to speak with reservations and she very quickly transferred me before I could ask any other questions about my stay. The reservations center was able to answer my additional questions but told me that the hotel would have to reduce the price to the new price I saw online. Apparently the Hilton Garden Inn website was showing different pricing information than whatever the reservation call center had access to but they assured me that the hotel could give me the correct price. I was transferred back to the hotel and got the same lady who again refused to lower the price - she said she had already lowered it (to the price that I should have gotten originally) and would not lower it again. At that point, I was upset with the attitude she was giving me and did not want to pursue the matter anymore so I dropped it.

After that encounter with the front desk staff, I was a little concerned with how I would be treated upon check -in. Especially when I noticed that the person checking me in was the same person I had dealt with regarding the pricing concerns that I had. She was pleasant at check-in, though and did not present any of the attitude that she gave me over the phone. We proceeded up to our room, which was clean and comfortable.

I would also like to mention security - my husband ( a police officer) was concerned about the DC area in general and what type of security measures the hotel would take. He was pleasantly surprised to find that all areas of the hotel require key card entry (the stairs even have a separate door to access the rooms that requires a key even though a key is needed to access the stairs) and the elevator also requires a key card when going up to the rooms (you do not the card to go down). There is also a Montgomery County police department across from the hotel. We felt very safe and did not have any doubts that the hotel was on top of security.

On to the restaurant. We ate breakfast every morning and it was very good by any standards, especially since I didn't expect much from a hotel restaurant. We ate there for dinner the second night and I was agin pleasantly suprised at thwe quality of the food. The staff was also great - German S. was our waiter for all but two days of our stay and he was outstanding! Being from the South, my husband loves his sweet tea and German actually brewed tea for him when there was none available. After the first day, he remembered our drink orders and brought them to us without us even asking. All of the staff was personable and attuned to excellent customer service.

On a side note, my daughter was a little disappointed with the pool as it was small. However, we were so busy with touring DC that she wasn't very interested in swimming anyway. But if a large pool is important to you or your family, you won't find that at this hotel.

I mentioned that we stayed during peak season and I believe the hotel was close to capacity while we there. However, there was hardly any noise and we were made to feel like we were the only ones there. We've stayed at a lot of hotels and that is hard to find - even at a four star! The beds are extremely comfortable and we all enjoyed a good night's rest while we there (I find it difficult to sleep on hotel beds for either comfort or cleanliness concerns and that was never an issue).

Overall, this was a great hotel that we will definately visit again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. A simple block to the metro so you can easily get to downtown DC or wherever. There were tons of places to eat just down the hill; all of the ones we ate at were great. We ate at the Tex Mex place (?? Grill), the Tapas place, the Cafe ??? and the Old Pancake House. The only disappoint with the hotel was the pool was small and cold but the kids loved it. The hot tub was wonderful when not full of people. The cookies they put out each night only last for about 1/2 hour (from 5pm - 5:30pm) and then they are gone. They are super yummy if you do get them. But breakfast was difficult. There is not nearly enough seating for breakfast and to have to wait for a table for a hotel buffet is just silly. We had breakfast in the hotel 1 of 4 mornings and it was just too crazy! Also the elevators (there are only two) are super slow and do not accomadate the number of people in the hotel. The rooms were beautiful, large and very quiet. You could even flush the toilet in the middle of the night without waking everyone else up. The beds were ok - not all that they rave about. But for me the pillows were horrible. Way too soft and fluffy. After four nights I left feeling horribly stiff and with a large neck and shoulder ache. I would definately stay here again but I would bring my own pillow and pack my own breakfast stuff to have in the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Bethesda on a short break. First impressions of the hotel were good, with polite helpful reception staff, Our room was superb, clean, modern and with the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. The small pool and hot tub/spa was great to unwind in after a long day sightseeing and the hotel was very convenient to the metro, just a few minutes walk away. The down side was breakfast. The blurb in the brochure stated, 'piping hot cooked to order breakfast', don't be fooled, it was warm at best, poorly cooked and a just a poor standard buffet. They could not even serve up a hot coffee despite three attempts!! So after determining I couldn't eat their excuse for a cooked breakfast, I'd thought I would have some cereal and so emptied one of those little boxes of cereal into a bowl. I then looked around for some milk, which of course is natural to have with cereal and I couldn't find any. I then asked the server for some milk and astonishingly he informed they have none and had run out the day before!!! I did ask whether anyone had thought of popping to the local supermarket about 5 minutes away, but was informed they are only the servers. Oh and when I mentioned about the warm food and coffee, I was told they could pop it in the microwave if I would like. Luckily I had some milk in my room and went and fetched my own. When I mentioned this to management, they of course did not charge me but did seem to have some sympathy/sarcasm (I was not too sure) by telling me it wasn't the greatest start to the day sir was it? So that aside and needless to say we did not attempt to eat there for the rest of the week, I would recommend the hotel for it's cleanliness, good room service, good facilities, great rooms, superb beds and convenience to the metro.

Best place to eat locally in Bethesda? We found the Daily Grill across the road at the Hyatt was brilliant, great food, great service and good atmosphere. Although a little pricey, it was not as overpriced as Chris Ruths (or is it Ruth Chris's?) steakhouse. We found this to be overpriced, overrated, pretentious and frankly rubbish. For breakfast we stuck with the close by McDonalds (hot coffee and all), and the old pancake house.

A tip for getting to an from Dulles airport. Get the 5a bus at the airport. For just for 3 dollars it takes you to Rosslyn metro station and then a 2 dollar trip to Bethesda and a couple of minutes walk to the hotel. Much better than $60 for a taxi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I booked this stay via the Hilton website, then found a better price elsewhere. Hilton matched the rate and then offered the same lower room rate in a package for ~$15/ night more including parking and hot breakfasts for 4. Parking can be very expensive in the DC area so this was a great deal. The hotel is new (Oct '09), located <5 minute walk to Metro station in a safe area (police station around the corner). Many restaurants within 15min walk, huge variety. Breakfast buffet was excellent with wonderful, personable waitstaff. The photo of the pool on their website must have been taken at an odd angle because the pool is pretty small (plenty big enough for our kids to enjoy and burn-off the last of their energy each night). Free internet in room, cookies at front desk in the evening and pretty good complimentary coffee available at all times were bonuses we aren't used to when travelling economically. It felt like we were staying in a mid-range hotel at an economy hotel price. Overcharged on bill at check-out. Reassured by desk staff and problem fixed very politely by general manager via phone and e-mail next business day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!