“Good Family Hotel & Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed N' Breakfast Deal
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
New Jersey
“Good Family Hotel & Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. A simple block to the metro so you can easily get to downtown DC or wherever. There were tons of places to eat just down the hill; all of the ones we ate at were great. We ate at the Tex Mex place (?? Grill), the Tapas place, the Cafe ??? and the Old Pancake House. The only disappoint with the hotel was the pool was small and cold but the kids loved it. The hot tub was wonderful when not full of people. The cookies they put out each night only last for about 1/2 hour (from 5pm - 5:30pm) and then they are gone. They are super yummy if you do get them. But breakfast was difficult. There is not nearly enough seating for breakfast and to have to wait for a table for a hotel buffet is just silly. We had breakfast in the hotel 1 of 4 mornings and it was just too crazy! Also the elevators (there are only two) are super slow and do not accomadate the number of people in the hotel. The rooms were beautiful, large and very quiet. You could even flush the toilet in the middle of the night without waking everyone else up. The beds were ok - not all that they rave about. But for me the pillows were horrible. Way too soft and fluffy. After four nights I left feeling horribly stiff and with a large neck and shoulder ache. I would definately stay here again but I would bring my own pillow and pack my own breakfast stuff to have in the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Bethesda on a short break. First impressions of the hotel were good, with polite helpful reception staff, Our room was superb, clean, modern and with the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. The small pool and hot tub/spa was great to unwind in after a long day sightseeing and the hotel was very convenient to the metro, just a few minutes walk away. The down side was breakfast. The blurb in the brochure stated, 'piping hot cooked to order breakfast', don't be fooled, it was warm at best, poorly cooked and a just a poor standard buffet. They could not even serve up a hot coffee despite three attempts!! So after determining I couldn't eat their excuse for a cooked breakfast, I'd thought I would have some cereal and so emptied one of those little boxes of cereal into a bowl. I then looked around for some milk, which of course is natural to have with cereal and I couldn't find any. I then asked the server for some milk and astonishingly he informed they have none and had run out the day before!!! I did ask whether anyone had thought of popping to the local supermarket about 5 minutes away, but was informed they are only the servers. Oh and when I mentioned about the warm food and coffee, I was told they could pop it in the microwave if I would like. Luckily I had some milk in my room and went and fetched my own. When I mentioned this to management, they of course did not charge me but did seem to have some sympathy/sarcasm (I was not too sure) by telling me it wasn't the greatest start to the day sir was it? So that aside and needless to say we did not attempt to eat there for the rest of the week, I would recommend the hotel for it's cleanliness, good room service, good facilities, great rooms, superb beds and convenience to the metro.

Best place to eat locally in Bethesda? We found the Daily Grill across the road at the Hyatt was brilliant, great food, great service and good atmosphere. Although a little pricey, it was not as overpriced as Chris Ruths (or is it Ruth Chris's?) steakhouse. We found this to be overpriced, overrated, pretentious and frankly rubbish. For breakfast we stuck with the close by McDonalds (hot coffee and all), and the old pancake house.

A tip for getting to an from Dulles airport. Get the 5a bus at the airport. For just for 3 dollars it takes you to Rosslyn metro station and then a 2 dollar trip to Bethesda and a couple of minutes walk to the hotel. Much better than $60 for a taxi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I booked this stay via the Hilton website, then found a better price elsewhere. Hilton matched the rate and then offered the same lower room rate in a package for ~$15/ night more including parking and hot breakfasts for 4. Parking can be very expensive in the DC area so this was a great deal. The hotel is new (Oct '09), located <5 minute walk to Metro station in a safe area (police station around the corner). Many restaurants within 15min walk, huge variety. Breakfast buffet was excellent with wonderful, personable waitstaff. The photo of the pool on their website must have been taken at an odd angle because the pool is pretty small (plenty big enough for our kids to enjoy and burn-off the last of their energy each night). Free internet in room, cookies at front desk in the evening and pretty good complimentary coffee available at all times were bonuses we aren't used to when travelling economically. It felt like we were staying in a mid-range hotel at an economy hotel price. Overcharged on bill at check-out. Reassured by desk staff and problem fixed very politely by general manager via phone and e-mail next business day.

Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

We loved our stay at this hotel. The location near the metro and area restaurants was very convienent. The rooms are clean and the hotel was very quiet. Beds were super comfortable. We will definetely be back!

TIVERTON RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

My wife and I having had such a long day driving from New England that day wanted to check in shower and have dinner. From the start, we were somewhat taken back that we had to pay for parking, however, we were happy with the room and decided to have dinner at the hotel. Dinner was very good, just a burger and pulled pork.

After a good night of rest we wer eager to get the day rolling. My wife was surprised to see te computer services so she jumped right in, while I went to check on the pool, in turn I decided to get my bthing suit and jump in.

Now that we both got ur fill of our favorite things, we decided to try the breakfast.

This is when what was a relaxing time even got better. Mr. Edwards graiously greeted us, gave us a talbe of choice and politely asked us what we would like to drink. We both ordeed coffee and juice. M. Edward thanked us and said he would be right back. I then looked over and noticed the fruit bar wt the juice and said to my wife I don't know why he got the juice. I asked him thisand he said no problem and told us how the buffetworked.

At this point I figured we were on our own but I was wrong. Mr. Edwards came over to our tablle several times to see if we needed anything else. As we were getting ready to leve he asked if we wanted any more coffee. Being more tha satisyed Ithought maybe coffee to go. He pointed to the coffee bar and I sai great.

Once at the coffee ar I noticed no cps and called to Mr. Edwards who immediately got a young lady to get more cups. This young lady hurrid back with the cups and I told her to slow it down, hovever she was obviously more concerned to get me my cup.

I have traveled throughout this country and stayed at many hotels ad visited many restaurants. I have neve, I repeat never received better service than I did from Mr. Edwards and he rest of your staff.

Please relay this toMr. Edwards nd your staff you are very fortunate to hae such great people working at your hote.

I will be returning to Bethesda very shortly and look forward to seeing Mr. Edwards once again. Ther's a man who shold be recognized for his great service to your customerss.

Ever hear of "The Undercover Boss"?

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

stayed here the 11/02-17/02 during the big snow storm
hotel was just ok.
reception staff had no time for guests,not sure it was their own fault because they were
always doing paperwork,but noticed about half were friendly the rest just tolerated you,
rooms were new large and equipped with a fridge and microwave,found their beds on the hard side, spotless and quiet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
CEDAR KNOLLS, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

First of all I can't say enough about the beds. They are the most comfortable I have ever been in. Rooms are fresh and clean and the front desk staff will bend over backwards to accomodate any needs. Also, with parking at such a premium, they have their own lot. Proximity to the METRO was only 2 blocks away so we didn't need our car to sightsee.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!