“Close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast and Parking
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
“Close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel is on eof the newer ones in the Bethesda area and is conveniently located near the Metro, the cinemas and bethesda row. The beds are comfortable and they serve you a good breakfast. As far as American city hotels of this size go it's pretty good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We recently spent eight nights in and around Washington and used this conveniently located hotel as our base. From arrival to departure the willing and helpful staff were always available, we booked taxis easily and quickly through Myriam on reception and also took her directions to the metro system ( red line ) which was approximately five minutes away.
We were allocated an end of corridor room on the third floor, whilst our friends had an end of corridor room on the seventh floor, the rooms were clean and well maintained, supplies of tea, coffee and bathroom toiletries were replenished on a daily basis. The 'dial a comfort' setting on the bed was set on the first night, there then followed a relaxing sleep every night. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choices and eggs were cooked to your own preference. We hired a car for a few days and parking in the hotel guest slots in the attached car park alleviated the need to hunt for available spaces. The only negative within the hotel was the early closing of the bar which was usually around 10pm. Overall a first class hotel that we would use again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: An end of corridor room is larger and higher floors suffer less from traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Taiyuan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Overall, I enjoyed a very good stay here and found it to be a very good value for a visit to DC, even without a complimentary breakfast and the $15 parking. Overall, it seems pretty representative of the Hilton Garden Inn chain, which generally are quite good and colorfully decorated. Of course it is a chain property, so doesn't have tons of character.

The rooms have sleep number beds. I was glad to try this. Some members of the party didn't find the firm setting to be very firm, and I couldn't really tell the difference between the firmness levels, but I thought the bed was comfortable and was glad to have a chance to finally try one of these.

The hotel is nicely designed, modern and clean. The rooms were decent-sized, and again very clean and nicely appointed. Access to the metro is the key point--it is about a ten minute walk to the station on the red-line. The trip into the city costs $2-3 per person and takes about 25 minutes. It's only one stop to NIH and pretty convenient, though it does cost about $2.

The front desk was always well-staffed, meaning there was never really a wait. There are free cookies at times, if you get there before they all get snatched up, and coffee is available in the lobby most of the time.

We had dinner in the restaurant--the dinners are a really great value, and the food was colorful and tasty and as good or better than chain restaurants. The service was pleasant and eager to please, though they seemed to miss a few things--leaving extra unused glasses on the table.

The main drawback is the parking, which is not cheap, is pretty tight and limited, but is in and-out if you want to drive during your visit. The hotel allowed me to stay in the parking for free for an extra half day, which was very helpful. I worried a bit that I might get to the gate to leave and the card wouldn't work, but had no problems.

There are tons of restaurants and a few grocers near the hotel. The room included a fridge and microwave, too.

Finally, a card is needed to go up in the elevators. I never had a problem, but this security measure seems to frustrate many of my fellow traveler's whose cards fail or who unnecessarily try to use it to go down as well as up.

Bottom line: this is a fine hotel and one of the best deals I could find on the metro for my visit to DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Traveled from Va for wedding. My out of town family was staying here so we did too. My husband and I came with our newborn and toddler. We showed up right around check in (3pm) and we were told the room was not ready. Luckily my mom had already checked in the day before so we had a place to go and wait. The wedding was at 5 and at 4 I was told again the room was still not ready. I basically demanded a room telling the receptionist that I had to be at an event in an hour and I had two kids to get ready. She called her manager and he called around to housekeepers to see if a room was ready. They were able to get us in a room then, it was not next to my mom like I requested and I was super stressed getting us ready in such a rush. The rooms were nice very clean. The housekeeper on our floor was very helpful the next morning bringing us extra toiletries. We were going to have breakfast downstairs but the food looked and smelled gross so we left. On the plus side you had to have a room key to open and operate the elevator. Made me feel a little safer.

• Stayed October 2011
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Terrific location just a couple blocks from the heart if Bethesda and the Metro station. Very nice rooms. Average bathrooms. Helpful and friendly staff. Unfortunately the pool is only open from 5-10pm on weekdays.
We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed April 2012
Chanelle L, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us and I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience our very attactive location to the metro and the many area restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda in the near future.

Thank you for your business.
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four nights for a business trip and had a good experience. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk (if that) to the Bethesda metro on the red line and is right in the center of a bunch of great restaurants and cafes. The room was relatively quiet except for rather noisy neighbors above us (try and get a room on the top floor to avoid this problem!) and was spacious. The only big negative was the bed- it was so uncomfortable! They tout having a "sleep number" like bed, but it was so hard even with it turned down to the softest setting. My shoulders and back ached when I woke up in the morning. The breakfast buffet was included in my rate and was okay. Be sure to arrive early in the morning otherwise you will be left with not a lot of selection. All in all, this was a good value hotel in a great location. If I ever needed to attend a conference in DC again I would definitely consider staying here again (despite the few negatives I pointed out.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor to avoid noisy neighbors above you!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for providing us feedback from your recent stay with us. I'm glad overall we was able to make you a satisfied guest beyond some of the items you mentioned. Our breakfast closes at 10am during the week and 11am on the weekends. If the food is being taken away prior to those closing times, than we will address that immediately. This feedback is very important to us as it allows us to make sure we are delivering excellent service consistently.Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance with future reservations.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments and we look forward to your return.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Made reservations here based on tripadvisor reviews. Big, clean room. Great location - walking distance to the Metro, restaurants, shopping, one quick Metro stop to Friendship Heights where there are more restaurants and shopping, and only 15 minute Metro ride to DC.Had an issue with the refrigerator and within 5 minutes of telling the front desk, someone was at our door. (The frig was fine.) The parking garage is next door, with an entrance into the hotel. And my favorite - no valet parking! At the last Bethesda hotel we stayed at we waited forever for our car, and it was damaged by the parkers. And the mattress had two firmness controls for each side, nice! Will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am glad to hear that your experience was a great one. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to DC in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly with any assistance for future reservations.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 306 reviews
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy C...
#11 of 136 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 stars 299 reviews

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!