“Great Hotel, Location and Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast and Parking
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel, Location and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed here while attending a weekend wedding in Oct 2011. The location is right in the heart of Bethesda, MD. There are tons of place to shop and dine at within 2-3 blocks away. As others have mentioned, it's close to the Metro as well, which, when inside, seems like you are in the bowels of the Death Star. Odd but cool. But I digress.

Our friends had left a package for any out-of-towners coming to their wedding, and the hotel staff made sure we received it. They were also helpful when asking for places to eat in the nearby area. Also, this HGI has one of the larger lobby areas of any HGI I've been too, which is many. There's a full bar and a restaurant on premise. We didn't hangout at either but many people were having a good time.

The rooms are standard HGI fare. Nice Sleep Number beds, large flat-screen TV, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, etc. Hot water in the shower was readily available and the room was very clean.

Oh, one last thing. Cabs are easy to get since they frequently line up outside the hotel. However, don't take one to the airport. The hotel has a car service that is the same price or a bit cheaper than taking a cab, and you ride in comfort of a Lincoln Town Car. The cost to go to Reagan was $45. It cost us about $50 to get to the hotel in a cab when we arrived in DC. So yes, the town car was a bit pricier than a cab, but by about $5. Totally worth it to feel like Mr. Big in a town car. Also, the driver took us on a scenic ride across DC and so we got to see some of it's beauty while on the way to the airport. Yes, we made it to our flight on time, easily since it's only a 30 min ride (on a Sunday afternoon).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I decided to stay in Bethesda because the hotels in DC were too expensive by the time I got around to making a reservation. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness and quality of the room. I've stayed in a number of Hilton Garden Inns before and this is by far the best one I've visited. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed here during a recent visit to DC. The location is close to Bethesda Naval Hospital, Bethesda’s shopping/dining area and a two block walk to the Bethesda Metro station. Strongly agree with recommendation to stay here and take the Metro into DC. The room was clean and well appointed. Staff was friendly and efficient. Good breakfast buffet was included in our rate. Great place to stay in the Bethesda/Northwest DC area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them. All staff that we encountered were always smiling cheerful and very very helpful. Breakfast was a delight with a wonderful varied table to choose from. One downside to our holiday was that the taxi company that is used by the hotel take you the long way to your destination to bump up the price and tip. May be wise to ask the reception to print out the quickest route for you and you direct the driver....spoke with duty manager Aaron and he agrees this was a good idea. Other than that we had an excellent stay...Thanks to the staff.

• Stayed September 2011
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

This was a very nice mid-range hotel, very close to "Bethesda Row" (the shopping/dining area of Bethesda). 2 block walk to Metro station. Recommend staying here and taking the Metro into DC - its on the red line and lets you off at Metro Central station, a couple of blocks from the National Mall and Smithsonian.

Staff was very helpful with directions.
Room had "sleep number" beds, comfortable, very quiet room as well.

Room Tip: Stay on the side opposite Waverly Street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stay here on a regular basis and the hotel is clean and in a good location.

• Stayed September 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This was the 3rd time I have stayed at this property and I will be back next month. It's still a solid pick if you are looking for a hotel because of the location and the overall cleanliness. I have never had a problem upon check-in with the condition of my room.

Here is one thing that has not improved over the span I have been coming here:

Breakfast is still the same. It's good, but if you are not HHonors Gold or Diamond status, the buffet is NOT worth $14. The cold buffet is less but still pricey. It's not worth it in my opinion. The fruit is hit or miss on any given day. I had this problem the last time I was there. One day it is mushy and over ripe, the next day it's not ripe enough, then the next day it's ok. Since fruit is a big part of my breakfast, it's frustrating.

The breakfast staff is the same group that I have seen for about a year. They are friendly enough. One thing I don't understand is how I get a different bill each day. I am Diamond HHonors, so I have a breakfast coupon, but the bill I am left with varies from $7 to $11 to $14. This seems strange to me. I get a regular buffet each day - not the cooked to order breakfast - and get oatmeal, fruit, juice, and a yogurt. Same thing every day. Different price every day. I don't get it. If you eat here, make sure you get a bill that reflects what you are eating.

Also, if you have HHonors status (upgrades) or are looking for a suite, you will need to look elsewhere. They only have standard sized rooms in the hotel. Because of this, I plan to explore other Hilton properties in the area and that will help me decide where I want to stay each time I am in town.

Front desk staff has always been effective for me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 308 reviews
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy C...
#11 of 136 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 stars 303 reviews

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!