“Wants to be fine dining...doesn't quite make it...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oakville Grille and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 303 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Democracy Blvd
Transit: Grosvenor Metro Metro Bus
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wants to be fine dining...doesn't quite make it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Oakville Grille really wants to be a fine dining establishment. Unfortunately, there are several problems getting in the way of it achieving that.

- Price. Much too expensive for the quality, which wasn't bad but certainly wasn't good enough to justify the prices.

- Food: It's good, but not (yet) very good. Two different meals (salmon and tilapia) both had sauces that were so mild they may as well have been left off the plate.
Salmon was requested medium rare, but arrived medium well.
The steak was good, but served with fries, almost as if the chef couldn't figure out something more creative to plate with it.
Presentation was very nice in all cases.
Desserts were ok, but nothing spectacular.
- Service: Very attentive to start with, but got progressively less so as the meal continued.

I really wanted to give this restaurant a "Good" rating, but tripadvisor only offers Average or Very Good. Unfortunately, I can't justify the latter.

I hope they keep trying, because the potential is there.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rockville
“Really good local restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant. Everything we had - white pizza, duck confit, fish, was really good. And, things we saw but did not have tempt us to return soon. Deserts were equally good and a very nice and reasonably priced wine list. Excellent service by attentive and responsive staff. Even the bread was good. And the restaurant is relatively quiet so conversation was easy. And, unlike places further down in Bethesda, parking is easy.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Elegant and Eager to Please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Particularly appreciated was the willingness to accomodate my low sodium dietary requirement. With several tasty options to choose and a pleasant staff, I like this place to meet friends and work colleagues in an elegant environment.

Visited November 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Made a reservation for New Year's Eve.....were told it was impossible, but we could sit at the bar. When we arrived, the bar was crowded so we were offered a table in Geppetto's. We accepted, but were very disappointed! First of all, the service was just okay. Had to request the wine list and then the server stood over me waiting for me to select a wine......very annoying.... My husband got the calamari appetizer. Tasted good, but gave him diarrhea all day New Year's day.....he eats calamari, so this is unusual. His steak was delicious, but at $30 for the entree, I would expect something better than sub-par french fries......I've had much better at McDonald's. My sea bass was good, but I also had an upset stomach the next day!
Also, we paid Oakville prices, but did not get the atmosphere or the free Lindt truffles or party favors that were being offered on the other side and ended up with just so-so food. We used to go to Oakville on a regular basis, but hadn't been in a few years so this was very disappointing. Wish we had just stayed home......
The only saving grace was that I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in over 30 years and we had a chance to chat........but I'm afraid Oakville is off my list of restaurant choices in the future!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful little restaurant with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I've lived in Bethesda most of my life and always enjoy taking out of towners and friends to this nice restaurant for lunch- they have great options and the open faced grilled chicken sandwich is my absolute favorite! It can be a bit pricey, so i'd recommend trying lunch!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere