“Great Nepalese food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 300 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: In our ideal restaurant classic vegetarian dishes would be made from locally grown organic produce effused with Indian and Nepalese spices. Meats would be cooked high over hot charcoal in a tandoor (a traditional clay oven) allowing fats to drain, thereby lowering their cholesterol content. He would cook with olive oil, make his own yogurt and bake bread as ordered. Shangrila restaurant would serve the simple fresh, organic, flavorfully spiced foods that a mother would cook if she came from New Delhi or Katmandu.
Granbury, Texas
“Great Nepalese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The food was excellent and they have a great selection. Reasonably priced for the area, but higher than what I'm used to. They have a decent wine and beer selection as well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Very Good, Reasonably Priced Indian Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

And they serve beer and wine! A friend and I went here for dinner last month, and we were very impressed with the quality of both the food and the service. I must confess I am not an Indian food afficionado, but I have had enough to know what I like and what is of good quality. I had a lamb paneer, which was excellent. My friend and I shared an order of Naan, which was also very good. Service was prompt and attentive. When I came in and asked to change a couple of dollars into quarters to plug the municipal meters, the owner fell all over himself not only complying with my request, but even offering to supply me with the quarters to park if I didn't have enough bills to change (which I did not need to take him up on). I am one of those people who thinks it is uncivilized to eat dinner without a glass of wine, and many Indian restaurants do not serve wine or beer, so being able to have a beer before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner here was a special treat.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Horrible Service!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Ordered via Seamless and was expecting our food to arrive within 45-60 mins. It did not. After 5 phone calls we were told that the driver had broken down and another driver was picking up our food. Utter lies!! When. Our food arrived - cold- the driver told us that he had loads of deliveries and was running late! They wouldn't even give us a discount because we had ordered via Seamless and apparently didn't get paid by them till the end of the month??? Samosa was tasty but chicken jalfrezi was fatty and tasteless, lacking spice and full of potatoes. Rice looked as if it had been reheated. Avoid as you will be disappointed with the service and the food!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Slow but Friendly Service ~ Be Adventuresome and Try the Desserts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our 28 yr old daughter, who's lived in DC for 6 years, suggested this Bethesda, MD restaurant for a Sunday night dinner menu change ~ Nepali-Indian cuisine, while we, her parents, were in DC for 5 days, attending a National Harbor, MD, investment sales convention. Upon entering this quiet restaurant, it was dark and cozy as there were numerous flickering table candles, creating a warm, almost mystical ambiance to this small restaurant setting. We 3 were cordially seated at a table for 4 by the wall, white tablecloths and white napkins were laid out. We waited about 20 minutes for menus and waitstaff attention before being attended to. We perused the dinner menu and decided to order raitha, an Indian, Pakistani & Bangladeshi condiment made with yogurt, which we used to dip our naan (leavened, oven-baked flatbread), (This restaurant charges an extra $2.50 for a naan order.) For dinner, we ordered the chicken tikka masālā entree (boneless chicken breast strips marinated in yogurt & spices, and then served in a spicey tomato cream sauce/$15.25); chicken sag (boneless chicken sautéed w/ cooked spinach in curry sauce/$15.09); and, Khasi ko masu (goat meat cooked in a Nepalese curry sauce ($17.78). Among us, we 3 shared our dishes, and our "exotic favorite" was the Khasi ko masu, tasting a lot like beef rather than lamb meat. Wonderful, unusual spices mixed in all 3 entree dishes, which was very enjoyable and satisfying. My husband also ordered a wine glass of Bontera cabernet, which was rather pricey @$9/glass, but perhaps that's the usual restaurant wine price for DC dining. After nicely consuming our entrees by candlelight, the restaurant manager politely stopped by our table & recommended several unusual desserts to us: gulab jamun ($4.99)~ a traditional Indian dessert, created of spongy, milky balls soaked in rich, dark-brown rose-scented syrup.The other recommended dessert we consumed was ras malai ($4.99)~ a very popular Indian milk-based dessert (often served at Indian weddings): dumplings made from riccotta cheese & soaked in sweetened, thickened milk, delicately flavored with cardamom. It was served chilled to us & garnished with pistachio pieces. I'd recommend this restaurant for some unusual Indian-Nepali cuisine in the heart of the Bethesda upscale shopping district. It has an intimate, warm atmosphere, and friendly wait staff once they become motivated with the "routine and bustle" of serving you.Total restaurant bill for 3 adults = $79.34 + 20% tip.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
frederick, maryland
“Superb Nepali food experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great food, nice ambience and table settings, and accommodating staff. We came here with very good friends and all thoroughly enjoyed a first experience with Nepali food. Our young waiter, Dipesh, from Katmandu, was very helpful in guiding us through the menu to select traditional Nepali items and coach us on spiciness. He was very patient even when I asked if they had buffalo or yak meat on the menu (they have goat, chicken, and lamb). We started with a mix of vege and chicken "momo" (steamed dumplings) with a nice sauce. The gundrunk soup was a treat of flavors and spice (the key component is fermented dried spinach). For main courses, we had khasi ko masu (spicy goat), butter chicken (not traditional Nepali, but a nonspicy Indian respite), a vegetarian Nepali thali and the nonvegetarian Nepali thali. Thali is a large sampling of foods and these included dal (lentil) soup, gundrunk soup, spinach paneer, vegetable curry, chicken and goat (in the nonvege thali). All of the dishes came with the traditional basmati rice, but we also had a portion of Indian naan. We also received a small portion of a spicy pickled condiment. The food was delicious and satisfying. We had masala tea (spiced and dark) and finished with a taste of rasamali, a sweet dessert consisting of paneer soaked in milk with cream and flavored with cardamom and pistachio. We thoroughly enjoyed this meal and the interaction with the wait staff. I am already looking forward to the next visit! Next time, I think we would order main (traditional Nepali) dishes and share more around the table.

We were surprised that the restaurant was not full, especially for a Friday night, perhaps because they do a large takeout business.

• Visited January 2013