“Don't mistake this for a casual night out” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Arlington & Woodmont
Transit: Metro stop is a 5 minute walk from Assaggi. Bethesda metro Stop.
“Don't mistake this for a casual night out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Beautiful place, convenient to parking and the food was quite nice, but we left feeling that it was way over priced. I went with a good friend, looking to relax and catch up. The entrees were very tasty. We did not order pasta but on a cold, dreary night went for the beef short ribs and the lamb shank. Both were flavorful and " homey" . Problem was, both were meals we can make at home. We did not try the mozzarella and perhaps that was a mistake The place is very pricey for a casual night out. The soup of the day was $12.00. The salad was outrageously expensive for a plate of radicchio garnished with walnuts and a little cheese. The bread other reviewers raved about seemed stale. We were not offered more, or more oil. The cheapest bottle of wine on the menu was $40.00 and there is only 1 at that price. The service was fine. No problem with that. I think our issue was that for two people the tab was about $130.00 and we didn't feel we had had anything special. we were not looking for a cheap night out but at those prices we expect to be a little more excited about the meal. My friend is actually Italian, so she was anxious to try Assaggi, but we were both left feeling that we had a meal that was not worth the money.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mexico City, Mexico
“Wonderful Mozzarella”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great place. We had some of the most incredible mozzarella in quite some time, so much so we actually ordered twice. The San Danielli ham was to die for and the fresh whole fish superb. Loved the place and will definitely go back whenever we are in Washington again

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Assaggi translates as "tasters", and they mean it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Pasta dishes are good, not spectacular. Cheeses are excellent, but served in taster portions. Overpriced wine list. Service a bit messy. Good bread, oil. Why four stars? Because it feels like home, and there are no other real Italian restaurants in Bethesda.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Fresh food, authentic taste, amazing cheese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I noticed most of the negative reviews are regarding the service. I did not encounter anything wrong with the service, so naturally I give them an excellent review because the food was SO GOOD. We ordered the caprese starter and the mozzarella was seriously fresh! I order a clam pasta and the flavors were so good, not over salty, not bland, and of course...FRESH. My friend enjoyed her meal very much as well. We ordered Tiramisu for dessert, I dont like tiramisu to begin with but my friend wanted it so I agreed. After one tasted I wanted to eat the entire thing! I tasted nothing like alchohol like other tiramisu's, was light but perfectly sweet. It can get pretty expensive here but I had a groupon coupon and I'm SO GLAD I was able to use it! I would definitely go here with my husband. I wouldnt say its a great place for small children, but perfect for dates or a girls dinner.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great meal at Assaggi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Five of us had dinner at Assaggi this week. The food and service were impeccable. This restaurant has an open kitchen. The chef, Domenico, came to our table as we were finishing desert, to see if all was well, and answered our "foodie" questions with alacrity. We had a wonderful dining experience, as fine as in any upscale Italian restaurant in the D.C. area, yet at a reasonable price. I had last reviewed this restaurant two years ago, and while it was good then, it is even better now.

• Visited August 2012