“Monday night lite, Mozzarella, semi-chaotic floor craft” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Arlington & Woodmont
Transit: Metro stop is a 5 minute walk from Assaggi. Bethesda metro Stop.
Los Angeles
“Monday night lite, Mozzarella, semi-chaotic floor craft”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This place is in the middle of restaurant competition city. You can walk to at least 20 italian restaurants at different price points. This was somewhere in the middle on price and recommended.
The Mozzarella Bar was worth it as a starter but we had some Italianophiles at the table. We has pasta dishes as main courses which were reasonable but varied in sauce quality. The dishes arrived in sequence over 5 mins meaning we waited to start. Getting parmesan cheese around the table proved a challenging exercise with three trips and a request for some cheese on the side by one diner totally throwing the waiter for a loop. No desert or coffee, $30 per person before tips, tax, wine.

The wine list has good variety by the glass, we tried Dolcetta, Super tuscan and Montepulciano at $12 per glass, all of reasonable quality. One glass was spilt on delivery to the table, the manager instructed the staff to replace it with another but we were charged for both. Polite question - charge stands, Ok ... reduce tip by $12.

We enjoyed our experience and a dinner is the company you choose to keep. The floor craft disrupted the interaction at the table and was a negative. The spilt glass of wine should have just been replaced.
I'd go again for Mozzarella but this was a quiet night and when it gets busy I would shop away from chaos and try somewhere else.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Saturday lunch treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My first time here and it was for Saturday lunch. The experience couldn't have been better. The exceptional host explained the restaurant's menu. Our server was great--efficient and not intrusive. Although the panini sandwiches and pasta looked delicious, we ordered fish dishes. The cod with braised green lentils passed my critical luncheon guest's experienced fish taste test and my salmon was delicious and fresh tasting (there is nothing worse than a fishy-tasting old salmon!). Don't miss the "carrot cake with lemon frosting". Not your mother's carrot cake, it is not sweet but refreshing and topped by a mascarpone cheese (I think) frosting--again not too sweet. I definitely will come back to taste more of the varied menu--and bring friends.

Visited February 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“Manager and staff arrogant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

What a bummer experience. Was all excited to go there with some guests. We made our order with the manager no less- and he made a mistake and messed it up. So they served our guests their main course while they served us our salads. Then they took our plates away and the bread and we did not receive our main course. We asked for manager who took our order but he was nowhere to be seen and although we were told they would put in the order for us the dinner experience was already ruined. The worse part was that at the end when we had bill and I gave them my Bethesda coupon for $ 10 off they would not accept as they said it was restaurant week even though the coupon didn't say unacceptable during restaurant week. So when we expressed our displeasure with the experience the manager blamed us. That is what really unset us. He blamed us for his mistake. We all left with a bad feeling and a unpleasant 'taste" in our mouth. All he had to do was say he was sorry and perhaps offer us some token. Will not go there again and the managers attitude reflects their culture.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“I want to like this place --but just can't”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We've eaten here 3 times and our llast visit was almost a year ago. The place always seems to be crowded with patrons. We love the mozzarella bar concept and also love the menu decriptions. However, our first two visits left us wondering if we'd ever bother to return due to poor service and bland food. But because the menu is so enticing, we decided to give it another try and hopes our first two visits were just flukes. Sorry. We still cant figure out what's up with this place. No one seems to be in charge, and the service does not run smoothly. On the menu you can choose from 4 types of mozzarella, so I guess that's what they refer tio as a mozzarealla bar, but you'll see no other evidence of it. Anyway, the one cheese we ordered was creamy and delicious, and their bread is seriously good. But of the three different pasta dishes we tried on this visit, we found none that we'd consider ordering again. For example pasta with a lamb ragout sounded hearty and robust. But in the end it was just well cooked pasta that they simply mixed with browned and salted ground meat. No hearty sauce, just the greasy flavor of freshly cooked ground meat. My wife's ravioli dish was similalry uninspired with a brownish salty gravy. Our companion's pasta in a truffle butter sauce was also uninteresting. Dinner for 4 was $135 without drinks, dessert or coffee. It wasn't worth it.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington,DC
“it was open”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Let me start by saying- it was open on Christmas night. That is the best thing that can be said for our first, and last, experience with this restaurant. We made reservations for 4. On our arrival the first two of us were not even greeted at the door. We totally missed the hostess stand as it was hidden behind the curtain in the unlit entryway. A very pleasant waiter greeted us, asked out name and started to lead us to our table. My father, who is elderly, was having some trouble and I turned to help. Then, another person approached us and asked our names. I told him the other gentlemen as taking us to our table. He said no, I will do that and asked our names. I said that the first person had taken care of things. The new man now RUDELY told us that the first, and pleasant person was "JUST the waiter and he does NOT take people to the tables I AM the one who does that! " The waiter, on hearing this, made an apologetic gesture which was nice.
The maitre d' now having our name. escorted us to a table for two. When I reminded him the reservation was for 4 he huffed and took us to the table the waiter was originally headed for. No menus. No wine list to peruse while waiting for the rest of our party.
There are so many people waiting on the table that it is hard to know who is supposed to be doing what. They obviously had diffulty also. Very haphazard service operation.
The menu is difficult to navigate. There are no simple salads to add to the entrees. The food is generally bland. I should have read the earlier reviews on here before making the choice for a holiday gathering.
We did do the mozarella bar and perhaps that is a saving grace. I am in total agreement with other reviews here that this place is to be avoided. Spend your money elsewher. They obviously don't care about your dining experience just your money. Pretty much ruined what should have been a nice family gathering.
The only other plusses were that the food arrived hot and the decor was nice.

• Visited December 2011