“Fantastic food!!” 5 of 5 stars

Fantastic food!!

Joppa, MD
“Really enjoyed it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I tried Carried Away as they were in my Entertainment Book. Otherwise, I probably never would have gone in! No particular reason, I just know that I don't usually try little independent places on busy 'downtown' streets.
First, parking is always a bear in Bel Air, but I lucked out and got a metered spot half a block away. Not bad since it was icy and freezy rainy.
The place was warm and bustling inside. And smelled wonderful! The special of the day was grilled cheese and tomato soup, so I am sure that added to the 'homey' feeling.
You start by placing your order at the cashier stand. A menu board outside lists the daily specials and a huge menuboard inside lists the regular menu. The wall menu is difficult to read, especially for a new customer.
Unfortunately, the cashier was not especially helpful or patient and telling her that I was new there didn't seem to matter to her. But, everyone else working behind her seemed in a great mood and I decided to stay despite my less than warm welcome.
I placed my order and decided to have a seat at the 'breakfast bar.' Once seated, I was greeted by one of the 'counter girls' and immediately made to feel welcome.
When my food was ready it was placed in front of me at the counter. The grilled cheese and tomato soup combination was amazingly delicious! The grilled cheese was perfectly done as a panini and the tomato soup was the best I have ever had. The sodas are self-serve with free refills. I had also ordered a container of MD crab soup to go and when we had it that evening, it certainly didn't disappoint us. It was flavorful and had just the right amount of all the ingredients. I observed other folks eating HUGE beautiful salads and a variety of sandwiches/paninis. Every single item looked quite appetizing!
While eating at the counter, I was able to observe the owner and chief chef work and interact with the staff and customers. I was very, very impressed with all I saw and it makes me feel that the cashier was probably just having a bad day as she certainly did not seem to fit in with the rest of the staff's attitude.
I would highly recommend Carried Away Gourmet and I wish them a bunch of good luck. If good food has anything to do with it(and that isn't always enough), they should be very successful!

Baltimore, Maryland
“great place for lunch on mainstreet bel air”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

bel air in general is a strip mall and chain restaurant haven. on main street in downtown bel air, there are a couple of better choices, especially for lunch. carried away gourmet is a great place for lunch specializing in massive gourmet salads and well sized oozing panini sandwiches. soups are great, too. their menu is on line. everything that i have had there was at least above average. a
couple of things i consider absolutely excellent to my taste are the maryland crab soup, the cream of crab soup, the buffalo chicken salad
- romaine/mixed greens with 2-4 hefty chicken breast pieces breaded lightly in panko (offered only on tuesdays), and the tuscany panini.
prices are great for the portions running about $7-10 for lunch. a soup and sandwich is PLENTY of food, as is soup and salad...PLENTY. do not order both salad and sandwich unless you get a small salad and half a sandwich (if they even offer that). they do carry out and sit down. the place is casual and bright, typically very clean. they have outdoor seating, weather permitting, although it is on the sidewalk of busy mainstreet. the staff is pleasant enough. again, this place is casual and can be bustling at lunch time. don't expect a quiet romantic lunch, and do expect to wait between 11:45 and 12:45. parking right out front is first come, first serve on mainstreet. otherwise there is a very inexpensive parking garage around the corner (i think i payed 25 cents). they also do business lunches and catering which keeps this place quite busy. there is even
rumor that carried away gourmet will be open a night or two for dinners in the near future. i highly recommend grabbing a bite here, but go at 11:30 or 1pm.