“Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stage Neck Inn

You added Stage Neck Inn to your Saves list
Stage Neck Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Stage Neck Road, Route 1A, York Harbor, York, ME 03911   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I can't think of one bad thing to say about my experience at the Stage Neck Inn. From the beautiful beach, delightful indoor and outdoor pools, dining room, delicious buffet breakfast to my ocean front room, everything about this place was perfect. This was our second time there and it rained all of the days. The staff was happy to have my daughter play in a "game room" just off of the lobby with some friends she had made. Even though we were stuck inside one day because of torrential rains, the kids were entertained with movies, ping pong, imaginations, and the indoor pool. This is a 5 star hotel, in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Thank you for your nice review of the inn. I am so glad to know that you had a nice time, despite the rainy days, of which we had only a few this summer. The pictures of the York Harbor Beach are great! That is my favorite beach in the area. I grew up there as a child, and I love the fact that I can look out at it every day while I am at work. Well, I hope that you will return in the near future. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
western ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed at the Stage Neck Inn the week of August 9th for three restful, luxurious nights. Everyday was as wonderful as the last. We arrived at the Stage Neck earlier than the check-in time. As many of you know, this is a big "no-no" at many places and sometimes, staff is even rude when you ask if your room is ready. Not at the Stage Neck, our room was ready and the woman at the front desk couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful; giving us a map of the resort and answering our questions. We were directed to our room which was under the main lobby. It seemed as if they maybe got our reservation wrong-it seemed like we were walking into the cargo hold of a ship. Not at all! We got to our first floor room and WOW! WHAT A VIEW! It's really not the "harbor" per se, you don't see a bunch of moored boats. What you DO see is the quintessential rocky coast of the river that leads to the ocean. It was unbelieveably peaceful and relaxing. Eventhough there were people on both sides of us, there was no noise-it was almost as if everyone was respecting each other's silence. For anyone that likes to do yoga stretches or meditation in the morning, this is the room for you. At night, the gentle waves lapping at the rocks lulled you to sleep. In case you aren't relaxed enough, the SPA is right down the hall. We both used it and we both enjoyed our time there. The outdoor pool is very big and, a big plus, there is a lap lane set up for adults. For those of you that swim, this pool is definitely lap worthy. Our child enjoyed the pool with her friends as well. In addition, there is food and beverage service poolside and it is reasonably priced. The staff at the pool restaurant was VERY GOOD- the bartender was attentive and remembered what everyone liked and the serving staff were very nice to the children. The pool is surrounded by a chain link fence that looks out on the beach. The (older) children could go to the beach, look for hermit crabs, then return to the pool area, rinse off, and dive right in again. What is NOT more idyllic than that? The indoor pool is very small but is fine for a little nighttime dip. Now for the restaurant. Our package included breakfast -it was THE BEST included breakfast we have ever had. Each day it would change a little, too, so it was never the same thing each day. There were Pancakes, eggs, bacon, eggs benedict, sausage, homefries, cereal, fresh fruit (all kinds, too-not just melon and bananas- there were blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.), yogurt, granola, oatmeal, toast, muffins, breads.. And it was replenished regularly. Nothing was sitting for too long at this buffet. It was delicious. My husband and I also ate at the restaurant. The bartender on Tuesday evening was very good. He came right over and explained the various chardonnays (and what they tasted like) and checked on us a couple times. The restaurant was lovely and the food was very good. My husband continues to talk about the petit filet which, "melted in your mouth". There is also a fire pit outside that you can sit around and have a cocktail. It, too was lovely. The servers in the restaurant knew their menu and were eager to help make decisions on dinner. While we were at dinner the turn down service came. They replenished towels and left candy (which our daughter loved). Housekeeping is very quick and efficient here-you never have to wait around while your room is being made up. This impressed my husband. This hotel clearly trains their staff with care-that is quite evident. The Stage Neck is perfect in every way. We are already planning our next trip-maybe fall when it's a little quieter and the leaves are changing color. Three nights at the Stage Neck felt like a week somewhere else. That is how relaxed the adults were when we returned home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you for your great review of the inn! We are so very glad that you and your family had a nice time with us. You certainly took advantage of all the inn has to offer. We thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to your return visit!
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I traveled with my 11-14 year old children and my husband. What a wonderful time we had. Location is wonderful, service is fabulous.... just a terrific time. Breakfast brunch was lovely. Gorgeous views everywhere you turn. Many couples were here for on vacation, but the children that were here were quiet and well behaved. We had an enjoyable time. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Oh, we are so glad that you and your family had a wonderful time during your recent stay with us. It is a great place to bring children, for sure!! There is so much to offer here... the outdoor pool and neighboring York Harbor beach are a great attraction. We hope to see you in the future. Thanks again for your wonderful review of the inn!
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We had been searching for a vacation spot for a few months. After having survived our daughter's wedding we decided we wanted a beach area that would provide a retreat for us. I came across Stage Neck from a special on JetSetter. The dates thatI needed di not apply to the deal I saw advertised but I pursued anyway.

To start with we made a seven hour trek to Maine where we had never been before. We had high hopes and I have to say they were met and exceeded. The hotel has 58 rooms, which is small, but has facilities that rivals many larger facilities. My benchmark for this hotel is the Ritz Carlton in Palm Beach. That may be a little unfair since the Ritz is a more costly facility with no beach location in the Northeast.

The hotel's location is on York Harbor Beach. It is a unique setting that you will see in the photos with the hotel high on the rocks overlooking the harbor. Next tot he hotel is a ramp to the beach and next to the beach is their outdoor pool. Since I am discussing location let me start with teh beach. It is maybe 1,200 to 1,500 feet long with beautiful rock formationson either side and beautiful houses on the ocean front. For the entire week the beach was uncrowded. We later discovered that the beach is primarily used by the hotel guests and local residents who buy parking permits to park in the public lot. So there are very few if any "day trippers". This made the beach uncrowded and peaceful. Plenty of space for people of all ages and families.

Given the short lead time (we reserved two weeks before our stay) we stayed three days in an oceanfront with two doubles and then three more days in a King with a harbor view. The Oceanfront was on the third floor. It had a cathedral ceiling with unique dimmer controlled accent lighting that could be used as a night light. Threre was a desk and a table with two chairs. There was plenty of storage space, a 42" flat panel, and safe that was large enough to hold a wide laptop. The bath had granite counter tops and tiledd floors. The bath had a shower of about 3' byy 5' but no tun. Personally I liked the larger shower with its rolling glass doors. The terrace overlooked the ocean. The bed and bedding wwas top quality on par with a RItz Carlton. I left out that the rooms have hardwood floors and higher quality area carpets.

The King Harborview was similar. It did not have a cathedral ceiling but had accent lighting along one of the crown molding. It had a smaller safe and a bath tub with shower head as opposed to a dedicated shower.. The TV was a CRT TV (Tube) and it lead me to beleive that some rooms have been upgraded and others are to be upgraded. To be honest the difference is minor and superficial. If you spend your time just watching TV you have wasted your vacation. After our one week stay we decided the Harborvieww was the nicer of the two. You have a great view and there are no outdoor hotel spaces so we did not hear anyone even with our terrace door let open all day and night. The only sound were the waves lapping against the rocks. There are few places you can find this kind of locaiton.

We saw the exercise facility and it was on par with any hotel this size. We also saw the indoor pool, which is relatively small but it seemed as though people very much enjoyed using it. On entry to the hotel lobby you notice it is quaint but reasonably large for a small hotel. It has hardwood floors and oriental carpets throughout the lobby. THe fornnt desk staff was helpful and personable. There is a small gift shop next to the fron t desk that was essentially a great selection of the best gifts we had found around the surrounding towns.

The restaruant: OK this is proobably one of the best parts of our vacation. We had breakfast each day inthe restaurant and all but two dinners. The two dinners we had elsewhere paled in comparison. The service and food was excellent. The waiters and waitresses knew the menu and were very helpful in making our selections. They were also very personable especially Jamie and Keegan.Our typical day was breakfast at 9:00 am and dinner at 8:00 pm. Dinners could be anything from booiled lbster to pizza (awesome pizza), and baked alaskan for desert. It was on par with the best restauants in any large city in the country.

I mentioned about he beach location. There is easily a weeks worth of activities for anyone visiting this area for the first time. I was surprised how it provided daytime activities like the beach, sailing, and fishing, as well as night time activities and lots of shopping.

Compared to the Ritz Carlton, this hotel is smaller -- it maintains the same qaulity and attention to detail. The hotel was perfect for every age -- "young" empty nesters, elderly and young families.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Wow, we are so very glad that you had such a great time at the inn!! We certainly try our best to make everyone's stay a pleasant one. Rest assured, that your kind words will be passed on to the entire staff.

We hope to see you again in the future, and please make sure that you stop by my office, located directly across from the front desk. I would love to meet you both!

Phoebe Pressey
General Managaer
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for three nights with our 4 year old daughter. We consider ourselves to have pretty high standards of "vacationing" and this place was no exception. The staff was amazing, the rooms were not only up to date but extremely clean, and the amenities on-site couldn't be beat. If you're into Honky-Tonk beach vacations this is not for you. It is upscale without being pretentious and we couldn't believe how many families were staying there as well. The rooms are impeccable and cleaned about three times a day. There is a private beach right next to the resort with soft sand, an enormous outdoor pool with grill restaurant, and an indoor pool which yes, is small, but serves its purpose. We loved that we could either stay at the "resort" all day or go into downtown York for the day and then come back to our lovely retreat. The Stage Neck restaurant is also amazing and my husband couldn't stop talking about his lamb. I thought he was going to order it for breakfast the next morning. The dinner menu really was out of this world and the kid's menu was perfect for our daughter. We got an Ocean View King Room with a balcony but next year we would move to the garden floor since the walkout ground level patio would have been ideal for our daughter to play. The only negative aspect was that the Ocean View Room balcony was very small and not very private since it is right above the lawn where everyone sits. Everyone sitting outside in the big adirondack chairs or in the restaurant can see right up to where you are sitting. That said, we would still get Ocean View or Harbor View but on the garden level. And honestly, the rooms overlooking the parking lot were not bad at all if you are looking to save money. In addition to looking at the parking lot you can still see the boat docks and beach! The only other downside from our room was that there was a very limited phone signal so we couldn't use our iPhone on the balcony, only standing in certain parts of our room. Overall, a unexpected lovely vacation that we cannot wait to return to next year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
What a nice review you gave us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We do cater to families, for sure, along with being a wonderful resort for couples. There is alot to do at our lovely resort, and all within such short walking distance. I am pleased to know that you used all the amenities that we offer. Looking forward to seeing you next year, if not before.

Phoebe Pressey
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The staff at the Stage Neck are amazing ! They are all eager to please from the front desk, servers, housekeeping right down to the man that was tending to the pool and grounds . I can honestly say that the description of this hotel on the internet was totally accurate and was what I expected. I wanted this to be a special vacation as I was treating my mom and it was that and more. We can't wait to return and are looking into going again in October !

• Stayed July 2010
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
We are thrilled that you had a nice time at the inn. I will be sure to pass on your nice comments to all of my staff. We look forward to your return visit in October. Thank you again!
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Once a year, I try to do a weekend trip with my mom and sisters. This is our "girls getaway." We try to stay at locations where there is a nice spa for some pampering. The Stage Neck heavily advertises it's Spa treatments and packages on it's website, but it was impossible to get any services. I called ahead of our arrival on Saturday, but was told that there was no availability. When we arrived at the hotel, the spa was closed. I continued to pursue the possibility of getting some manicures (something we were all looking forward to), but was told that an individual was not available to provide the service. I was even willing to drive to another spa where the Spa manager was located which was about 20 minutes away. They were also unable to provide the service. Needless to say, we never experienced any of the wonderful spa treatments listed. We were also disappointed by the size of the indoor pool. Even 4 to 5 people would created a crowded situation. There are some positive attributes, however, in that the inn is located in an absolutely beautiful location. It's a great place to walk or just sit on the lawn and watch the ocean. Just hope that the weather is nice as the indoor activities are pretty lame.

• Stayed May 2010
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
I am very dismayed to hear of your disappointment in regards to our spa services, or the lack of availability in treaments you so desired and requested during your recent stay with us. Our spa is, typically, so accommodating and we receive such rave reviews about all of our varied spa treatments. I only wish that you could have experienced them.

Having a small spa, as we do, can certainly have its' disadvantages when last-minute spa treatments are requested. Thus, we have a strict policy when taking room reservations to always mention to our incoming guests about advanced spa reservations. It is advised that this be done days in advance of arrival. I certainly do hope that you had been told this, as well!

I can only hope that you will give us another try in the future, just so we can allow you that pleasurable spa experience you so desired. We appreciate your business, and I do hope that
you enjoyed all the other aspects of the inn. Our sincerest apologies.

Been to Stage Neck Inn? Share your experiences!