“A real gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stage Neck Inn

You added Stage Neck Inn to your Saves list
Stage Neck Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Stage Neck Road, Route 1A, York Harbor, York, ME 03911   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

We stayed at the Stage Neck after just over two weeks of travelling in the US(staying at five star luxe hotel in Manhattan and then Relais et Chateaux in Newport RI and an old country "grande dame" hotel in New Hampshire) . I would disagree with some of your reviewers in two major ways- service and decor/amenity. I wonder if it is possible that the hotel has been refurbished since those reviews ? We were with another couple and having booked late we all needed to change rooms during our stay to achieve the nights we wanted, so we had an opportunity to see harbor view ,harbor view corner and ocean view corner rooms. They were all excellent, in terms of size,decor and amenities- they looked newly decorated. All had a deck and access to lawn. The beds were extremely comfortable- either king or two doubles. Each room had a fridge, towelling robes .coffee maker, iron and board etc.

We all had spa treatments in the newly opened Spa ( it has been open a month) which is a very nice facility with friendly and competent therapists.

The public areas are extremely comfortable and appear to have been recently refurbished. We had bad weather during our stay and were grateful for somewhere comfortable to spend time during thunderstorms. On one bad day complimentary tea coffee etc was set out in the lounge and refreshed regularly morning lunchtime and tea time ( on regular days this is available morning and afternoon - the latter with cookies). In addition residents have half price cocktails served with complimentary cheese and crackers everyday from 3 to 7 pm. The management is very solicitous and we found service to be very good at the front desk, housekeeping and in the bar. Sometimes the restaurant service did not live up to this but it was never really bad( and we were comparing this to good Manhattan restaurants and a Relais et Chateaux hotel).

We recommend eating breakfast a la carte rather than having the breakfast buffet . This was not expensive and unless you eat a huge breakfast it will not be more expensive. The a la carte was freshly prepared and as good as we had anywhere during our stay.

The lunch /casual dining/room service menu was absolutely fine but dinner was less good. We would recommend using the many excellent restaurants in Cape Neddick or the Yorks for dinner.

All in all we completely understand why most of our fellow guests keep going back to the Inn . It has a stunning location excellent roomsand amenities at a reasonable price and helpful staff who want to make your stay memorable and pleasant. From the Inn there are several pleasant walks including into the old town of York which has a number of historic buildings and the York Harbor beach is 1 minute away. IF the weather is good there is no real need to move too far from the hotel ( it has a good outdoor pool and tennis courts too) particularly if you have young children.

• Liked — Location and amenity
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Foxboro, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

We booked this last munute get-a-way and had a great offer too good to pass up. Booked a harbor/river view 2 queen beds on the 2nd floor with breakfast and 4 course dinner for two nights. And what an offer it was. We have found a hidden jewel and will certainly be back!! Our waitress for both nights was Martha and she did a surpurb job. The food was very good for both meals. What a view from the dining room even though it was foggy and drizzely both nights. The room was clean and very comfortable, lots of towels and a coffee maker. The pool is a short walk and we did use the indoor pool too. It's small but it was refreshing.
Great location. Friendly staff and great food. Who could ask for anything else!!!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

I have never been to maine in my life. a good friend of mine suggested york along with a few other locations. she also suggested the stage neck inn. i checked out their website and was unsure. you never can judge a book by it's cover. we called and they helped us in deciding whether it was the right place for us. we decided it was. we arrived around mid july. having checked in, the front desk was extremely personable and polite, and the help carrying our luggage to our room were polite and very humurous. we also found we had access to the out door pool. we decided to go for lunch one day knowing they served lunch there. i remember our waitress, she was so cute. she was little and had freckles. i believe her name was Katie. she was by far the best waitress we have ever has in our life! the next day we decided to instead go to the pool but to dine that evening in their main dining area. and again we saw "katie" where she was also a busser. this bothered us that they may have been over working their employees but after speaking with katie we realized she liked working so much! we also had the pleasure of having her mother wait on us (they both work there!), Donna! she was great! so enthusiastic and polite. they are really the only two that stick out in our mind. our meals were fantastic and our stay was amazing. the entire hotel accomodated us 110%. we even had the pleasure of meeting the owner when we dined one evening. Mr. Mark Foster was so great! he spoke with us as if he were any other person, even bought us a bottle of wine! an AMAZING experiance. I have reccomended this wonderful place to all of my friends, and we will definatly be returning

Stayed July 2007
New England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I am so glad I found this review website. I have been wanting to let the Stage Neck Inn know for years how they could make their inn so much better with some more attention to service and details. Nobody can argue with the setting, views, and decor. It has a wonderful nostalgic seafaring romance, with a feeling for how Summering in old York must have been; but the service & menus have been dismal and uninspired for many years. In addition, some of the amenities are dated. And lastly, the management (both top & middle) clearly have lost their drive for real customer service, relying instead on the bland but loyal old school clientele that comes year after year--whose numbers I imagine decline every year, while the new generations will be spending their $300+ a night at the new luxury hotels and hip restaurants in downtown Portsmouth, NH.

I have stayed at Stage Neck twice, and dined there several times as a guest at weddings and for dinner/brunch while staying there. I am a local too. I've stayed in two different rooms. The views are spectacular, and the rooms are nice (why the feathers everywhere though...?), if not a little dark. The bathrooms are no better than average hotels, which was disappointing both times. How I would love a jacuzzi or a mini vacation from my own bathroom at home, which is what the Stage Neck bathroom reminds me of (i.e. nothing special at all). I've stayed at many luxury inns all over New England and elsewhere around the country and world, and the Stage Neck rooms don't stand out in either a bad or good way. The decks are small, and not very comfortably appointed--which again, is disappointing because that is where you want to spend your leisure time--staring at the view from your room.

I never took advantage of the "spa," but the indoor pool, while it might be fun for kids, needs some major updating. And wouldn't it be wonderful if it too had a view of the ocean?? Nothing special at all.

The clay tennis court and outdoor pool are a true nicety. Even though Harbor Beach is part of the town of York and therefore public, you do feel that it is a private beach for the Inn--a definite high point. Plus, the walking opportunities that await just steps from the inn (Fisherman's Walk, Steedman Woods, Cliff Walk, picturesque York Village) beckon all.

Those alone make Stage Neck a gem, but I categorically draw the line at the service and menu. The service is very , very bad; and the menus coincide with it. So much, to be a very real distraction from the positive aspects mentioned above. Let me preface by saying that I am a foodie, and Stage Neck disappoints tremendously with it's bland (sometimes odd) menu and IHOP inspired brunch. Let me tell you in detail about our dining experience:

We made reservations for 7:30pm. The "dining room manager" (forget his name--had a ponytail) also called himself "maitre'd"
did not greet us. He appeared to be "very busy" however, wandering all around the dining room in an important looking way (doing what, we later wondered). We decided to go the bar, where the attentive and jovial Richard helped us (he is a star in an otherwise dull service staff) by finally getting the managers attention. We arrived earlier than our reservation hoping to get in earlier, but waited 45 minutes for our reservation, even though there were many tables open (again, what was the manager doing this whole time? he never checked in with us?!). This ended up working ok because we got to chat with Richard and learn more about York--he should be running the inn by the way, as he was the only staff member who seemed to be actually helping guests and making them smile. His name is the only one I remember, which for a small inn with a supposed long standing and loyal clientele is worth mentioning. Anyway, we finally were seated by the window (sadly, it was dark already) and then, we waited. And waited. And waited..for our 12 year old waiter. He mumbled some apology about something, and finally took our drink order...which took 17 minutes. We wanted some bread to get started because we had been waiting so long, and we were informed that we had to order out entire meal in order to have the bread bestowed upon us. WHAT?! We were literally dumbfounded and slightly offended. What is this The Olive Garden, or a 4 diamond resort? Does the Stage Neck trust their guest so little...were we, who were spending $355 dollars a night going to eat our bread and leave? Oh, wait, we can't--we already pre-paid for our dinner. Hmmm...4 months later, as I'm writing this, I am still annoyed. We did not trust this kid to fire our courses appropriately, so this little odd policy of pre-ordering every course was even more ridiculous. What are they thinking? This is the problem with Stage Neck Inn service in a nutshell...strange policies that leave a bad taste in your mouth, and make you feel like they are just tolerating you, but extremely happy to have your money.

Next...the salads were warm (HUGE pet-peeve)--in fact my husband did not even eat his salad it was so bad. The steak was medium well, and not medium rare, but our waiter completely disappeared. Seriously, we did not see him for the next 35 minutes or so. And here is where I question the role of the "dining room manager"--my water glass had been empty for hours, our dinners were getting cold while we waited for the server to return, other guests looked a little annoyed...where the heck was the dining room manager? He certainly was not tending to the guests. If anyone needed managing, it was this very young waiter (he really looked about 15). When he finally emerged to clear our plates (GASP!) he made absolutely no apologies. He wasn't rude, he was just very very green. As I recall I believe these words came out of his mouth "shucks, better luck next time." (I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately). I don't remember if gratuity was included (surely, it must have been!), but we did not leave a tip in protest. All of this happens in even the best of restaurants, but the difference was that none of it was even remotely attempted to be remedied table side. The service staff, from top to bottom, disappeared for the entire meal.

We had a similar experience the last time we had stayed here as well--almost to a tee. The brunch buffet is boring and even a little tacky--the exact same overly "fried" french toast, (deep fried french toast?? are we in line for a funnel cake at the state fair or at a 4 star resort??) greasy diner bacon, tough scrambled eggs, abused and used chafing dishes, Best Western presentation. Yuck, ptooey. Don't spend your money on any dining there--you will be disappointed at every turn if you are accustomed to "4 star." The lobster dinner might be do-able since that is usually a sure thing, although I've never had it. Boring, boring, boring is all I can think to say. I am not apologetic for this harsh criticism of the dining and service experience--it was wildly disappointing both times we stayed there.

As for the two weddings I've attended...the service was cold (food and people) both times. Both brides complained later about the coordinator and how many times she said "no" to their requests, not to mention the abrupt nature of her personality (why do people who don't like people always end up in these front of the house jobs--try another field!). There is a definite "trickle down" feeling though, not to make excuses for the staff, but it is quite obvious (with the exception of Richard) that the management endorses this lack of special customer service.

If they could dial in the food and service, Stage Neck Inn would be a most wonderful place. That is why I write this long and thought out review. I would love to see it thrive for us locals and for new tourists. I am tired of the 'build it and they will come" "laissez-faire", "captive audience" attitude of some of these ocean front old school resorts. Kick it up a notch Stage Neck Inn: word gets around fast in this internet based, open source, blogged age of information. You can't rest on your laurels forever.

• Liked — views, beach, walking, York
  • Disliked — food, service, outdated amenites
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Keene,NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

We have spent the past 15 Thanksgivings at the Stage Neck Inn. It is one of our favorite destinations because we know we will not be disappointed. The food is excellent, the rooms are clean and comfortable with beds and bedding to die for! Though we have a favorite room, there are no "bad" rooms. The staff is always pleasant and the Manager, Phoebe, always makes her guests feel so welcome. Because some of the staff has been there for years, it is indicative that they are well treated as well. The rooms and other ammenities are continually being upgraded so it is fun to anticipate the changes. A new spa will be completed when we return next year. Can't wait!

• Liked — Wonderfully comfortable rooms.
  • Disliked — Getting more expensive
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

Friends and I have a yearly winter tradition to spend a pre-Christmas weekend at Stage Neck. This was our 8th or 9th visit. As always we were pleased with the comfortable and clean rooms and the friendly staff, many of whom have waited on us from our first visit. The Inn is lovely and relaxing. It is not the place for 'night life' tho. The breakfast buffet ( you can order off the menu also) and the dinner included in our package were excellent. The wait staff are friendly and efficient. Our recurring complaint is that the small Sandpiper bar was closed in the evenings because private parties had booked it but we were able to enjoy its ambience in the late afternoon. This year's holiday decorations were a little on the lean and tired side which maybe are a reflection of the less than full house and a need to economize. Given the current economy, Stage Neck's price for the weekend package is a little steep. We haven't reserved for next year yet - the change in policy requiring 2 nights deposit is the reason for that.

• Liked — Luxurious room
  • Disliked — room and inn were very dry- they need a way to add humidity in the winter
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

I have stayed at the Stage Neck Inn four or five times since 2005 (last stay there October 2007) and my impression has never changed: friendly people, a beautiful and peaceful location, good food and nice accommodation. The average age of travellers frequenting this place is perhaps a bit old for my taste but who cares about fellow travellers anyway (as long as they are not a nuisance which the Stage Neck Inn guests never are). This place is ideal for a weekend getaway to chill out and enjoy New England. Highly recommended!

• Liked — The location right by the sea
  • Disliked — maybe the bathrooms could be better, but then again, it's an inn and not a 5* hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Stage Neck Inn? Share your experiences!