“Stop for the saltwater taffy!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Columbus, OH
“Stop for the saltwater taffy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our New Hampshire friends brought us here specifically for the taffy. Beautiful setting, directly off the beach. The box of taffy I purchased for friends and family has suddenly disappeared....

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
“Love... Love... Love!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been coming to Maine since I was a year old. I love the food here. The waitresses can be a little grumpy. But I still love coming here. It's also a pain to walk up the stairs to the bathroom.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great lunches, delicious ice cream, & out of this world saltwater taffy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Been coming here since I was born! Love their ice cream and taffy. The whole place has an old fashioned feel; definitely a York institution!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Just like the old days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've been vacationing in York Beach for 53 years since I was 9 months old. The Goldenrod was always a must do and still very much is. It has a certain ambiance that's hard to describe. We had wonderful lobster rolls for lunch, quite possibly the best we've had both in taste and content. Our server Sandy was very friendly and up beat, a definite attribute to the restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
carmel, ny
“Buyer beware! Selling old taffy! Told to leave it in hot car to soften!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading so many good reviews about the taffy, I had to try it myself.I love salt water taffy and always look for good places to buy some. I went there with the family & the place was packed. Great sign. I asked for several pounds of taffy & was given already made boxes. I always bring taffy back as gifts for family.
I tried a piece the next morning. It was very hard and not easy to chew! My husband tried and threw his out, inedible! Looked at some other reviews that stated the same, they sell old taffy in the already assorted pre-made boxes. My husband called and spoke to Sherri in the office. She told him to bring in the receipt for a return, no problem & to not buy the pre packaged boxes again (wonder why!) .It was our last night & he went with my 2 year old to do the exchange.
He was given a very hard time by many of the workers, who refused to do the return, even though he was told it would be no problem. The chef even came out to tell him the taffy is supposed to be hard. A young girl told him he should leave it in a hot car to soften! After speaking to several employees who refused to do a return, a manager came out. When he told her what Sherri had said about not buying the pre packaged boxes again, she did the return, weighed the boxes and did not give a full refund even though only two pieces had been removed. She also told him he could not buy candy there at that time ! He was shocked and embarrassed. We left Maine with no taffy to bring home. I guess she did not want to sell him fresh taffy, it would only prove his point about the first boxes being old. I would never go there again. I would have expected an apology and a fresh boxes of taffy as an exchange. Not the humiliation my husband received for returning stale candy bought for $8.35 a pound! Horrible way to treat a customer when they are selling old boxes and seem to be aware of it!

• Visited August 2012