“Disaapointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage Inn

You added Anchorage Inn to your Saves list
Anchorage Inn
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Route 1A, 265 Long Beach Avenue, York Beach, York, ME 03910   |
Special Offer
Stay and Dine Package
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disaapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent one night here during our drive down the coast of Maine. I am glad to report we only had to spend one night here.
I'm really confused about the website as the pictures do not accurately reflect the room we were assigned in the least bit. I'd like to know where those nice rooms on the website are located.
Upon checking in, there were no parking spots. There were children running around everywhere and the building looked like an old sea side motel. It was pretty worn down and there were disgusting stains and what looked like either gum or chew or spit on the carpet in the stairwell.
The rooms had a great view of the beach and ocean but the room left much to be desired. The bathroom was tiny. My brother in-law who is 6ft could barely fit in the bathroom. There was NO cell phone service and the Wi-Fi that they claimed to have wasn't able to be connected at all during our stay.
Overall, I would rate this as a very disappointing hotel. I have no idea how a family would stay in those rooms for an extended stay. And the website truly does not match the rooms in any way shape or form.
If there was an updated version of the rooms somewhere, we clearly missed them.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that look like the ones advertised on the website.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi 2GirlsAndaJeep -

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay.

We are so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We certainly agree with you that there is no cell phone service in the area - and we wish that it would improve! Unfortunately, in this coastal area, the cell phone towers are few and far between. I am puzzled that you were not able to connect to the Wifi - in researching, it doesn't appear it has been down at all.

I am also very sorry to hear that you feel the website does not match the the rooms in any way shape or form. Under the Accommodations tab on the website, each building is a different tab and photos are labeled with the variety of room types. From your description of the view, it sounds like you were in the Main Building and the website does show separate photos of different room types that are in this building. There is a variety of room types - I am sorry that you did not find the one that was booked to your liking.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback about your stay. We do hope that you were able to enjoy the beach and the pools during your stay.

Patti D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am not one to write about hotels very often unless i like them alot or not at all. i stayed at the anchorage inn and i hated my stay. This was my 1st trip to maine and it will not be my last but it will be my last stay at anchorage inn. Upon arriving we could not find a parking spot to just check in. When getting to our hotel room i said to myself what a dump. there was mold outside coming from the air conditioners from the other rooms above us. the building we stayed in had a pool inside cool right? NOPE it smelt and reminded me of highschool pool room the smell of the chlorene was sickning! and the water was warm i mean like it felt like a hot tub... luckily we did not have to spend much time in our room as we were gone alot. the cleaning people did a nice job and we did tip them however the towels were so stiff and hard it hurt to use them! the beach was right across the street which was nice and easy access to. this place could be a gold mine but instead its a class act DUMP. isnt it weird that this place has gotten more negative reviews than good ones? dont waste the standard 200$ a night or even 5$ a night. we would of ratherd staying the night in our rental car which was a hell of a lot nicer then this dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay far far far far far away..... consider this........ you have been warned!

Room Tip: if you want a tip fine... stay the hell away from this freaking dump!
Hi Lindsey M,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the Anchorage in the Atrium Building.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt the Atrium pool was too warm - this is the first concern that I have had on the temperature being too warm. We do keep the air in the Atrium warm on the inside of the building for those guests who are using the pool. The pools are kept right around 80 degrees.

We so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you were able to enjoy York with your family and that you visit Maine again in the future.

Rochester, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed on the 4th of July week with some friends. Once we got there our room was not what I expected. For the price we paid I expected something more comfortable. The patio had mold on the siding and the carpet was wet from the air conditioner from the room above leaking water. The shower had mold also. We didn't have to spent to much time in the room because we did alot of sightseeing. I also had a hard time trying to use my cell phone. I had to go outside the building quite a way from our room. Other people I spoke with had the same problem. I wish we did more research on this place. I will never come back.

Room Tip: Do your research!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Dianne P,

Thank you for giving us feedback on your stay.

We certainly agree that the cell phone service in the York area is spotty at best. As a local, I would love to have better cell phone service along the beach - unfortunately, the cell phone companies haven't listened to our pleas yet!

I'm sorry to hear that you felt that the rooms should be more comfortable for the price that you paid. We do our best to keep our rates comparable and competitive for this area no matter what time of year, but especially in the summer. I will definitely bring to the attention of our housekeeping staff what you noticed about your room, so that they can address it. I am not sure if you mentioned it to anyone during your stay - but we would have certainly addressed while you were here if you did. We always have staff available to address any concern a guest has.

We do hope that you were able to enjoy your time in York with friends.

Woburn, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I went away to York, ME for two nights on July 5 and 6, and came home on the 7th. We were looking forward to staying at the Anchorage, which was recommended to me by a co-worker. Before we went, I thought the $200/night we would pay was a decent deal for scheduling only three weeks in advance and for traveling on a holiday weekend. Boy was I mistaken.

It started pretty much immediately when we got there, when we discovered the parking lot was jam packed and cramped. You felt like you couldn't move anywhere. We luckily found the one spot that was open and went to check in. We got there an hour before check in, so we had some time to kill. We asked where we should go to eat; the first person at the desk that I asked didn't know what to say. Another person spoke up and suggested the restaurant across the street. This is pretty much the only food suggestion they gave us any time we asked this question.

We we didn't have cell service at the Inn. We got spotty 3G if we traveled down the road a bit but the Inn was a dead zone. We decided we'd be able to connect to the Inn's wi-fi once we got into our room, but that was not the case. We got NO internet connectivity from their wi-fi the entire time we were there. This left us with few options for finding places to go, apart from the map they gave us of the area and the phone book in the nightstand from 2010 (we tried a few numbers from this, all were no longer valid). One night we both wanted burgers, so when we asked the staff, they told us to go "across the street" again. That place had just one simple burger on the menu. Not what we were looking for. We tried two more places just by stopping by a random restaurant we saw and grabbing a menu, before we found a place that had more than one type of burger. Every restaurant down there seems to focus on fish and nothing else, so it was frustrating trying to find what we were looking for--not to mention that it was a holiday weekend and the traffic was so bad it took 45 minutes to move 4 miles down the road. Needless to say, the no wi-fi thing was a big problem for us.

When we checked in we had a friendly staff-person who told us our room number and where we should be parking relative to our room. I thought, 'Great, each room has an area they should park in, we'll have our own spot.' Nope. I think only once in our three days there did we find a parking spot in that area we were told. Parking was impossible, competitive and frustrating. No one even told us that there was a bigger lot in the back of the Inn that we could use. When we discovered this we thought it was great, as there were many open spots, but unfortunately parking there meant you had to walk all the way around the Inn just to get back to your room, because there is no rear entrance to the building. I think they should assign each room one spot in the lot to avoid this situation; I'm not sure why they don't.

Finally, the second day we were there, we ran out of towels and had a hard time getting new ones from the cleaning staff. When the maid service originally came around to do our room, we were just getting ready to go out, so we asked them to come back when we left. We left the room about an hour later to go to the beach, and on our way out asked for more towels. The friendly maid service person cleaning a room a few doors down said she would be happy to get us some. Well, we come back two hours later, feeling disgusting from the salt, sweat and sand from the beach, and discover that we still had no towels and our waste baskets were still full. At this point, the same cleaning person was doing the room next to ours, and when she saw us she apologized and said she forgot to get us towels, and that she would get them for us. I told her that we would really like to shower as soon as possible. We wait 10 minutes, nothing. I decided to get in the shower as I couldn't take feeling that gross anymore, and hoped that in the next 20 minutes the towels would come. They didn't, and I had to dry off with the last clean hand towel we had left. While I was drying, my boyfriend went out again to find the cleaning person, and she had now moved two doors down on the other side of our room from where she was before. She saw him and put her finger up as if to say, hold on, I will get them right now. We wait 10 more minutes, and at this point I'm furious. I wanted to call down to the office to complain, but since she had motioned that she was going to get them, I didn't want to cause problems. I just wanted a towel. Five minutes after that we FINALLY got towels, just in time for me to have already dried and dressed, and we also got our waste baskets emptied. In all, it took 3 hours and 45 minutes to get new towels.

Overall, the experience we had was definitely NOT worth the $200/night we paid to stay there. I will not stay there again and would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Katelyn B,

Thank you for your feedback & review on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry to hear about your parking frustration while you were staying with us. I am unsure why one of our Front Desk staff did not point your towards the Atrium parking lot when you expressed your frustration about parking to them, but I will certainly follow up with each individually to ensure that they are mentioning the additional parking in that location. In the busy summer season we do limit parking to one car per room and issue parking passes for this very reason. Please know that the Front Desk associates attempt to point you in the direction of parking was simply to give you an idea of where to park with regards to your room location; parking is not assigned

In reading your review regarding both the internet as well as the cell service, I can personally vouch that cell phone service in the York area is spotty at best. The coast of Maine lacks a cell phone tower in the vicinity and, as a result, cell phone coverage is limited. We certainly agree that the coverage from cell phone companies could be better!

In reviewing the Front Desk logs for the time that you mentioned staying with us, there is no mention of the guest wireless being unavailable. Did you let us know you are unable to connect? Normally, if it is down or needs to be reset, we receive a fair number of calls because it is a popular amenity for our guests. I do wish you had let us know as we could have tried to help you connect.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with towels on your 2nd day with us. I will be bringing this up with our housekeeping staff, as it is certainly not the way we typically operate and I will be looking into it further.

I completely agree with your assessment that most restaurants in this area focus on seafood, with some other options. As a local myself, I am not sure if I could think of a local restaurant that would offer more then one type of burger - I will definitely look into this more so that, if there is one in the area, our front desk staff is aware of it.

Thank you again for giving us feedback on your stay. We do hope that you were able to enjoy the beaches in York while you were here.

Northborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family and I have gone to Maine every summer since before I can remember and we always stay at this hotel. They have a ton of pool options: one indoor one in the back building, one indoor pool and one indoor hot tub in the front, and outdoors they have one pool with a slide, one kiddie pool (only 1.5 feet deep), and one hot tub. They also have some breakfast and lunch foods as well as a full bar by the front pools.

They have a new bracelet policy though which was a little annoying to deal with. I completely understand that the hotel wants to keep people out who are not actual guests of the hotel, but asking everyone to wear a paper bracelet in the pool (that gets ruined when it gets wet) is a little much because you need to constantly replace it. They make plastic ones which would be a lot easier for guests who use the pool a lot and don't want to visit the front desk every day for a new one. Also, upon checking out we tried to mention this to the employee at the desk. He was really dismissive and rude about the whole thing, and because of this I am really reconsidering staying here next year because there was no reason to be treated like that. All we said was that the new policy became inconvenient for us and he told us that if we can think of anything better to let them know, otherwise that's the way it is. He could have at least said "sorry for the inconvenience" or some kind of sympathetic remark but instead caused us to leave on a real sour note but giving us a "just suck it up" attitude and basically telling us to get over it.

Also, the restaurant across the street is great. I've mostly gone there for breakfast but even the snack window when you are on the beach is good.

Room Tip: The rooms in the front have a nice beach view. The ones in the back have essentially no view. The &q...
Hi Stefinicious,

Thank you for giving us feedback on your stay!

I'm sorry to hear that you felt the bracelets were annoying. As you mention, this is a new policy for us after getting a significant amount of feedback from returning guests last year that the pools were overcrowded and we observed many individuals coming off the beaches to use the pools when they were not staying here. We attempted this to avoid having to ask each guest for a room key or last name every few hours, thinking it would be less obtrusive if the pool staff could see the bracelet, then they would not have to bother a guest.

I certainly appreciate you thought on the plastic bracelets - it is something for us to consider for the future. I do apologize that our front desk associate was not as thankful for your feedback. It is something that I will personally address, as with this being a new policy we are certainly open to feedback on how we can make it better. I do apologize for his behavior and the inconvenience you felt that these caused.

We are always happy to hear from our repeat guests - thank you for giving us feedback on your stay and how we could improve the bracelets. We have had a lot of positive feedback but there is always room for improvement. Thank you again for staying with us.

Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Anchorage wasn't bad, it was a little better than expected. I am not a big fan of motel style lodging where the door open directly to the outside. And after reading the reviews I was a little hesitant to book this place. It was only for one night , so I figured I might as well book it. There were four of us, my wife and two children (9 & 11). I was pleasantly surprised, the staff was real friendly and the room was real clean. We stayed in the main building , on the second floor and had a great view of the water. This place is right across the street from the beach, so its super convenient. The restaurant across the street was real good. I must admit though there were some negatives as well. The hotel is old, no doubt about it, it could use some updating. The TV in the room was very old, an old tube TV, but we weren't in there to watch TV, but would have been nice. The phone looked like it was 30 years old, a big fat touch tone one, I just had to giggle. The bathroom was real small. The pool with the water slide was surprisingly small, it seemed bigger from the pictures online. When we checked in, our room wasn't ready. That was expected since we were four hours early, around 11 am, not a problem since check in time is 3pm They told me to check back in after lunch, so I did around 1 pm, still not ready. Told me to check closer to 3pm. So I did around 2:40, still not ready, said it would be ready real soon. Checked back at 4pm, it was ready, hurray! Actually this wasn't a big deal, we were right across the street at the beach, so we weren't waiting around for the room to be ready. I would just pop back over the check, my family would remain on the beach while I checked. Other hotels where I have stayed will just call you on your cell or send you a text to let you know. So you don't need to keep checking, that seems much more efficient. Maybe the management can take that under advisement. We took a walk around the property and made a few observation I would like to mention. We walked over to the ocean suites building, we peeked into a room as it was being cleaned, it looked real nice and more modern than the main building. We later walked over to the atrium building. I found this building kind of neat, and strange at the same time. The pool runs down the middle of the building, and the rooms all overlook the pool down below. I felt like it was an odd setup. Not sure if I would like to stay in that building. Did not see the rooms in that building, so can't comment. here is my super pet peeve, I couldn't believe they didn't accept Am Ex. When I called to make the reservation and the desk clerk informed me they didn't accept it. so surprised. I never had a hotel not accept it. is it a big deal, no, but management needs to understand that people prefer to use one of their cards usually for reward points or a better interest rate, whatever the case may be. So they need to be flexible as well. You don't want to have your guests rolling their eyes and thinking, 'what kind of place is this' right off the bat. That is what went through my mind. You guys are a major business in a popular destination, you are not a mom and pop variety store, you need to provide guests more credit card choices. Overall I would give this hotel 3.5 stars. I wouldn't say this is a fancy resort by any means, so people need to keep their expectations realistic. It's location and staff are what keep people coming here.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building second or third floor, or in the ocean suites.
Hi Pgianna,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us.

We appreciate you feedback especially on the check-in process on how we could improve, by calling cell phones or texting. The unfortunate aspect for us, as other reviews have mentioned, is that cell phone service is very spotty around the York Beach area. On the times that we have tried that, it has not gone through and we ended up with a disappointed guest who thought they were going to get a text and never did. We are certainly open to suggestions though of ways to improve any of our processes.

Thank you for your feedback on AmEx. I will ensure that the entire management team is aware of your suggestion!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us Pgianna - we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future!

Spencerport NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

First all i was promised a 3rd floor room with limited ocean view when I made my reservation. When I arrived I was told that i would be on a 1st foor room with no ocean view. The management told me that if there was a another room available they would move me but.............. of course that never happened. The view that I had was 4 large propane tanks in a weeded area. Also the building was green with mold on the outside along with rusty air condition vents. They made the website pictures seem like it was an absolutely amazing facility and that the Nubble Lighthouse was so close to the beach, It was very decieving at best.Also the big dumpsters of garbage piled up was not nice to look at either. The inside bathrooms had rusty ceilings and fire sprinklers and there should of been a coffee pot in each room too. You had to truck up to the office to get a cup of cofee each morning. The only one good thing that I can say is that the beds were comfortable. I bet there are way more nicer and amazing places to stay but I need to do better research in the future is all. Live and learn I guess!! : (

Room Tip: Not sure how the rest of the rooms were but you need to read reviews and do your homework. Also alot...
, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Hi Donna M,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback of your stay.

We send email confirmations out each evening to anyone who made a reservation with us. In researching your comments, I believe that I actually spoke with you when you checked in. The reservation that was made & the confirmation that was sent were for a first floor room in the Atrium Building. I'm sorry that you felt you were promised a 3rd floor room. The summer is very busy and there were not any cancellations over 4th of July week for rooms on higher floors.

We are glad to hear that you felt the beds were comfortable. With regards to the website, we would like any additional feedback you have to offer on that. We would never attempt to deceive anyone and have not Photoshopped any photos that are on the website. There is one photo of Nubble Lighthouse on our website that I see - and it can be found in our gallery. The images on the Atrium page under accommodations do not show the Nubble Lighthouse at all.

Thank you for choosing to visit York - we do hope that you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather we have had and all that York had to offer!

Patti D.

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!