“Purple Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Montreal, Canada
“Purple Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

How can you screw up breakfast, well let me count the ways...
First, you cook two sponges, throw a few chocolate chips and jarred rasberry jam on them. Cover the beautiful mess with canned wip cream, and call it Pancakes with Fruit for 8.50$. Then, take a plate, put cubed three weeks old potatoes. Take a can of old mushrooms which you flop on top of the potatoes. Put the plate of mush, in the microwave for a minute. Drape in american cheese. Fry to eggs until they are crusty and brown. Then serve. For 11.50$ thats a bit stiff... And last but not least, to eggs fried to death, accompanied by four slices of old shoe leather, they refer to as "bacon". Served with two white toast. You're probably thinking, "Well, its impossible to screw up toast!" Apparently, IT IS! If you buy the cheapest and oldest bread that is passed its due date. Toasted slices of saw dust! All that magnificent breakfast for 31.50$ including the two coffees that tasted like dirty dishes and apple juice that would give anybody diabetes. Add three dollar of tip. It is safe to say we will never return to That Purple Place, ever!

• Visited April 2014

Knoxville, Tennessee
“This place Has lost it's charm :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I used to go here on our annual beach vacations. I remember the owner, sandy, chatting with customers who were willing to wait 30 minutes or more to eat. My experience here 15 years later was such a disappointment! Granted it was 3 days after Labor Day so most of the town was closed up and maybe employees were hard to keep on staff but that's a good sign that Sandys should have closed up too. The one waitress was overheated and perspiring. The kitchen had two microwaves to cook or heat most of the meals. I am pretty sure my omelette was made from egg beaters and the coffee was a cheap as it gets. They served water and milk in plastic cups. Cutting costs like that has cut my desire to ever go back.

• Visited September 2013
East Calais, Vermont
“So good the first day we went back a second time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Where else can you get 2 eggs, a slice of bacon and two slices of toast for 3.95? Very busy but worth the wait.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

On the drive from York to Ogunquit, my family and I spotted Sandy's and having skipped breakfast we stopped, entranced by the purple building with a beautiful beach front view. New England is full of hidden gems and I figured nobody can screw up breakfast. I was horribly wrong.

We ordered 2 egg whites omelettes with ham and onion and my mother ordered a mushroom omelette. Here is what we got:

Let me begin with the eggs which could not have possibly come from a chicken or even any mammal on the planet earth. They were watery and slightly brown. Inside the ham and onion omelettes were whole deli slices of ham. Not the good kind but the kind you buy on sale from Market Basket, maybe 2 for $1 that you have left in your fridge for a year and you throw immediately in the trash when it is found. The onion had gone bad and were slimy. I still have the taste in my mouth.

What was worse was my mother's mushroom omelette. The mushrooms were canned and had not even been cooked prior to be putting on in the "questionably egg" omelette. I am not done yet. The mushrooms were shriveled and tasted like rotten oysters. My brother, not believing the sight, took a bite of this atrocity and it crunched. Why in God's name would a mushroom omelette crunch?! My brother, then, unable to swallow a fishy tasting mushroom that has likely been on the shelf since the 1940s and is likely a case of Botulism waiting to happen, had to spit the food into a napkin and then close his eyes to keep himself from puking.

After a 20 minute wait for the check we threw down money and got the hell out of dodge.

We were so sickened by the rank tasting food we immediately acquired TUMS, mint tea, and bananas and had to sit outside for an hour to make sure that any projectile vomit would not occur on the car ride home.

I can honestly say that the breakfast I had at Sandy's is the worst meal I have ever had in my entire 32 years of life. Subsequent to this review, which is also going on Trip Advisor, I will be lodging a complaint with the Maine public health department. Yup, that bad.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodstock, Vermont
“Very un Maine like”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were there last Sunday what a disappointment dirty menus dirty table , waitress was very nice, we ordered an omelette to expensive for canned mushrooms it arrived with no cheese waitress took it back,you heard the grouchy cook an older man banging things around, when the omelette came back a slice of american cheese was on top melted by the microwave, it nit only looked awful you could not eat it. The waitress came back and apologized she stated he won't let me take it off the bill we paid the $20 and left a $5 tip the poor waitress was working under horrible conditions. Waste of $ and very un Maine like.

• Visited September 2012