“It's good, the food takes forever but it's good food.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's good, the food takes forever but it's good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

It's good, the food takes forever but it's good food.

VA
“I miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

My family and I dinned at Sarah's twice a month while we lived in Maine. The haddock chowder is a fall staple in our lives along with the assorted breads that they have. My favorite is the lobster sandwich which I miss dearly. Every time we come home we make a point to stop there for lunch or dinner.
Great food and excellent people that make sure the food is made with love.

Washington, DC
“Best Meal in all of Maine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Fantastic menu and great place to stop and have lunch. Loved their Whaleboat sandwiches. Service was fantastic and their menu is nice and diverse.

new jersey
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

i don't know what everyone else is talking aout but i think sarah's cafe is amazing,the food especially the matey's are delicious i have never once had a problem there and niether has any of my family and me have been going there for close to 25 years,the desserts are all delicious.i think sarah's is amazing

Maryville, Tennessee
“Fish With a Flame Thrower”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

After reading reviews from last year, Sarah's was on our list to try during the month we were vacationing in Maine (June 2007). We dropped in about 2:30 in the afternoon on a Sunday. The place was not crowded, but we waited about 10 minutes to get a table. . . two people told us they would "be right with" us. Finally the second person showed us to a table, but no pleasantries were exchanged because, obviously, we were a big inconvenience.

I opted for the fish chowder and bread (it is a self service soup buffet - they offer a choice of three soups and you may select three slices of bread/rolls). My husband ordered Sarah's "special," which was fried haddock with french fries. The waitress, who was very personable, brought our drinks quickly. I helped myself to the chowder and chose my bread. The fish chowder consisted of microscopic shreds (about 6) of fish in a thin watered down milk gruel with 75 chunks of potato in it - totally tasteless. The bread was good. Then I finished my lunch.

My husband's lunch had not materialized after 45 minutes of waiting (since our drinks were served). Finally, we asked and presto! Here came his lunch. We did not realize that fried haddock could be served "blackened." And not only was the fried haddock black, but the french fries were black as well - and very crispy - and very burnt just like the fish. Remember that charred, crunchy, black, outter layer on the marshmallows you set on fire over the campfire? This fish was totally encrusted just like that, only thicker. The fish looked like two pieces of coal on a plate. So badly burnt was the fish, that there were only five tasteless bites of unburnt fish out of two pieces. The french fries were inedible.

The waitress delivered the bill and we did complain (we had not seen her since my husband's lunch arrived). To be fair, the waitress did take my husband's dinner to the manager and they did take it off the bill. HOWEVER, we never saw the manager, as he/she/mystery person left our young waitress to handle the problem. The waitress told us Sarah's had never done fried foods before (begging the obvious question, why is this the "special"???). And it also does not explain the mystery of the burnt lobster rolls that were evident on the other customers' plates. Perhaps the chef is also a welder in his spare moments.

I believe the pies, breads, and baked goods are probably fine here (the blueberry pie looked very good, but I wasn't in the mood after all of this). My advice is AVOID anything else. As for my hungry husband, he opted for a lobster roll at Ed's Eats across the street followed by a blueberry ice cream cone at the General Store (delicious!).