“Excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Frog and Turtle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 58 Restaurants in Westbrook
Cuisines: French, American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Description: What is a gastro pub?” Gastronomy is the study of preparing and consuming food. A pub is a neighborhood spot for affordable food and good times. When you combine the two you get a neighborhood spot with a focus on food prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients.
West Buxton, Maine
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've been here twice recently for business dinners with VIP's. The restaurant is cozy, and the food is excellent. Well prepared, tasty and presented beautifully. On my most recent I had a small seasonal salad as an appetizer. It was huge! A large i'm sure could have been a full meal. I told myself to eat only 1/2 as I had a full meal coming...but couldn't help myself as it was so good. I ate it all. A dining companion had the soup, which again was a large portion. Could easily have fed two as an appetizer. Dinner was the chicken cordon bleu. Two large portions of lightly breaded chicken breast topped with ham and cheese. It was then placed on top of a decent size portion of winter vegetables in a garlic sauce. Yummy! My companion had the home made maple walnut ice cream for dessert. It came with a bubbling glass of dry ice in water which was an amazing presentation. Very fun. The ice cream itself was very good. The texture wasn't as creamy as some, but the maple walnut infusion was out of this world. The Frog and Turtle for me has two draw-backs. Both times I have eaten here the service is slow. Not just waiting for the food to cook which you expect, but slow at everything. They are very pleasant and knowledgeable. Perhaps they are just pushing the "dining" concept? And i'm not a fan of the live music. The location is too small, and the music was too loud. It made it impossible for people to converse once the person started to play at 8pm. So either dine early, or know you won't be able to easily chat.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

NY
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We went as a party of 5 on a week night, very busy place and no real waiting area, the bar and restaurant where full. It was worth the wait and a bit of dancing around the wait staff. I had a a chicken crepe with delicious seasonings, very filling. I would defiantly go again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bow, New Hampshire
“great food entertainement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

a good place to go for meals and check to see what the night's entertainment is. service is good, reservations are suggested. reasonably priced

Visited September 2013
Portland, Maine
“Everyone Enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

4 of us ate here on a busy Saturday night. The service was great, our server was attentive and we all felt as though she was genuinely vested in us enjoying our meal. The courses are served slowly, and it says so on the menu. This is not the place for a quick meal. Our drinks were good and we tried the cheese plate which was lovely and was served with some pickled veggies, strawberry coulis and some honey- it was a nice beginning. Our entrees were very good; we tried steak, chicken and fried fish. One complaint was that the coleslaw served with the fish was so heavy with raw onions that it was almost inedible. We tried two desserts; a margarita cheesecake and the chocolate teardrop of love. The chocolate dessert was incredible, worth going back for on its own.
Overall everyone enjoyed the meal. We'd been for brunch before which was outstanding and we all feel that we would return for dinner again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“Too Much Pressure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My friends and I had dinner here last night and our meals were very good. Unfortunately,I have two complaints. First, our waitress continued to pressure us to order more food than we wanted. She went so far as saying that the entrees take so long to prepare that we should order an appetizer to fill in. I began to feel uncomfortable as I repeatedly had to say "No". Second, I enjoy drinking iced tea. After I asked for a refill, the waitress informed me that they charge for every glass. Considering that the food is rather pricey, I was surprised by this policy. In fact, it is the only restaurant that I have been to in years that charges ($2) for each glass. I doubt that I will return to this restaurant. As another reviewer said, there are so many excellent restaurants in the Portland area, it is unnecessary to put up with these issues.

• Visited September 2013