“Thieving crooks” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Whale Beach B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Thieving crooks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

No one should contemplate doing business with these people as they are dishonest crooks. I booked a week at this place at an already outrageous $150 per night in order to attend a friend's 50th birthday. I paid 2 nights deposit Unfortunately I was struck down and hospitalized with a very serious illness - Dengue Fever. I was shocked to learn that despite my immediate timely and apologetic cancellation, they kept the 2 night deposit. I was even more shocked to learn recently that these dirty thieves managed to take another $500 off my Visa card with no authority from me whatsoever. These crooks are a discharged to the Australian Hospitality industry. will also be complaining to Visa and anyone else I can find.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Elaine1960255060, Owner at Whale Beach Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
This attack is totally unfair and incorrect. As you can see by our other reviews we are just a small business and are kind people who love sharing our part of the world with other travellers. Gordon has left a stream of abusive and intimidating messages by phone and email. Even the police have told him not to contact me further so I am surprised Trip advisor have allowed this review to be published.
Gordon booked via email from Singapore for 1 week in our Peak Season, January. The night before arrival he emailed to say he had a suspected virus and couldn't travel overnight. We assumed from this he would still be arriving and so couldn't relet the room. We often let the 3 bedroom property as a 'Holiday Home' over school hoildays so had enquiries for the whole property so couldn't because of his one room. He even offered to pay upfront by Amex but as we our machine doesn't accept Amex we said just pay $300 deposit. We actually forgot to take this but when he didn't arrive took a fee as our policy stipulates. When he didn't arrive at all we took a further fee as we thought he would have travel insurance.
Gordon is obviously angry that he didn't take out insurance and miscommunicated that he wouldn't be arriving at all but to be so malicious is incredibly unfair. I have refunded him all but 50% as our policies stipulate and said I will refund more when he takes down the insults and bitter complaints he has posted on every travel website he can find.
We had no idea his illness was severe and thought he would be contacting us to claim travel insurance for his no show. He has caused us incredible distress.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

i found my stay at Whale beach b&b fabulously adequate. A neat & tidy place to stay in paradise. We found it difficult to find accomodation in the area with our own ensuite & kitchen facillities. we walked down to a great pizza place on the corner one night & the next day enjoyed cooking own one bbq breakfast before borrowing the owners bikes & riding to the beach for a lovely swim. We had a lovely get away & would deffinitely recommend staying at Whale beach bed & breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this gorgeous B&B tucked away in North Avalon/ Whale Beach. We loved visiting the beaches, swimming and running around the headlands and even saw a whale! Loved the walk up to Barrenjoey lighthouse too!
Lovely to have a selection of 5 restaurants only a 3 minute walk away. We opted to have take away and sat around the log fire in the Lounge room. We went out for breakfast to a new cafe 2108 at Palm Beach, which was fantastic.
The owners were friendly and helpful but not intrusive atall. We looked around and this B&B offered good value in an area with some very expensive accommodation options. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Having read all the reviews on this site I would say I sit somewhere on the fence with my experience. Everything at Whale Beach B&B was nice, the host, the room, the location... but not exceptional, which is fine. The room we had was out the back in the garden apartment and was well renovated and comfortable. I have to say though that I felt a little like we were spying on the hosts whose living area is also back there. If it were my place (and I know it isn't), I'd pop some tall plants up to screen the living area. The other thing I'd add to the room would be extra towels for the beach (we did ask for extra and were provided with them) and water glasses in the room. Not a big complaint at all.
Elaine was ever friendly but as she wasn't always available to ask questions of (which is totally understandable) I felt that having a few helpful hints about the area in the room would have been useful, such as a map to the beach, what is walkable and what isn't, check out times etc. Overall, a pleasant little weekend away and the pizza joint down the road is worth checking out although you may need to make a booking on the weekends.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We are Sydney-siders who used a discount voucher to stay two nights at Whale Beach B&B. This is a stunningly beautiful part of Sydney and for couples wanting somewhere to stay locally, this fits the bill well. Lovely decor and well located to several beach. Clean, comfortable and friendly. We didn;t have breakfast there as there are so many fabulous cafes on the water in the area. For people who live in the inner-city, two days on the northern beaches was like being in a totally different world.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Whale Beach B & B! I knew I had made the right decision to stay there the moment I stepped foot in the door. Elaine and Ted made me feel comfortable and at home straight away. The B & B has such a lovely decor, which sets the mood for a relaxing holiday. I stayed in one of the upstairs rooms and was very happy with my room. It was clean, fresh, light and quiet with enough space for me to move around and set out my belongings the way I like. Whale Beach B & B is a perfect place to stay and I will continue to recommend it to others!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

What a find ! Stayed here the weekend for a wedding. Clean and comfy, and Elaine (the host) even offered to drop us at the wedding venue so we didnt have to walk in all our finery! (she said she was going that way anyway, lucky us) Reasonably priced, especially for the
area and close enough to walk to beach and to some local restaurants. Has everything you need for a casual weekend away. Quiet too.Thoroughly recommended!!

Room Tip: Did not see the other rooms but we were on the entrance level.