“Fantastic view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Whale Beach B&B and Inns
Seoul, South Korea
“Fantastic view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed at Jonah's for just one night with my wife (and without the baby!). Its has an absolutely stunning view of the northern beaches and the white walls from our room almost reminded us of Santorini. Dinner or lunch at the main restaurant is a must. I think its perfect for a short stay, maybe 1 or 2 nights although you may get bored if you stay longer given the lack of restaurants and small size of property. Would also advise taking a car to travel to the nearby beaches.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Last night my husband and I had our personal Christmas dinner at your restaurant. We usually go somewhere 'hatted' and it is sort of a little annual end of year gift to ourselves as a couple.

The last few years we have gone somewhere recommended and frankly it's been a bit of a disappointing experience. We have gone to one of those new places that has been reviewed well and everyone is raving about and yet when we went, it wasn't "all that" often because of the level of service and the fact that we are vegetarian. Well, last night that changed.

To be frank, we chose Jonahs mainly because we wouldn't be bothered going into the city. The last time we went to your restaurant was with friends and it was not a great experience ( no good vego option, waiting 30 minutes for a drink after seating, screaming children, slow service) so we didn't expect much. Let me tell you things have changed at Jonahs and congrats!

The food last night was inventive and my vegetarian option was just as carefully and creatively formed as any of the meat dishes I saw, the service was attentive and good natured but best of all was your very knowledgable German sommelier,Christian.

As someone who has studied perfume in France, listening to this man of passionate restraint talk of "ethereal, feminine wines with a daring dash of crushed glossy cherry" or "a paleolithic coarseness like the cave region of the terra that the vine rests in"- well I thought I was back in Paris- or in heaven. For the record, after a generously long discussion, we let him choose a fine German pinot for us. I don't drink much but those two glasses was perfection.

So, when I get a great fine dining food experience as a vegetarian especially, I'm going to give it a shout out. I have a big network. Keep up providing a great experience and whatever you do, keep that sommelier!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Jonahs mid September this year as part of our journey accross Australia.
This was an anniversary present from our son.
I can honestly say that it became the highlight of our time here.
We're back in freezing England now and but looking back at our photos soon warms us up with fond memories!!
From the warm greeting from the general manager, Mohan to his team of professionals made it so special for us, nothing was too much trouble for them, in particular a huge thankyou to the Restaurant Manager, Nick.What a breath of fresh air this chap is, old school pro,with charm, flare and knowledge....hard to find these days especially back here in the UK, an asset to your business for sure.
The food was outstanding, matched by an amazing wine list,detailed by the sommelier, a "walking wine encyclopedia"my wife called him!!
Once again, big thank you to the above mentioned, very recommend able hotel throughout, we look forward to meeting these characters again in the not too distant future.

Margaret and Peter Blythe,
London
UK

• Stayed September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

View and food was great, however the accommodation was very bad for what we paid . Mould on the ceiling in the shower, spa bath badly stained, dripping tap in hand basin and 2 ply toilet paper . The shutters were broken and badly needed painting, walls needed paint and floor polished. The restaurant was great, so I advise stay elsewhere and eat at Jonah's, it was our third stay at Jonah's and our last .

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere but visit for dinner in the restaurant
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMJonahs, General Manager at Jonah's, Whale Beach, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our award winning restaurant and views but sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your visit.

Guest feedback, both positive and negative is extremely important to us and allows management an opportunity to address any areas of concern and make improvements. We strive to make every guests stay at Jonah’s as memorable as possible.

In relation to your comments re the floor surface – Jonah’s maintenance team re oil / polish our timber floors every 3 months. It is an ongoing process trying to maintain our beautiful timber floors in pristine condition. An ongoing Maintenance programme is also in place for painting of walls, ceilings etc. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Thanks for your note re the plumbing issue in your room – we were unaware of the issue but can confirm that it has now been rectified.

I sincerely apologise that you did not leave Jonah’s satisfied and we hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

I do encourage you to contact me personally when/if you decide to visit us. I guarantee you that we will do everything we possibly can to ensure your experience is to your level of satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

Mohan Deheragoda
Email: generalmanager@jonah's.com.au
02 9974 5599
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Having stayed at this property several times over the last 13 years, I just called up to book again for when my parents come over to visit in January.
This place has been amazing and we have lots of very special memories here and always try to stay when my parents come to visit.
However on booking just now over the phone I was advised they now take a 50% deposit immediately on booking....seems very "scruffy" and not really what I would expect of a hotel of this caliber, happy to leave a credit card number in case of not showing up but to be made pre pay has left a slightly unpleasant taste for me and also raised enough concerns for me to come on here and now note lots of mixed reviews which would have been almost unheard of in past years......
Hoping my fears are unfounded and we have the same amazing time we usually do....will keep you posted

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMJonahs, General Manager at Jonah's, Whale Beach, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Kelly B,

Thank you for your constructive feedback in relation to deposits required for accommodation visits over weekends and peak periods.

We are a boutique hotel of only 11 rooms and any cancellation on a weekend or peak period impacts us substantially given that we are always generally fully booked during these periods. The practice of requesting a 50% deposit is widespread within Relais and Chateaux properties in the Australasian region and ensures that guests are careful to book the correct dates and if they do wish to cancel, to do so in a manner which allows us to re-book the room to those on our waiting list.

The previous method was not working successfully, so after careful consideration we chose to adopt this method. Please be assured that you still have the opportunity to cancel a reservation up to 30 days out with the deposit being fully refunded as per our policy.

We look forward to welcoming you and trust that you will enjoy your Jonah’s experience.

Regards,

Mohan Deheragoda
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Jonah's is what you make it. My wife and I made the most of our 1 night stay by arriving early and enjoying drinks on the terrace which boasts a million dollar view (or several million for that matter).

True the decor could be improved slightly, but at the end of the day there's nothing great company, a cool vibe and French champagne - all overlooking THAT view, can't quell. We were looking to recharge the batteries from a busy work schedule and we managed to achieve just that.

Jonah's is expensive, but you know that before you book so expectations are high.There were some highlights and lowlights. But we left with a positive view of the place with some improvements in mind.

We loved our stay. It was our first visit to Jonah's. We arrived early and decided to have a spot of lunch on the terrace and soak up the views and atmosphere which are both wow. A delightful spot to sip champagne on Sunday.

The only let down was the poor service on the terrace. Slow, inattentive and awkward. We had to get our own menus and flag down wait staff. The restaurant was very busy and several of the staff were clearly flustered and would rather have been elsewhere, and it reflected in their attitude. It was a little windy and the umbrellas were tipping over which was a little dangerous. Perhaps they should be permanently tied to the nearby rail as I'm sure it wasn't the first time this has happened?

That aside everything was wonderful. The room was open and spacious with a view to die for. The spa was a lovely place to relax and the bed was as comfy as you like. Oh, and great shower head too! We did have a slight problem with our room door but I'm sure that'll be fixed.

Dinner in the restaurant was memorable. Yanni our waiter was very helpful and attentive and recommended the Wagyu steak which was as good as I have EVER had (big call but one I will stand by).
The restaurant manager whose name slipped my mind (Russian gentleman) was also very hospitable and knowledgeable with wines and suggested a fabulous dessert wine.
Thank you to Susanne at reception and the hotel manager.

Jonah's is expensive. Whether it is good value is up for debate. Throw in (a fabulous romantic) dinner and a few drinks you're up for an expensive night away, but it's in a league of its own in terms of its dramatic location and proximity to Sydney. With a day up our sleeve we slowly crept back home to suburban Sydney with a long swim at beautiful Palm beach for the day which made our stay feel like a whole weekend. We enjoyed it and We'll be back someday soon..

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are a step away from the terrace and facilities.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary. Wet rainy cold worst weather. Had a great time. Downside was a wedding was taking up one room but comfy bar with fire made up for it. Service is 5 stars. Views across the bays are outstanding. Loved the degustation on the sunday night. The scented aromatherapy makes a relaxing stay. In fact they made it that bit more special. We got a scented mist to spray on pillows and a huge candle to take home. Breakfast in the sun was a highlight watching whales through binoculars provided by hotel. Its not cheap but its worth it. Lunch recommendation at the boathouse was spot on. Really friendly staff. A friend had a wedding there and they loved it too. We will go back again but in 5 years its not somewhere I can afford to go every weekend!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Jonah's, Whale Beach? Share your experiences!