“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Sanford, Maine
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Billy's was a nice stop after a day of riding along the coast. Definitely a busy place, not somewhere i would go to enjoy a meal and good conversation. Not overly friendly staff, but again, it is very busy so I am sure it is just because they are so rushed. Food was good, a bit pricey, but its all part of vacationing. As a local, I would not visit it regularly as I do other eateries. I will say that Billy's is an important and appreciated part of the Maine experience for travelers.

Visited April 2013

76% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We came back from Belgrade Lake Maine and decided to stop and get a bite to eat. The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport was not open for the season yet so we went to Billys. I was with two of my friends and not one of us had a decent meal. I do not see what all the fuss is about. I also felt that this restaurant is way overated. We should have stopped at the Maine diner for a sure bet.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, Massachusetts
“LOVE THE CHOWDER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have been going to Billy's Chowder House since "Billy" opened it!!! Billy had the absolute best fish chowder I have ever tasted!...those were the days!! Today, Billy's Chowder House has the best clam chowder in the area!...IF you like the thin broth chowder, as I do!...served with a few whole bellied clams, full of chopped clams and perfectly cooked potatoes...THE VERY BEST!!

I visit Ogunquit twice a year for almost a week each time, and also, another five times a year for 2 to 4 days each trip (to see all Ogunquit Playhouse shows). I eat at Billy's every time I am in Maine, and sometimes 2 or 3 times a visit. All that to say, imagine my surprise when they were running a "special" that offered two beer glasses for FREE with their new logo on it, if your bill (sub total) was $40.00....and my bill was $39.97...and the waitress said I did NOT qualify for the two glasses. I laughed and in a very joking and friendly manner asked her to send the manager over. The manager indeed showed up at the table within a few minutes and reiterated that I was not eligible for the two free glasses, and after I jokingly badgered him in an attempt to win him over, I failed and he walked away. Soooooo, I ordered a clam chowder to go and got my two glasses (which, in a way, you could say I paid $4.99 for them.....the price of the chowder). All that to say,...either the manager (a Verano son?) was a man of his word in that the bill tab HAD TO BE $40.00 or over in order to get the free glasses OR I was not young or attractive enough!!!

More importantly, I totally enjoy visiting Billy's Chowder House with my friend, and sitting in the bar area, as it is so light and full of life, and looking out at the marshes is so peaceful! As stated earlier, their clam chowder is wonderful! My friend loves their steamers! We both enjoy their fried scallops, shrimp, whole bellied clams....and their fries are good. My friend loves their bloody Mary's and I have had some good (and not so good) pomegranate martini's, BUT the martini's are served in an extremely SMALL martini glass!

All in all, I love Billy's Chowder House, the food, the great wait staff, and even the "stingy" manager!!! I will be back...actually the beginning of June for a few days!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Meriden, Connecticut
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Have been a patron of Billy's since before the Varano family took it over. They have done a great job at preserving the integrity, and atmosphere of the place. The last few years I have had the great pleasure of being in the service of a lovely waitress named Miranda. God bless her. Always friendly, and always has a welcoming smile that lights up the room. Feels like home it does. Oh, and the foods really good too :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lyman, Maine
“Anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had a great dinner at Billy's Chowder House, our waitress Nikki was very accommodating and the new front end manager Christin was very courteous, we were seated right away. Everyone that was working at the restaurant was very kind. It is relaxing sitting,enjoying a glass of wine and watching the wildlife play in the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge. It was a perfect anniversary dinner and the prices were reasonable! Great atmosphere! Great people!

• Visited April 2013