“Great for Easter with family in the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Mist Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
Sea Mist Resort Motel
733 Post Road, U.S. Route One at 9B, Wells, ME   |
Ranked #17 of 27 hotels in Wells
Western Maine
“Great for Easter with family in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I grew up in Southern Maine but have moved far away. With a new 10 month old baby, staying with family for Easter seemed like an awful idea, so when I saw Sea Mist had a 3 night for $99 special, we reserved a room. We had a room with one queen bed and a sleep sofa, figuring that would give us more room for our 10 month old daughter's pack and play and for her to play. I asked for an extra thorough vacuuming since my daughter likes to put anything she finds on the floor in her mouth. The reservationist said that would be no problem and put a note on our reservation for me. They originally planned for us to have a second floor room, figuring it might be quieter for the baby. When we got our minivan loaded and saw how much stuff you need when traveling with a baby, I called and asked if we could have a first floor room instead. They had one available and were able to switch us easily. When we checked in, the desk clerk (Brittany, who was very nice) said that since they'd moved our room on short notice, they didn't get a chance to be as thorough with the vacuuming (just a "regular" job). I was Ok with that, and when we arrived in our room it was spotless anyway! No carpet lint for the baby to eat! :)

The room was small, like a regular motel room. In one corner was a small kitchenette with cabinets, a small fridge (no freezer section), and a microwave and sink. A regular toaster was under the cabinet. This was great for preparing snacks and bottles for our daughter, and gave us space to wash and dry bottles and dishes without using the bathroom sink.

The bathroom was tiny but very clean. There was a repaired spot on the ceiling above the shower that wasn't very pretty, but there were no current leaks (I'm guessing the tub or toilet from upstairs leaked previously.) There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure. My only complaint is that the fan in the shower section sounded like a freight train. We didn't use it because it was so loud.

We had to rearrange the furniture a bit to make a quiet corner for the baby to sleep (we pulled the sofa bed away from the wall and put the pack and play in the corner with the sofa in front of it. This allowed us to put a large sheet around the pack and play to give our daughter her own space. (She won't sleep if she can see us. I guess we're too exciting!) We joked that it was the baby tent.

The bed was very firm. If I stay again, I'll bring an egg crate topper for the mattress. I'm a curvy girl and my hips didn't like the firm bed. The sheets were clean and the blankets were cozy. The pillows were a bit flat but we always bring our own pillows so we didn't mind. If we didn't have our own pillows, I would have taken the extras for the sofa bed to use as well.

There must be good insulation in the walls because we know there were two rambunctious little children next door and we didn't hear them a bit, and I'm glad that when my daughter was fussy she wasn't bothering anyone next to us.

We enjoyed the free wifi, though it was a bit slow. I also really loved the pool and hot tub. The pool and the pool room were just the right temperature. My daughter even enjoyed a "swim" and wasn't all shivery! The swing set was right outside our room and my daughter loved swinging while her daddy packed up the car.

This was our first "vacation" with the baby, so we probably packed way too much stuff, and found the room to be crowded. For 3 nights it was fine, but we wouldn't want to stay longer than that. It was a pain, personally, to be quiet while the baby was asleep so early. A friend with a daughter the same age who traveled elsewhere rolled her daughter's pack and play into the bathroom in the early evening so she and her husband could move about and have lights on, but the bathroom at Sea Mist was so tiny her pack and play wouldn't have fit. I suppose I could have tucked her in in the bathtub, but that seemed like a bad idea.

The heater was very effective. The room was roasting hot when we arrived, so we turned it down to "Fan" and kept it there most of the weekend. We just turned the heat on in the morning when it was a bit chilly, or when we came back from the pool and were chilly from the walk.

We would totally stay here again. Maybe next time we can convince Grandma to take the baby so we can sleep. We haven't slept all night in 10 months. We're tired. We'd also like to try a 1 bedroom suite so we can have a separate sleeping space from the baby. They only have 2 suites, though, so they're hard to get.

Room Tip: Rooms with lower room numbers (100, 102, etc.) are farther from route 1. Off season Rt. 1 is fine...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is in a great location, the rooms were older, so were the bedding and fixtures. However, they allowed dogs and that's all I cared about. We had very good lobsters and clams around town and up at kennebunk. Our dog had awesome beach time at wells beach in the morning and after 6. I wished they had a hose outside to wash the sand off the dog but that was the only complain.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Maine, without making reservations anywhere. The Sea Mist was in a convenient location, and the rates were very affordable. I was impressed by the friendliness of the check-in clerk. Even though they had been completely full the night before due to the holiday weekend, she was able to get us into our room earlier than the normal 4pm check-in time. We opted for one of the renovated rooms, and found everything clean and pleasant. I appreciated having a kitchenette with real plates and glasses and silverware (not the plastic, chintzy stuff that most motel kitchenettes are stocked with.)

With only one night in town, we didn't have time to take advantage of everything, but the pool and hot tub were well-kept. I liked that they had changing rooms so you didn't have to run back to the room dripping wet if you didn't want to. There was a beautiful sunset that evening, and the location is close enough to the ocean that you get a breath of salty, fresh air when you're outside. My only complaint was, since we were in the end room near the outside stairwell, we could clearly hear footsteps going up and down throughout the evening. All in all, though, a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room- $10 more per night but worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Unfortunately we were only passing through for 1 night or we would have happily stayed longer. Rooms were well equipped with kitchenette. Not only regular towels but spares for the pool as well and even facecloths for removing makeup.

Chicopee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We did the $99/ 3 night special with another couple in October. Since this was a quick, "get away" for all of us my husband and I were expecting a so-so, cramped room, having read some reviews. We all were very surprized at what we saw. This room looked like it had been just updated- very new kitchenette with new dishes and utensils, cute bistro set, comfortable sitting couch area, nice bath linens, and new bathroom. They even gave us an adjoining room.
If you are expecting the Hilton or Sheriton/ with plush bathrobes, this not for you, but if you are looking for an exceptionally clean, comfortable room, at a steal of a price--book the Sea Mist. We will return.
Also every one was so nice.

Macon, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

DH and I stayed at the Sea Mist while on vacation in Maine. We just got back last week. Our room was very nice. It was newly renovated; fresh paint and new cabinetry. We had a small kitchenette area with microwave and fridg. We were pleasantly surprised as I had read some negative posts about the Motel before our trip. DH had already made the reservations, though, so we decided to give it a try. We're glad we did.

Trussville, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed one night at the Sea Mist Resort Motel as part of a two-week Maine/Canada trip. We chose this place at random as it was getting late and we wanted to see some sights around the area before dark. The place was pretty vacant looking since it was the day after Labor Day and we felt we'd have been given a choice of good rooms. The clerk gave us two rooms in a building right next to Highway 1. We were worried they may be noisy, but when we walked up to the rooms, the first thing I noticed was a very skunky smell along the walkway and in the room. It also had a faint smoky odor even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. We opened all the windows to hopefully air out the place, then went out to get dinner and supplies and explore the area a little before dark. When we returned, there was still a distinct skunky smell, but we turned on the air-conditioner (to drown out the road noise) and it helped slightly. The beds were not very comfortable and the place was extremely dated and in much need of a facelift. For the price we were charged, I would have expected much better quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sea Mist Resort Motel? Share your experiences!