“Great Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of USA Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
USA Inn
Save Saved
You added USA Inn to your Saves list
1017 Post Road, Wells, ME 04090   |
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Wells
Warkworth, Ontario, Canada
“Great Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed one night in the Wells Inn, and were really impressed with the service, room, and most of all the reasonable price. We had stayed in other hotels much more expensive that were not nearly as good. I would recommend this Inn any time.

Janet A.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We've often stayed here and have never had a negative experience. It is obvious the staff takes pride in meeting the needs of their clientele to ensure a pleasant stay. The room was clean and comfortable and most importantly, quiet. So glad they've upgraded and included a coffee maker! As many have stated previously, its location is convenient and is truly an exceptional value. We'll stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We decided to take an impromptu trip to Maine for Labor Day weekend. Given the last-minute nature of the visit, I was worried that we would end up someplace unsavory. I shouldn't have worried-- we found the USA Inn and it was a wonderful experience.

Booking the room was easy, and the older gentleman on the phone was charming and a pleasure to deal with. We saw him several times over the weekend and he always had a smile and a wave for us.

Our room was very clean and tidy. Very comfortable new beds, new flat-screen TV, a good-sized fridge and a microwave. Bathroom was sparkling clean and had great hot water and water pressure.

The best part was how conveniently located it is. One mile to Wells Beach, which was an easy walk for us but you could also easily drive or take the trolley. There are great restaurants very close by (we hit Mike's Clam Shack and Congdon's Doughnuts) and the grocery store, pharmacy and McDonald's are within walking distance.

The only minor drawbacks are that the location is not very scenic being located directly on Rt. 1 which is pretty noisy, and that there is no pool. Not a big deal for us.

Rates were reasonable given the holiday weekend, but their non-holiday rates are extremely cheap.

We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2012
Ocala, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here around 10 years ago, and I remember liking it, which is why we came back. Things have changed.

Rather than writing my opinion, I will try to keep it to facts. We stayed 3 nights.

1. Our room was on the first floor, but if looking at it from the front of the motel, it is the basement. The room was extremely damp. It smelled like a basement. It smelled very moldy and musty. We complained and asked for another room. The first time we complained, we were told to come back and complain tomorrow when the owner was in. They gave us something to help with the smell(it didn't)..which obviously meant we had to just deal with it another night. I complained the next day to the owner and asked to be switched to another room. She said there were no more vacancies(even though the sign out front stated "Vacancy") and said that the first floor rooms are like that. Basically, tough luck! I'll give this to her, she was very pleasant when she told me there was nothing that could be done to make my stay more pleasant!

2. The ceilings/floors are thin. I could hear every single step the people above me took. At one point while laying in bed, I was sure they were about to fall through the ceiling onto me. When I complained about this, the owner said, "Just be glad there are only two people in that room, that is why we put you, a party of 3, on the first floor".

3. The bathroom door handle didn't work, and the door stuck. This was probably due to swelling from the extreme moisture in the room. We hung towels up in the bathroom to dry on day one, they were still wet on day three.

4. The phone didn't work at all. No dial tone. This was okay with me, except I had to walk to the office with all of my complaints. My daughter had fun pretending it was a real working phone, she kept calling her pretend girlfriend.

5. The beds were hard, not just firm(and as damp as the room). This was okay, nothing a little ambien at night and advil in the morning can't fix. Although, if you want a nice comfortable, drugless night sleep, go elsewhere.

6. There were bugs in the room, but they weren't poisonous so I guess its okay. We killed them whenever we found them. It was expected considering we were in the basement and it was a minor concern considering how bad everything else was.

7. The shower frequently changed temperature. Set the temperature you want and get ready for an adventure! It would go from too hot, to too cold, to just right and back to too cold again. No need for coffee after that shower!

8. The television remote stopped working. This was an easy fix for the owner, and she was more than happy to help! Solution, new remote!

9. The room had verticle blinds, and the slat from each end was missing. No curtains. Outside each room is a wall sconce and lets just say there was no need for a night light for my daughter. The sconce outside provided plenty of light in the room. Also, be careful where you stand while changing, there isn't much privacy on the edges of the blinds!

10. The amentities provided are bottom of the barrel. The towels are ridiculously small and thin. They only provided three. The soap was horrible. The shampoo/conditioner provided is in ketchup-style packets and they can't be opened with wet hands(like if you are in the shower!). We had to ask for more ketchup-style shampoo packets because they only leave enough for one night and the next day they were not replenished by housekeeping.

I think that is it. I probably would not have written this review if only the owner, or anyone else working there cared that we weren't happy. OPINION: They seemed to not care because whether we liked it or not, people would still come and fill their motel. Next time I will definitely go somewhere else, maybe a campground. At least then I will expect the damp bed, hard sleeping surface and bugs...but I wouldn't have to worry about the people above me.

If you absolutely must stay here, don't let them put you in the basement. Then again, the owner told me that if you have more than two people you will automatically be assigned to the first floor(basement) because of the thin floors and ceilings. If you have more than two people, go somewhere else. I actually think the owner would prefer that as, well based on what she told me.

I paid around $140/night. This wouldn't have been acceptable at $50/night. The irony was the wifi password, "bestvalue1". Ha.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
USAINN, Owner at USA Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
This "review" is a vindictive attempt to discredit the property because the writer wanted to be in an upper level room with his child, which we do not allow, and we refused. He made a big fuss and before he checked in to his room, he was given the opportunity to cancel his reservation without penalty. He chose to stay. He never told us of any of the complaints that he wrote about in this review. If the complaints included in this review had merit, they would have been posted before on other reviews. The room that he refers to is an end room and is one of the most requested at the property. Many of the excellent reviews on this site were written by guests who occupied the same room.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Rooms were nice ...would have been nice to have a pool ...good value for the money.....sometimes hard to get out onto rd with location..overall enjoyed our stay...would stay there again.....staff.were friendly..if u have a hard time walking ask for bottom floor ...found it hard to go up two flights of stairs with luggage

• Stayed August 2012
Mansfield Center, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Friends and I have been going to this hotel since 2007 and let me say I wish i went before 2007 and knew about this place I love this Hotel . Its the best value in Wells Maine. The Rooms are just the right size. The Beds are very nice, they have even gotten better since they changed them for this year 2012. They Have New Flat screen Tvs that are on on the wall. Very nice upgrade from that the old tvs they had before. The Owners are very very nice. out of all the years i have gone there i have never had a problem reserving a room. One Of the Owners Debbie always answers my e-mails and reservation requests soon after i send one in. Doesnt wait like 2 or 3 days like national chain hotels or some other hotels do. Another thing i love about this hotel is the rates . Between 40 and 110 dollars a night. 10 in the peak of the summer. 110 might sound alot but its not compared to what some of these other places charge. some charge like 250 to 300 a night. like the Hampton Inn down the street. 289 a night when USA INN is $80-$110 anight. Now I know you get a swiming pool and bigger rooms and free brekfest and more accodomations then USA INN but its not really a big deal for some people like my self. If I want a pool i can go a mile down the road from the hotel and the pool is called the atlantic Ocean LOL. Plus some of the other hotels like Hampton Inn dont have chairs putside of your room. In fact your room is inside the hotel , meaning when you exit your room your still indoors. USa inn your outside and it has 2 chairs where you can sit and enjoy the nice clean Maine Air. Thats another thing i love about the hotel. And 1 final note. The Staff there. Very Friendly. From the Owners to the Housekeeping girls. Very Friendly. I have been to coprate hotels where the maids just look at you and smile and dont say a word. These maids talk smile and make you feel like your at home away from home. Including Debbie and the rest of the Staff.

Room Tip: ask For room on thop floor facing route 1. you get a nice breeze from the campground across the stre...