We stayed here around 10 years ago, and I remember liking it, which is why we came back. Things have changed.
Rather than writing my opinion, I will try to keep it to facts. We stayed 3 nights.
1. Our room was on the first floor, but if looking at it from the front of the motel, it is the basement. The room was extremely damp. It smelled like a basement. It smelled very moldy and musty. We complained and asked for another room. The first time we complained, we were told to come back and complain tomorrow when the owner was in. They gave us something to help with the smell(it didn't)..which obviously meant we had to just deal with it another night. I complained the next day to the owner and asked to be switched to another room. She said there were no more vacancies(even though the sign out front stated "Vacancy") and said that the first floor rooms are like that. Basically, tough luck! I'll give this to her, she was very pleasant when she told me there was nothing that could be done to make my stay more pleasant!
2. The ceilings/floors are thin. I could hear every single step the people above me took. At one point while laying in bed, I was sure they were about to fall through the ceiling onto me. When I complained about this, the owner said, "Just be glad there are only two people in that room, that is why we put you, a party of 3, on the first floor".
3. The bathroom door handle didn't work, and the door stuck. This was probably due to swelling from the extreme moisture in the room. We hung towels up in the bathroom to dry on day one, they were still wet on day three.
4. The phone didn't work at all. No dial tone. This was okay with me, except I had to walk to the office with all of my complaints. My daughter had fun pretending it was a real working phone, she kept calling her pretend girlfriend.
5. The beds were hard, not just firm(and as damp as the room). This was okay, nothing a little ambien at night and advil in the morning can't fix. Although, if you want a nice comfortable, drugless night sleep, go elsewhere.
6. There were bugs in the room, but they weren't poisonous so I guess its okay. We killed them whenever we found them. It was expected considering we were in the basement and it was a minor concern considering how bad everything else was.
7. The shower frequently changed temperature. Set the temperature you want and get ready for an adventure! It would go from too hot, to too cold, to just right and back to too cold again. No need for coffee after that shower!
8. The television remote stopped working. This was an easy fix for the owner, and she was more than happy to help! Solution, new remote!
9. The room had verticle blinds, and the slat from each end was missing. No curtains. Outside each room is a wall sconce and lets just say there was no need for a night light for my daughter. The sconce outside provided plenty of light in the room. Also, be careful where you stand while changing, there isn't much privacy on the edges of the blinds!
10. The amentities provided are bottom of the barrel. The towels are ridiculously small and thin. They only provided three. The soap was horrible. The shampoo/conditioner provided is in ketchup-style packets and they can't be opened with wet hands(like if you are in the shower!). We had to ask for more ketchup-style shampoo packets because they only leave enough for one night and the next day they were not replenished by housekeeping.
I think that is it. I probably would not have written this review if only the owner, or anyone else working there cared that we weren't happy. OPINION: They seemed to not care because whether we liked it or not, people would still come and fill their motel. Next time I will definitely go somewhere else, maybe a campground. At least then I will expect the damp bed, hard sleeping surface and bugs...but I wouldn't have to worry about the people above me.
If you absolutely must stay here, don't let them put you in the basement. Then again, the owner told me that if you have more than two people you will automatically be assigned to the first floor(basement) because of the thin floors and ceilings. If you have more than two people, go somewhere else. I actually think the owner would prefer that as, well based on what she told me.
I paid around $140/night. This wouldn't have been acceptable at $50/night. The irony was the wifi password, "bestvalue1". Ha.
- Also Known As:
- Usa Hotel Wells
- Usa Motel Wells
- USA Inn Wells, Maine