“Stay at your own risk!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of USA Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
USA Inn
You added USA Inn to your Saves list
1017 Post Road, Wells, ME 04090   |
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Wells
Ocala, Florida, United States
“Stay at your own risk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here around 10 years ago, and I remember liking it, which is why we came back. Things have changed.

Rather than writing my opinion, I will try to keep it to facts. We stayed 3 nights.

1. Our room was on the first floor, but if looking at it from the front of the motel, it is the basement. The room was extremely damp. It smelled like a basement. It smelled very moldy and musty. We complained and asked for another room. The first time we complained, we were told to come back and complain tomorrow when the owner was in. They gave us something to help with the smell(it didn't)..which obviously meant we had to just deal with it another night. I complained the next day to the owner and asked to be switched to another room. She said there were no more vacancies(even though the sign out front stated "Vacancy") and said that the first floor rooms are like that. Basically, tough luck! I'll give this to her, she was very pleasant when she told me there was nothing that could be done to make my stay more pleasant!

2. The ceilings/floors are thin. I could hear every single step the people above me took. At one point while laying in bed, I was sure they were about to fall through the ceiling onto me. When I complained about this, the owner said, "Just be glad there are only two people in that room, that is why we put you, a party of 3, on the first floor".

3. The bathroom door handle didn't work, and the door stuck. This was probably due to swelling from the extreme moisture in the room. We hung towels up in the bathroom to dry on day one, they were still wet on day three.

4. The phone didn't work at all. No dial tone. This was okay with me, except I had to walk to the office with all of my complaints. My daughter had fun pretending it was a real working phone, she kept calling her pretend girlfriend.

5. The beds were hard, not just firm(and as damp as the room). This was okay, nothing a little ambien at night and advil in the morning can't fix. Although, if you want a nice comfortable, drugless night sleep, go elsewhere.

6. There were bugs in the room, but they weren't poisonous so I guess its okay. We killed them whenever we found them. It was expected considering we were in the basement and it was a minor concern considering how bad everything else was.

7. The shower frequently changed temperature. Set the temperature you want and get ready for an adventure! It would go from too hot, to too cold, to just right and back to too cold again. No need for coffee after that shower!

8. The television remote stopped working. This was an easy fix for the owner, and she was more than happy to help! Solution, new remote!

9. The room had verticle blinds, and the slat from each end was missing. No curtains. Outside each room is a wall sconce and lets just say there was no need for a night light for my daughter. The sconce outside provided plenty of light in the room. Also, be careful where you stand while changing, there isn't much privacy on the edges of the blinds!

10. The amentities provided are bottom of the barrel. The towels are ridiculously small and thin. They only provided three. The soap was horrible. The shampoo/conditioner provided is in ketchup-style packets and they can't be opened with wet hands(like if you are in the shower!). We had to ask for more ketchup-style shampoo packets because they only leave enough for one night and the next day they were not replenished by housekeeping.

I think that is it. I probably would not have written this review if only the owner, or anyone else working there cared that we weren't happy. OPINION: They seemed to not care because whether we liked it or not, people would still come and fill their motel. Next time I will definitely go somewhere else, maybe a campground. At least then I will expect the damp bed, hard sleeping surface and bugs...but I wouldn't have to worry about the people above me.

If you absolutely must stay here, don't let them put you in the basement. Then again, the owner told me that if you have more than two people you will automatically be assigned to the first floor(basement) because of the thin floors and ceilings. If you have more than two people, go somewhere else. I actually think the owner would prefer that as, well based on what she told me.

I paid around $140/night. This wouldn't have been acceptable at $50/night. The irony was the wifi password, "bestvalue1". Ha.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
USAINN, Owner at USA Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
This "review" is a vindictive attempt to discredit the property because the writer wanted to be in an upper level room with his child, which we do not allow, and we refused. He made a big fuss and before he checked in to his room, he was given the opportunity to cancel his reservation without penalty. He chose to stay. He never told us of any of the complaints that he wrote about in this review. If the complaints included in this review had merit, they would have been posted before on other reviews. The room that he refers to is an end room and is one of the most requested at the property. Many of the excellent reviews on this site were written by guests who occupied the same room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Rooms were nice ...would have been nice to have a pool ...good value for the money.....sometimes hard to get out onto rd with location..overall enjoyed our stay...would stay there again.....staff.were friendly..if u have a hard time walking ask for bottom floor ...found it hard to go up two flights of stairs with luggage

• Stayed August 2012
Mansfield Center, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Friends and I have been going to this hotel since 2007 and let me say I wish i went before 2007 and knew about this place I love this Hotel . Its the best value in Wells Maine. The Rooms are just the right size. The Beds are very nice, they have even gotten better since they changed them for this year 2012. They Have New Flat screen Tvs that are on on the wall. Very nice upgrade from that the old tvs they had before. The Owners are very very nice. out of all the years i have gone there i have never had a problem reserving a room. One Of the Owners Debbie always answers my e-mails and reservation requests soon after i send one in. Doesnt wait like 2 or 3 days like national chain hotels or some other hotels do. Another thing i love about this hotel is the rates . Between 40 and 110 dollars a night. 10 in the peak of the summer. 110 might sound alot but its not compared to what some of these other places charge. some charge like 250 to 300 a night. like the Hampton Inn down the street. 289 a night when USA INN is $80-$110 anight. Now I know you get a swiming pool and bigger rooms and free brekfest and more accodomations then USA INN but its not really a big deal for some people like my self. If I want a pool i can go a mile down the road from the hotel and the pool is called the atlantic Ocean LOL. Plus some of the other hotels like Hampton Inn dont have chairs putside of your room. In fact your room is inside the hotel , meaning when you exit your room your still indoors. USa inn your outside and it has 2 chairs where you can sit and enjoy the nice clean Maine Air. Thats another thing i love about the hotel. And 1 final note. The Staff there. Very Friendly. From the Owners to the Housekeeping girls. Very Friendly. I have been to coprate hotels where the maids just look at you and smile and dont say a word. These maids talk smile and make you feel like your at home away from home. Including Debbie and the rest of the Staff.

Room Tip: ask For room on thop floor facing route 1. you get a nice breeze from the campground across the stre...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New Hampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was a pleasant stay with clean rooms and pleasant help.would stay there again.the room had every thing that you would need.The grounds are well kept.Had no problem with any noise from other people.Has nice sitting area outside room, which is covered.Good place to go anytime.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Grayslake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

One of the least expensive we could find in the area a very short drive from the beach, this motel was easy to get in and out of. The room was comfortable and clean though smelled strongly of room deoderizer when we first entered. Their was a large grocery store very nearby which was helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

For the record, we did stay here about 14 years ago and were ok with the place. Not this week. Long story short, we checked in, got back in the car and went to Ogunquit to find a vacancy. Woman and older man at the desk were nice enough, but when we opened the room door, it reeked of stale cigarette smoke and a damp, moldy smell; and it was hot, no A/C on. It just smelled very unclean. My teenagers didn't even want to sit on the beds. Within a few minutes, I knew I'd be getting a migraine from the cigarette smoke and mold smell. Decided to walk outside for air, there was a group of men smoking cigars outside directly below our room. Walked out front, there was an old couple in the breezeway smoking away. Gross. When we did find another hotel about an hour later, my husband drove back to get our belongings and check out - we figured we'd take to loss rather than ruin our vacation staying at the USA Inn. We were well aware of the cancellation policy and he did not ask or expect a refund for the night. However, when my husband explained the odors and my migraines as the need to go elsewhere, all that was said by the older gentlemen was "fine, but I can't refund your first night deposit". Wow. Thanks for the concern for your guests and condition of your motel - keep my money you miserable old grump. Our stay in Ogunquit was twice the price and worth every single penny.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
USAINN, Owner at USA Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
It would be great if no one smoked, but they do. The rest of us have to deal with it like adults.
We do allow smoking outside the rooms, not inside. No one has smoked in our rooms for years as we assess a $200 cleaning charge and post it in the rooms.
This guest, obviously bothered by people smoking outside apparently decided to go elsewhere. That is fine, but a simpler solution would have been to explain her concern to the front desk. She would have been offered the opportunity to move to a room further away from the smokers. That would have been the adult course of action.
Instead, she sent her husband to the front desk, hours after they checked in. He said that they were leaving because his wife was not feeling well, never addressing the real issue.
She made no attempt to have us resolve the problem in a mature manner.
We can always resolve these types of minor issues, given the opportunity.
It is much easier to make unsubstantiated complaints than it is to resolve problems as an adult.
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife an I stayed at this hotel in july 2012 three day stay. On a family reccomendation let me say the price was right $95.00 a night rooms were clean, it was quiet, mainly older folks so that was fine, the owners werent friendly or unfriendly they left us alone, were quiet again fine maid service very good our room was done early everyday, the only detractions its on a very busy street RT 1 and close to the road noisy, not very scenic mini golf across the street, a mcdonalds, and a rv camp ground, no pool thats ok with us but it would be a minus if we had our grand children with us, 9/10ths mile from the beach nice walk many resturants to choose from. Also the beds firm but comfortable. Bring your own pillows theres to soft,

Room Tip: The standard room has two full beds the deluxe has one queen, hence $20.00 diffrence.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to USA Inn? Share your experiences!