“French Canadians' Little Secret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bellevue By The Sea

Bellevue By The Sea
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wells
Bellevue By The Sea
You added Bellevue By The Sea to your Saves list
376 Mile Road, Wells, ME 04090   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Wells
Richmond, Virginia
“French Canadians' Little Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was shocked when I was able to book a place here in June for an August visit for a single night. I thought maybe it was too good to be true, but when we arrived, we were very impressed. The room was exactly as pictured (I spent a good deal of time reading about the rooms and looking at pictures on the website to try to find a room that best met our needs and our tastes. I highly recommend spending the time on the website because our room was exactly as promised and as pictured and it sounds like these are individually owned and decorated units. We stayed in room 121, which had a great parking spot, and the right amount of space for two adults and two kids). The room was very clean (especially for a beach property!) and had a kitchenette stocked with dishes, dish towels and rags, silverware and Keurig). The beach was a VERY short walk away and the store next to the property opens at 6am for breakfast goodies and coffee. We didn't get a chance to swim in the pool but I did see an electric handicapped chair to allow access into the water-- that's something I have NEVER seen at a rental property before!
I'm not sure the room would have been comfortable for more than one or two nights with our family of four, but we loved being there overnight. The downside to staying here one night was check out time is an early 10am and they expect you out of the room and the parking space by then (limited morning time on the beach!). There seemed to be a lot of French Canadians staying here and maybe this place is advertised more there than here in the US. I had to dig online to find it. But it really is a great little place to stay right near the beach.
We had never been to Wells Beach before and, being used to the wide North Carolina beaches, were a little surprised to find the entire beach near the hotel disappeared underwater at high tide (we actually had to cut through a neighboring hotel to make our way back to Bellevue because the water cut us off).
Overall, do your research and this is an amazing deal on a beach place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Albany, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our first trip to Maine, and the beaches were nice but this place was a joke! We had no problems checking in but the room left a lot to be desired. The carpet was gross, old and dirty. The bathroom overall was not very clean and was in need of updating. There was hair in the shower and lots of mildew. The table was never cleaned fromt eh people before us and was full of crumbs. 2 of the lamps in the room did not work and the matresses were very very old and uncomfortable. We were there for 4 days and they never cleaned the rooms. I had to ask for towels and toilet paper. The best was that I found a huge blood stain on the matress pad, I could see it through the sheet. When I asked for it to be changed the girl came into our room and gave me an attitude about it. Saying that the sheets were clean and had been changed, I told her I didn't care I wanted new clean sheets and matress pad. Her response was we might not have any "clean" ones. Really no clean sheets at a resort? She did changed the sheets but wasn't very polite about it. Besides the fact that you could walk right down to the ocean, this place was gross and a disapointment. I would not ever stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dedham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The location is great, easy to find and very short walk to the beach. The room and customer service was very disappointing. On a 90 degree day the ac was not on or working, the circuit board had tripped. The tub did not drain and the toilet would not stop running without manually fixing each time. The only thing the front desk did was give us a bottle of draino. We had to do it ourselves, no one offered to help. The sound and picture on the tv kept getting out. There were no sheets and blankets for the pullout bed. I found them rolled up in a ball on the floor so I had to request clean ones. The next day the room was not cleaned. The shower that was backed up was not cleaned, no trash taken out, no bed made, and the floor not vacuumed. No one ever checked in on us even though they were aware of all the issues. We were never given information on the area, pool, internet, etc by the front desk and they were not helpful when we asked about local restaurants. A letter a sent to management after our stay was responded to only with excuses, never an apology or offer to make it right. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
North Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Bellevue By the Sea has been a place I have vacationed at many times throughout my life childhood til now. The rooms are always clean and well kept. We found a little condo that was absolutely perfect with a built in fireplace and living room with pull out couch bed. Also, the master bedroom is disconnected from that portion leaving you with a feeling of privacy and romance. I have stayed there many many times and the rooms range in size and style but they definitely have what everyone is looking for. You are literally a stones throw away from the amazing wells beach. I have made memories here young and old, and most importantly I can always count on courtesy by the staff and their willingness to accommodate you in every way they possibly can. Maine is a large part of my childhood memories and I'm still making memories there to this day. Also, you are only a couple minutes drive to some of the best dining experiences you could ever have and only a few mile drive to York beach or KennyBunkport which are two of my other favorite places to visit. I hope this helps because you can't go wrong with Maine and the Bellevue By the Sea just makes Maine that much more special. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013
Westborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We've stayed at the Bellevue a few times over the years and tried some other spots as well, but we keep coming back and always have the best time here. The price is amazing for what you get. It's so nice to be close to the ocean even in the cooler seasons and the indoor pool makes you feel completely on vacation no matter the weather. It also saves a ton in the summer when parking is at a premium; it's even closer to the beach than one of the town beach parking lots. There is only one parking space per unit and definitely no extra spots, so plan accordingly.

All of the front desk people we've encountered have been very nice and accommodating, especially Donna stands out, as others have mentioned. The lobby is beautiful and every room we've stayed in reasonably current looking and perfectly clean. I've stayed at much higher-end hotels when traveling for work that weren't as updated. The rooms here are each decorated very differently but I rather like a little variety instead of the institutional hotel decor. It feels much more like the comforts of home at the Bellevue and the kids always settle in quickly, especially with the chance to play in the pool!

We most recently stayed in 202 upstairs in the main building and were delighted to find it had a pull-down ("murphy?") extra twin bed. Like a pull-out sofa, it doesn't have the thickest mattress, but it's great for kids and they love that it folds up. I think that was our 7-year-old's favorite part of the trip! That plus the full sofa bed meant each kid got their own sleeping space and us parents had a quiet bedroom all to ourselves! There was even an air mattress in the closet, which we didn't need, but I guess a big group could get 6 people in there if they wanted to. The two TVs were really nice so everyone got to watch their favorite show in the evening, and we had DVDs for the kids as an extra option. I love the little charms of having board games and books available in the room, you just don't get that at a lot of places.

The kitchen was pretty functional for a small space and we found everything we needed to make a few meals. The cookware and even plates can be a little mismatched but it kind of added to the charm of the place. I imagine a lot gets broken and replaced over time and at least we weren't short on anything.

Our kids' favorite part is the pool and I rather like the hot tub. The pool area has gotten a lot nicer than I first remember it (it was okay back in the day, but now is cleaner and brighter). I think they refinished the inside of the pool itself, too. It's just big enough for the kids to play in the shallow end and adults to swim laps through to the deep end. No diving. It's nice and warm even when you can look out the windows to snow or rain, which is kind of neat. I always feel badly for the people walking by that don't get to enjoy the pool! There's also a sauna although I haven't used it myself.

There's also a room downstairs with space to play games, with more books and videos for everyone. There's even a pool table we could use for free. The kids thought that was pretty cool until they realized they needed to get a little taller to play effectively! I like that you have plenty of privacy but also the chance to meet other people and get the kids out of the room even if you're staying in for the night. I'd love to come back a few mores times with just my hubby for a couple's weekend, and I think it would be just as enjoyable if not more (but don't tell the kids)!

Room Tip: 202 is great with the extra space and even a tiny ocean view from the balcony! I can't remember...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Four of us stayed at one of the cottages at the Bellevue. The resort has a main complex with motel/hotel room, as well as a few cottages. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

The cottages are typical for the area, in that they are quite cozy (small), but have everything you need. There is a bathroom with shower, full kitchen, small living room and two bedrooms (one with one queen bed, and one with two twin beds). Some people complain

Staying at a cottage within a resort has a few benefits that one doesn't get at other small cottages in the area. At the Bellevue, everyone gets maid service daily. There is also a nearby office that is open everyday until 9pm, should you need anything. There is coffee offered in the early morning. There is a pool, jacuzzi and sauna area you have access to. You don't have to bring your own sheets for the beds, toilet paper or towels for showering. There is no commuting between cottage and office to pick up/return keys. It's all very convenient.

The only drawbacks to staying at a cottage in a resort compound, are that there is not as much space. There is no barbecue, and the parking space/parking area is a bit cramped. I think you could fit two small cars in the spot, but there is no additional parking available to you. The cottages also didn't have any of the beach items that other cottages we have rented have had lying around (beach chairs, parasols, etc.), but we always bring our own anyway.

As for anything else....Wifi was available, but often down. Those who are familiar with the area, know that the resort in general, is a few minutes walk to the beach. It is within walking distance to the beach shops, snack bars, etc. but driving is required to get to the grocery store (you could walk, but with grocery bags in hand, it would be awkward), and most area restaurants.

The beach is the main attraction, but outlet shopping in Kittery is a must, and about 20 minutes away.

Any questions...just ask.

Room Tip: Cottages can accommodate 4 people comfortably. All cottages seem to be about the same.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ware, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just got back from a wonderful one night stay at the Bellevue. The room was excellent & very clean. It had everything we needed & more. A woman named Donna worked the front desk & she made the stay even more enjoyable. She was very sweet & helpful & always addressed me by my first name. She was also very sweet to my children & listened to them tell her stories about their day at the beach. My 5 year old had just learned to swim under water & told Donna all about it & Donna told her when she saw her at the pool she would come in & see how well she could go under water & sure enough she kept to her word & came into the pool area & praised the kids on their swimming skills. The pool was beautiful the Jacuzzi was ok. It is the type of jacuzzi someone would purchase to put outdoors. It is an above ground unit not in ground like most hotels would have but I was happy that they at least had one. It is always nice to be able to soak in the jacuzzi after chilly windy day at the beach.
My only complains would be more about some of the other people staying there. There was a group of 5 Canadian adults ( at least I assume they were since allot of canadians travel to maine & they were speaking french) at the pool while the children were swimming. My daughter is young & wearing arm floaties which makes it obvious that she can not swim well on her own yet. This group was careless of the children in the pool and came very close to my daughter while they were apparently having races swimming back & forth in the pool with no care or concern to look out for the 3 children that were in the pool. My other complaint was at 1am the people in the room above us sounded like they were rearranging furniture. The noise continued for approx. 20 mins. I guess no matter where you stay you never know what type of people will also be there at that time & you just hope they are respectful. Last minor complaint is there is a very late check in time! The check in time is 3pm & check out is at 10 am.
All in all I did enjoy my stay at the Bellevue very much & absolutely plan on returning! Excellent place to get away. We were all sad to leave & head back home. Thank you Donna for your hospitality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bellevue By The Sea? Share your experiences!