“A place where both families and couples can experience the best beaches and local restaurants while maintaining the privacy of r” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bellevue By The Sea

Bellevue By The Sea
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wells
Bellevue By The Sea
Save Saved
You added Bellevue By The Sea to your Saves list
376 Mile Road, Wells, ME 04090   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Wells
North Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The Bellevue By the Sea has been a place I have vacationed at many times throughout my life childhood til now. The rooms are always clean and well kept. We found a little condo that was absolutely perfect with a built in fireplace and living room with pull out couch bed. Also, the master bedroom is disconnected from that portion leaving you with a feeling of privacy and romance. I have stayed there many many times and the rooms range in size and style but they definitely have what everyone is looking for. You are literally a stones throw away from the amazing wells beach. I have made memories here young and old, and most importantly I can always count on courtesy by the staff and their willingness to accommodate you in every way they possibly can. Maine is a large part of my childhood memories and I'm still making memories there to this day. Also, you are only a couple minutes drive to some of the best dining experiences you could ever have and only a few mile drive to York beach or KennyBunkport which are two of my other favorite places to visit. I hope this helps because you can't go wrong with Maine and the Bellevue By the Sea just makes Maine that much more special. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Westborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We've stayed at the Bellevue a few times over the years and tried some other spots as well, but we keep coming back and always have the best time here. The price is amazing for what you get. It's so nice to be close to the ocean even in the cooler seasons and the indoor pool makes you feel completely on vacation no matter the weather. It also saves a ton in the summer when parking is at a premium; it's even closer to the beach than one of the town beach parking lots. There is only one parking space per unit and definitely no extra spots, so plan accordingly.

All of the front desk people we've encountered have been very nice and accommodating, especially Donna stands out, as others have mentioned. The lobby is beautiful and every room we've stayed in reasonably current looking and perfectly clean. I've stayed at much higher-end hotels when traveling for work that weren't as updated. The rooms here are each decorated very differently but I rather like a little variety instead of the institutional hotel decor. It feels much more like the comforts of home at the Bellevue and the kids always settle in quickly, especially with the chance to play in the pool!

We most recently stayed in 202 upstairs in the main building and were delighted to find it had a pull-down ("murphy?") extra twin bed. Like a pull-out sofa, it doesn't have the thickest mattress, but it's great for kids and they love that it folds up. I think that was our 7-year-old's favorite part of the trip! That plus the full sofa bed meant each kid got their own sleeping space and us parents had a quiet bedroom all to ourselves! There was even an air mattress in the closet, which we didn't need, but I guess a big group could get 6 people in there if they wanted to. The two TVs were really nice so everyone got to watch their favorite show in the evening, and we had DVDs for the kids as an extra option. I love the little charms of having board games and books available in the room, you just don't get that at a lot of places.

The kitchen was pretty functional for a small space and we found everything we needed to make a few meals. The cookware and even plates can be a little mismatched but it kind of added to the charm of the place. I imagine a lot gets broken and replaced over time and at least we weren't short on anything.

Our kids' favorite part is the pool and I rather like the hot tub. The pool area has gotten a lot nicer than I first remember it (it was okay back in the day, but now is cleaner and brighter). I think they refinished the inside of the pool itself, too. It's just big enough for the kids to play in the shallow end and adults to swim laps through to the deep end. No diving. It's nice and warm even when you can look out the windows to snow or rain, which is kind of neat. I always feel badly for the people walking by that don't get to enjoy the pool! There's also a sauna although I haven't used it myself.

There's also a room downstairs with space to play games, with more books and videos for everyone. There's even a pool table we could use for free. The kids thought that was pretty cool until they realized they needed to get a little taller to play effectively! I like that you have plenty of privacy but also the chance to meet other people and get the kids out of the room even if you're staying in for the night. I'd love to come back a few mores times with just my hubby for a couple's weekend, and I think it would be just as enjoyable if not more (but don't tell the kids)!

Room Tip: 202 is great with the extra space and even a tiny ocean view from the balcony! I can't remember...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Four of us stayed at one of the cottages at the Bellevue. The resort has a main complex with motel/hotel room, as well as a few cottages. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

The cottages are typical for the area, in that they are quite cozy (small), but have everything you need. There is a bathroom with shower, full kitchen, small living room and two bedrooms (one with one queen bed, and one with two twin beds). Some people complain

Staying at a cottage within a resort has a few benefits that one doesn't get at other small cottages in the area. At the Bellevue, everyone gets maid service daily. There is also a nearby office that is open everyday until 9pm, should you need anything. There is coffee offered in the early morning. There is a pool, jacuzzi and sauna area you have access to. You don't have to bring your own sheets for the beds, toilet paper or towels for showering. There is no commuting between cottage and office to pick up/return keys. It's all very convenient.

The only drawbacks to staying at a cottage in a resort compound, are that there is not as much space. There is no barbecue, and the parking space/parking area is a bit cramped. I think you could fit two small cars in the spot, but there is no additional parking available to you. The cottages also didn't have any of the beach items that other cottages we have rented have had lying around (beach chairs, parasols, etc.), but we always bring our own anyway.

As for anything else....Wifi was available, but often down. Those who are familiar with the area, know that the resort in general, is a few minutes walk to the beach. It is within walking distance to the beach shops, snack bars, etc. but driving is required to get to the grocery store (you could walk, but with grocery bags in hand, it would be awkward), and most area restaurants.

The beach is the main attraction, but outlet shopping in Kittery is a must, and about 20 minutes away.

Any questions...just ask.

Room Tip: Cottages can accommodate 4 people comfortably. All cottages seem to be about the same.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ware, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just got back from a wonderful one night stay at the Bellevue. The room was excellent & very clean. It had everything we needed & more. A woman named Donna worked the front desk & she made the stay even more enjoyable. She was very sweet & helpful & always addressed me by my first name. She was also very sweet to my children & listened to them tell her stories about their day at the beach. My 5 year old had just learned to swim under water & told Donna all about it & Donna told her when she saw her at the pool she would come in & see how well she could go under water & sure enough she kept to her word & came into the pool area & praised the kids on their swimming skills. The pool was beautiful the Jacuzzi was ok. It is the type of jacuzzi someone would purchase to put outdoors. It is an above ground unit not in ground like most hotels would have but I was happy that they at least had one. It is always nice to be able to soak in the jacuzzi after chilly windy day at the beach.
My only complains would be more about some of the other people staying there. There was a group of 5 Canadian adults ( at least I assume they were since allot of canadians travel to maine & they were speaking french) at the pool while the children were swimming. My daughter is young & wearing arm floaties which makes it obvious that she can not swim well on her own yet. This group was careless of the children in the pool and came very close to my daughter while they were apparently having races swimming back & forth in the pool with no care or concern to look out for the 3 children that were in the pool. My other complaint was at 1am the people in the room above us sounded like they were rearranging furniture. The noise continued for approx. 20 mins. I guess no matter where you stay you never know what type of people will also be there at that time & you just hope they are respectful. Last minor complaint is there is a very late check in time! The check in time is 3pm & check out is at 10 am.
All in all I did enjoy my stay at the Bellevue very much & absolutely plan on returning! Excellent place to get away. We were all sad to leave & head back home. Thank you Donna for your hospitality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Methuen Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just came back the other day. Stayed in room 106 with husband and daughter. It was much more spacious feeling than most motel rooms. Clean room with just a few
out dated fixtures. Could use a new bathroom floor and rug. Other than those small
things, I must say it had everything you need for a nice getaway. Good size refrig, and stove if you wanted to cook something. Toaster and microwave were very useful. We are already talking about going back next year and staying longer too.
Beats other newer hotels that are not as close to the beach. Being able to walk to the beach in 2 minutes was the best!!!! We enjoyed our little porch at night as well. I Suggest you stay in the main building. Just seems like a better feel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Checkout website to pick your room before booking. Every room is slightly different
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Good size rooms, fully equipped kitchenette, very nice staff, steps from the ocean, you can't do any better! I love going there during winter or spring or summer.... The ocean is always beautiful, the people fabulous. I just love it!

Room Tip: Rooms are very different from each other - please take the time to ask questions when making reserva...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Very unreasonable cancellation policy. You can't book a room without paying for at least one nights stay. I needed to cancel 2 weeks before my visit and even though it was 2 weeks away they kept $50 of my deposit!!! Don't risk it unless you have trip insurance!!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bellevue By The Sea? Share your experiences!